117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Will only buy DSLR with LCD

89 76.07%
  • Will buy DSLR without LCD @ $100-200 Price Diff

3 2.56%
  • Will buy DSLR without LCD @ $201-300 price Diff

25 21.37%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DSLR without LCD, Who will buy???

Default Re: DSLR without LCD, Who will buy???

Frankly speaking, I would not buy such a camera.

When I use a DSLR, I use it for a specific function such as sports or action photography and where I wish to view the picture to make a judgement.

When I want to take pictures at my own pace, I will not even consider a digital camera, LCD or not. Instead, I use old manual cameras older then our country and enjoy using a piece of fine equipment.

Cost wise is not much of a concern. If you can't afford a DSLR, then get a prosumer, or a second hand model.

Samuel

But it appears that it is not true that NOBODY will want to buy a DSLR without an LCD screen. Personally, I use it to change settings more than previewing pictures. Even on an S3IS, I will use the EVF rather than the LCD screen for framing.

Seems around 25% will buy such a cam only......

But I will consider this cam, as with this, I believe batt life is much longer......

Really force u to compose and frame carefully before shooting....
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

How to vote??

ALL DSLRs since day one have LCDs.

show me an DSLR without an LCD and I might vote....

just poking fun at he poll....
    Last edited by Bluesteel; 4th September 2007 at 03:04 AM.

shouldn't we move forward instead of backwards?
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon View Post
    Nowaday, if you know how to use PS or similar software, who need to compose and frame a pic before shooting. In fact, the pro in the past uses darkroom technique to do the job. It is those of us who don't have the facility so we tried our best to compose and frame. Since technology has bring what the pro can do to the general users, why can't we enjoy what is given to us instead of thinking of the bad old days.

Quote Originally Posted by Parka View Post
    Back in the days where LCD didn't exist, people were still able to take good photos.
    More people today with digital camera take better photos especially with post processes. For example, how many took good firework pic in the past, now the screen setting can help a newbie or a small boy to do so. I remember a primary school boy took very nice firework pic with PnS with screen setting of course. Without LCD, how the newbie will know how to do such setting?

Quote Originally Posted by Parka View Post
    Back in the days where LCD didn't exist, people were still able to take good photos.
    Not only good photos but photos taken with confidence and skill too (no need editing required).

Digital photograph have a few key advantages over film.

1) Quick review to note exposure, composition. avoid excessive bracketing.
    2) Save long term cost of development
    3) Save from the need to carry films (and preserve them on trip) (however replace with needs to carry laptop)

I think the first gen digital back for large format and the F4 do not have a LCD, but instead connect straight to a MAC for display. But it is mainly aim at studio shoot and replace the need for polaroid.

If we consider from a marketing point, the target audience of a LCDless dSLR would need to be professional who is very familiar will the film way of taking photo, but this will be the group that place emphasize on optic, body build and other high-end features that the cost of LCD would really be a fraction of the cost.

So, unless a LCDless dSLR is going to be cheaper than a PnS with LCD, it will be difficult to find a audience.

I wish film SLR will have LCD preview before confirm record into slides/negative
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Seems around 25% will buy such a cam only......

But I will consider this cam, as with this, I believe batt life is much longer......

Well my D70 Nikon allows me to switch off my LCD...same thing don't you think? heheh And best of all.,...If I want it...it is still there for me to turn it on heh.

Isn't the LCD the whole point of having a DSLR? If not I might as well use film.

this poll is still alive?

Hmm, i wouldn't mind. part of the fun about film, is how the photo will turn out

this is going no where lah.....no camera company in their rite mind will manufacture DSLR without lcd

Definitely no company will do that. This poll, as the TS has put it, is meant for pure entertainment. I know for sure I don't miss the LCD screen. But it's helpful to have one.

no LCD. batt can last longer, why not?

DSLR all have LCD by default.
    SLR never have anything close....
    I am wondering, if there is a Purist DSLR... without LCD....

back in 1995, there were already quite a no of DLSRs launched without any LCD from Canon, Nikon using Kodak data packs

all the vintage Nikon and Kodak DSLR you can find in http://www.nikonweb.com/forum/
    Last edited by SFS; 9th September 2007 at 05:50 PM.

A true purists is one who seeks to preserve the most original, cleanest, best quality with nothing artificial in between.

Since the LCD screen doesn't affect the image, it has nothing to do with being a purist. With or without a LCD screen, the camera is the same lor...

If you're talking about getting a Leica, Rollei, or wadever...for the purpose of having the "purests of lenses", then arguable la... but no LCD...wat on earth..

If a "purist" wants to purposely buy a camera without a LCD, he is call a stupid, not a purists...he's just trying to be special....
    Last edited by melvinchen; 9th September 2007 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by melvinchen View Post
    If a "purist" wants to purposely buy a camera without a LCD, he is call a stupid, not a purists...he's just trying to be special....
    Agreed, in the past, the pro used Polaroid to preview their shots, if they had a LCD then, they would save a lot of $$. They wouldn't be so stupid right?

i'm still the type that will still look at my lcd after i know i did it correctly =X

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast