Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My buddy's got an "uncouth neighbour"

Blog Entries

Default Re: My buddy's got an "uncouth neighbour"

yeah good move, how to have war after that

Quote Originally Posted by DiGdUb View Post
    i wanted to ask for some suggestions on how to deal with this situation. yes, good to hear both sides, but i can say is i have never meant to intentionally offend this old man in anyway, yet he keeps being a nuisance right outside my door, without even telling me what he is unhappy with.
    i believe you did that out of your anger, but look at the kind of comments your video attracted at youtube. your neighbour was rude, you aren't very kind either putting that video on the internet, and those onlookers on youtube who threw in some disgusting comments are the worst.

even if you don't understand your neighbour, you know your neighbour better than anyone of us here. if you are afraid of dealing with him directly, do try the community mediation centre.

Member/Tangshooter

i wanted to ask for some suggestions on how to deal with this situation. yes, good to hear both sides, but i can say is i have never meant to intentionally offend this old man in anyway, yet he keeps being a nuisance right outside my door, without even telling me what he is unhappy with.
    continue to close ur doors, continue to let ur dog bark, continue to monitor the man, continue with ur life..
    what i see now is, there isn't any harm or damage done to u or ur family yet..live in harmony, play ur part..report to police if he breaks the law..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

From what I see of the video, besides your neighbour beating some objects together to irritate your dog, it also shows how your dog is still growling and barking even though your neighbour is at his own doorstep.

To be fair to all, you may love your dog but others might not see it that way and you cant say that they are wrong. Of course you can start the "unfeeling, uncaring, non dog lover means this and that", by the way I am just stating the usual comments made by pet owners when they find out about others that dont share their love for their pets. Your neighbour might not like your dog and your dog's barking might be irritating for him. Put yourself in his shoes, come home to door step, hear dog barking away like mad. Okay to you it is "oh my doggie talking to me... so cute" to others it is "that bloody noisy dog again!"

I would say try to get a third party like those mediation sessions to step in if you dont want to go talk to him. I mean you could ask him politely if your dog is disturbing him and then try to work something out? If not then let the mediaters step in as a third party. What you should not do is to post it on you tube and blow the whole matter big unless you want to be Everitt Part 2. End of the day, we are all neighbours, give and take....

Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post
    From what I see of the video, besides your neighbour beating some objects together to irritate your dog, it also shows how your dog is still growling and barking even though your neighbour is at his own doorstep.

To be fair to all, you may love your dog but others might not see it that way and you cant say that they are wrong. Of course you can start the "unfeeling, uncaring, non dog lover means this and that", by the way I am just stating the usual comments made by pet owners when they find out about others that dont share their love for their pets. Your neighbour might not like your dog and your dog's barking might be irritating for him. Put yourself in his shoes, come home to door step, hear dog barking away like mad. Okay to you it is "oh my doggie talking to me... so cute" to others it is "that bloody noisy dog again!"

I would say try to get a third party like those mediation sessions to step in if you dont want to go talk to him. I mean you could ask him politely if your dog is disturbing him and then try to work something out? If not then let the mediaters step in as a third party. What you should not do is to post it on you tube and blow the whole matter big unless you want to be Everitt Part 2. End of the day, we are all neighbours, give and take....
    i don't see how making my dog bark by agitating her will make him feel less irritated? if you look at the video, my dog does not bark or growl when he stops his actions. she only reacts when he makes the noise with the brush, and slam the door. he has no business outside my door, except for the personal stuff he puts inside the closet. why on earth does he think he has the right to do these, right outside my doorstep? on a previous occasion, when he didn't hear my dog bark, he banged his gate loudly just so my dog will bark, but my dog didn't bark. he continued to do the same staring thing from outside his door when my dog didn't bark. this is very ridiculous behaviour from him. its as if its he was born to agitate my dog into barking. and the best part? he used to have a dog which barked at me when i am going to my gate. we didn't do anything.

as for the video, its a reinforcement to show the gravity of how ridiculous his behaviour were, and asking for opinions on what would be an appropriate action to take.
    Last edited by DiGdUb; 3rd September 2007 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    i believe you did that out of your anger, but look at the kind of comments your video attracted at youtube. your neighbour was rude, you aren't very kind either putting that video on the internet, and those onlookers on youtube who threw in some disgusting comments are the worst.

even if you don't understand your neighbour, you know your neighbour better than anyone of us here. if you are afraid of dealing with him directly, do try the community mediation centre.
    to a certain, out of anger, but mostly due to frustration. if i was really angry, i would have opened up my door and expletives would have come out of my mouth already. it is my effort to keep things peaceful that i do not want to come to a scolding war with this old man, yet give him an inch, he takes a yard. the comments, i believe, are a reaction to the actions he does - unbeliveable and downright rude. i don't believe anyone, no matter how unhapppy, should do these kind of things, no less right in front of my doorstep, which he thinks is a space that he owns. i have come face to face with him a few times at the lift landing, if he has anything unhappy, he can tell me. he doesn't, and instead resort to such acts because he somehow thinks i am afraid of him by continuing to let him use the closet next to my gate, and doesn't complain when his children and friends used to play mahjong into the wee of the night with the main door open, or run a tube across my door step to the rubbish chute are to drain dirty water from his fish tank. and now he thinks he can play punk because my dog barked at him?

From my point of view, TS may loose out in the end, the mediation may be that the neighbour has to clear out his tempy store room, and TS mya have to muzzle the pet.

To me, that would not be ideal to TS but might be ideal to his neighbour. Not taking sides, it is in TS interest that it not go to mediation by 3rd. party. My 2 cents.

Like some others, I think posting the video is a bad decision.

../azul123

as for the video, its a reinforcement to show the gravity of how ridiculous his behaviour were, and asking for opinions on what would be an appropriate action to take.
    In his defence he can say that your video is only half the story, the dog was barking for sometime already and the video only captures the part when he goes out of his house and giving his nieghbour a nosiy treatment and that's when he started banging away.

The video did not reinforce anything, because it is debatable.

../azul123

Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    From my point of view, TS may loose out in the end, the mediation may be that the neighbour has to clear out his tempy store room, and TS mya have to muzzle the pet.

To me, that would not be ideal to TS but might be ideal to his neighbour. Not taking sides, it is in TS interest that it not go to mediation by 3rd. party. My 2 cents.

Like some others, I think posting the video is a bad decision.

../azul123
    thanks for the advice. i have posted in other forums before, without the video, and most of them just say ignore him lah. i don't think they get the impact of the frustration i have almost everyday with this man. a picture speaks a thousand words, and a video speaks a gazillon? lol. but anyway, i will remove the video tonight since i have shown what this man does.

I had a similar situation with my eldest child, she likes Japanese songs, to her it is music. Since I don't understand a single word of it, it is all noise to me. Fortunately, headphones are cheap and easy to put on, so issue no more.

This case involves nieghbours and looking at what it has become, it is not looking good.

../azul123

In his defence he can say that your video is only half the story, the dog was barking for sometime already and the video only captures the part when he goes out of his house and giving his nieghbour a nosiy treatment and that's when he started banging away.

The video did not reinforce anything, because it is debatable.

../azul123
    well, i have a video as well showing this man behaving absolutely 'normally' by not banging on things to make noise, and my dog only gives normal sporadic bark when he comes near my door to take things from his closet. his problem? he comes to agitate my dog as and when he feels like it. if you want to see that, i can post that video as well. and does banging on things, no less right outside my door and the closet which he should be not using in the first place, correct? if i don't like my neighbour shouting (which i happen to have below me) loudly to her maid everyday, should i go infront of her doorstep and make all sort of noise 'in revenge'? or do i tell her politely to lower the volume?

I had a similar situation with my eldest child, she likes Japanese songs, to her it is music. Since I don't understand a single word of it, it is all noise to me. Fortunately, headphones are cheap and easy to put on, so issue no more.

This case involves nieghbours and looking at what it has become, it is not looking good.

../azul123
    trust me, i have been very tolerant of his 'i own this corridor' antics already. until when he decides to slam doors and make noise to purposely agitate my dog that i feel something needs to be done.

Blog Entries

well, i have a video as well showing this man behaving absolutely 'normally' by not banging on things to make noise, and my dog only gives normal sporadic bark when he comes near my door to take things from his closet. his problem? he comes to agitate my dog as and when he feels like it. if you want to see that, i can post that video as well. and does banging on things, no less right outside my door and the closet which he should be not using in the first place, correct? if i don't like my neighbour shouting (which i happen to have below me) loudly to her maid everyday, should i go infront of her doorstep and make all sort of noise 'in revenge'? or do i tell her politely to lower the volume?
    you tell her politely to lower the volume

be the man and politely ask her if your dog is barking too loud, then you can have a nice chat on how to solve the problem.

if not then it is a never ending war of revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post

be the man and politely ask her if your dog is barking too loud, then you can have a nice chat on how to solve the problem.

yes i will be talking to him. if he listens that is.

problem is, can the dog lower the volume as well?

must give and take abit, world will be a better place mah...

sometimes have to do self reflection before pointing fingers at others, maybe he is thinking, damnit, this guy never teach his dog manners, keep barking non stop, 24 hours a day, i next day gotta work... then got grandson/daughter at home, then this dog bark, frighten the kids... blah blah blah... enuff is enuff... revenge... so geh geh put things in the closet but main motive is to irritate the dog...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Blog Entries

some nice food to break the ice and keep his mouth occupied
    would do the trick

some nice food to break the ice and keep his mouth occupied
    would do the trick
    do prayers at door front then invite them over to eat... 7th month harmony...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    problem is, can the dog lower the volume as well?

must give and take abit, world will be a better place mah...

sometimes have to do self reflection before pointing fingers at others, maybe he is thinking, damnit, this guy never teach his dog manners, keep barking non stop, 24 hours a day, i next day gotta work... then got grandson/daughter at home, then this dog bark, frighten the kids... blah blah blah... enuff is enuff... revenge... so geh geh put things in the closet but main motive is to irritate the dog...
    i already close my wooden door to lower down the barking volume. and i think he sees it as a sign that i am afraid. anyway, my dog don't bark unless agitated or strangers near the door. he comes near my door to open the closet, then what can i do. i can't control him from coming near my door, can i.

i don't see how making my dog bark by agitating her will make him feel less irritated? if you look at the video, my dog does not bark or growl when he stops his actions. she only reacts when he makes the noise with the brush, and slam the door. he has no business outside my door, except for the personal stuff he puts inside the closet. why on earth does he think he has the right to do these, right outside my doorstep? on a previous occasion, when he didn't hear my dog bark, he banged his gate loudly just so my dog will bark, but my dog didn't bark. he continued to do the same staring thing from outside his door when my dog didn't bark. this is very ridiculous behaviour from him. its as if its he was born to agitate my dog into barking. and the best part? he used to have a dog which barked at me when i am going to my gate. we didn't do anything.

Hmmmm not pointing any arrows at you but rather instead of harping on how he is making your dog bark... errr you did point out yourself, your dog barks and as you said your dog barks when someone is near the door. I would say why not do yourself, your neighbours (not only him but everyone around) a big favour by bringing your dog for obedience courses so that he or she can stop barking on command. Frankly this is not going to help your case and you are just going to irritate the hell out of everyone on the same floor by having your dog bark non stop each time someone comes near the door. If your dog is well trained enough not to bark whenever someone comes near the dog, wouldnt it be peace and quiet for all? We understand your frustrations but this is really not going to help. As for why he didnt talk to you when he sees you face to face.... mmm you can ask yourself the same question too, why didnt you go talk to him about him using the HDB closet outside your door? This issue will just go on and on and never get solved.

Honestly dogs barking wantonly away can be pretty irritating.... even though to me a dog lover. In the place where I am staying, there is even a dog that lives on the 4th floor and barks like a mad fellow when a car is parked in the carpark lot below the flat.... yes it is that crazy.....and trust me the barks reverb along that entire corridor.
    Last edited by aeskywan; 3rd September 2007 at 06:50 PM.

Hmmmm not pointing any arrows at you but rather instead of harping on how he is making your dog bark... errr you did point out yourself, your dog barks and as you said your dog barks when someone is near the door. I would say why not do yourself, your neighbours (not only him but everyone around) a big favour by bringing your dog for obedience courses so that he or she can stop barking on command. Frankly this is not going to help your case and you are just going to irritate the hell out of everyone on the same floor by having your dog bark non stop each time someone comes near the door. If your dog is well trained enough not to bark whenever someone comes near the dog, wouldnt it be peace and quiet for all? We understand your frustrations but this is really not going to help. As for why he didnt talk to you when he sees you face to face.... mmm you can ask yourself the same question too, why didnt you go talk to him about him using the HDB closet outside your door? This issue will just go on and on and never get solved.

Honestly dogs barking wantonly away can be pretty irritating.... even though to me a dog lover. In the place where I am staying, there is even a dog that lives on the 4th floor and barks like a mad fellow when a car is parked in the carpark lot below the flat.... yes it is that crazy.....and trust me the barks reverb along that entire corridor.
    well, my dog barks at him when he makes all these noise. she has no problems with other neighbours, even when they walk past to throw rubbish at the rubbish chute area which is adjacent to my unit. my dog is not like a crazy dog, which will bark on end non stop for nothing. anyone comes, at most she gives a few barks, and she know the person mean no harm, she will just sit there and watch. this man just likes to annoy the hell out of my dog with all the antics you see in the video. does your dog bark firecely when someone tries to play a fool with him? anyway, this man has no business whatsoever outside my door at all, much less raise a ruckus right outside my gate as and when he see fit.
    Last edited by DiGdUb; 3rd September 2007 at 09:05 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast