Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Photoshop or NO Photoshop

Default Re: Photoshop or NO Photoshop

Quote Originally Posted by hidden3 View Post
    Nowadays many pictures are edited. Im curious to know whether pictures need to be edited or just using the features of a DSLR camera can change or edit the taking of the pictures.
    Basically, just asking whether you need to know how to edit pictures to become a good photographer? or just camera alone is able to make wonders.
    Hi Hidden3,

By the very nature of digital capture, most, if not all, digital images need some degree of refinements to correct the artifacts created by digital capture. A digital image, for instance, cannot at today's technology able to cleanly capture "tack sharpness" due to the image sensor's inability to clearly separate edges of an image. This needs to be further enhanced by software to increase the contrast at the edges, either within the camera or outside using the PC.

Personally,I feel there shld be no hard and fast rules. There are some purists who will insist there shld not be any manipulation,not even cropping of the image. But photography, to me, is after all an art. It is expression of how we see the world and how we want to communicate that expression to others.

Do what you think "feels" right. Don't be limited by what others think. If there are new tools available, try them out and see if they can help you "express" yourselves. It is your art after all. Learn all you can from the experts and then develop a style of your own. Along the way, don't forget to have fun. Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by lightbrush View Post
    Hi Hidden3,

By the very nature of digital capture, most, if not all, digital images need some degree of refinements to correct the artifacts created by digital capture. A digital image, for instance, cannot at today's technology able to cleanly capture "tack sharpness" due to the image sensor's inability to clearly separate edges of an image. This needs to be further enhanced by software to increase the contrast at the edges, either within the camera or outside using the PC.

Personally,I feel there shld be no hard and fast rules. There are some purists who will insist there shld not be any manipulation,not even cropping of the image. But photography, to me, is after all an art. It is expression of how we see the world and how we want to communicate that expression to others.

Do what you think "feels" right. Don't be limited by what others think. If there are new tools available, try them out and see if they can help you "express" yourselves. It is your art after all. Learn all you can from the experts and then develop a style of your own. Along the way, don't forget to have fun. Best of luck!
    I like the above and well said.

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    Understandable why News Publisher shouldn't use any photo that is PS before.....

But for Avg Joe like us.... hahaha, what's the harm

Of course not if we intented to cheat or lie about something using the photo.....
    I believe they still do stuff like increase contrast and saturation to bring out the picture for print, but hopefully not head transplant

But for most glamour magazines, FHM, HerWorld etc, PS is the name of game. Extreme eyes sharpening, skin smoothening, blemish removals...quite obvious if you look closely enuff. No wonder the girl-in-the-street is fighting a loosing battle trying to achieve the "magazine look"!

I believe they still do stuff like increase contrast and saturation to bring out the picture for print, but hopefully not head transplant

But for most glamour magazines, FHM, HerWorld etc, PS is the name of game. Extreme eyes sharpening, skin smoothening, blemish removals...quite obvious if you look closely enuff. No wonder the girl-in-the-street is fighting a loosing battle trying to achieve the "magazine look"!
    Well... we can help them. For their pictures only...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Hahaha... Air-brush away lines and eye sack from the face

Scuba & Father... For Life

I used to own a digital point-n-shoot (PNS) 5 years ago. Back those days, I believed that a true photographer gets the image right at the point when he/she press the shutter. I never post process to improve or enhance my images unless something is wrong in the image (WB or exposure).

After owning a DSLR, i post process 90% of my images! Then I started to ponder, having equiped with a better camera now, yet I post process my images more extensively than PNS days. Isn't a DSLR suppose to capture better image than a normal PNS?

Then slowly I understand why i post process so much more than before. As u improve, u demand from the image u taken. Then i know.. ahh~.... I'm improving!

Quote Originally Posted by copycat View Post

Then slowly I understand why i post process so much more than before. As u improve, u demand from the image u taken. Then i know.. ahh~.... I'm improving!
    Thanks... and interesting point I never thot of this.

Add:
    Can take a look in this http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost....90&postcount=1 I too feel it is over PP, but to each his own.

no offend and I am sorry in advance.

YMMV
    Last edited by longkangman; 3rd September 2007 at 01:06 PM.

Hi Hidden3,

nicely said! i'm currently learning how to use PS though i had it in my computer for about a few years already. havent really touched it. and i feel that its quite okaye to touch up on your pictures a little, its like girls putting make-up.

a little make-up can change an appearance of one girl, but too much of a make-up might me redundant. so after all you're taking picture for yourself and editing it to your own preference. thanks for the comments and ideas people!
    One day you'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by longkangman View Post
    Thanks... and interesting point I never thot of this.

Add:
    Can take a look in this http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost....90&postcount=1 I too feel it is over PP, but to each his own.

no offend and I am sorry in advance.

YMMV
    In my opinion it's considered okay.. like the 'normal' photoshop processes magazines and such use, and of course it's to each person's opinions, some prefer their subject to look 'perfect', others like to see the imperfections as they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Elgaris View Post
    In my opinion it's considered okay.. like the 'normal' photoshop processes magazines and such use, and of course it's to each person's opinions, some prefer their subject to look 'perfect', others like to see the imperfections as they are.
    Yes I do agreed with you.

Just wonder.... Mona Lisa smile was not perfect... so that is why it is heavily debated right??? And it is a master piece????
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

i try and get photos almost 100% how i want them straight out of the camera.

this is for three reasons:
    1. my photoshop skills are horrible
    2. most of the time i cbf post processing
    3. it's better to have it perfect straight out of the camera

tho i still shoot in RAW jsut so i can have the option of correcting everything later and having as little loss in detail as possible.
    5D | 24-70L | 28mm f/1.8 | 580EX

Quote Originally Posted by hidden3 View Post
    Nowadays many pictures are edited. Im curious to know whether pictures need to be edited or just using the features of a DSLR camera can change or edit the taking of the pictures.
    Basically, just asking whether you need to know how to edit pictures to become a good photographer? or just camera alone is able to make wonders.
    to draw a parallel, there are movie directors who make good movies without computer graphics, there are movie directors who make good movies with computer graphics.

In my opinion, I don't agree with heavily photoshopping photos. I myself, at most, do adjustments to lighting if the picture is too dark or too bright or do editing if my model has a very obvious pimple on her nose or something. Too much photoshop takes the skill out of photography because my friend with a PnS camera can take pictures and then photoshop them till they look brilliant. Where's the fun in that? It's up to you to get your camera settings right so you can take that one great shot.

Deregistered

To each their own.

I use PhotoShop where it comes to work images, it is necessary because my clients demand it. Whether to touch up skin or to remove an unwelcome object/person, it is a necessity.

But for my personal landscapes/nature/macro pics, I choose to rely on myself and what I can squeeze out of the camera. Hence my out-of-camera approach.

For my personal streets/abstracts, I do use PhotoShop, and only for effects. Toning, aging, partial desat, melting, just some Actions I use.

So, am I purist? Or am I a PhotoShopper? I do not think it is wrong to use PS, as there are individuals who are pretty weak at the camera-use side, and they get back in the darkroom to make their pictures look a little better. The overuse of HDR does compensate for weaker or lousy photography skills, too.

Added :- there is another similar story here>> http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...=299658&page=2
    Last edited by Azure; 5th September 2007 at 07:54 AM.

I believe every photo needs to be touched up as well, especially from an amateur like me. Mainly use it for colour adjustments and composition only, but if they are to be published I use PS to clone, heal my subjects to make them look a little better.

It you wanna to learn some Photoshop techniques, I actually recommend the Photoshop books by Scott Kelby. Available in Borders, Kino, Amazon. I have gone through many way to try and learn PS, and I find books by Kelby to be the best. My best $60 investment for PP learning.
    Nikon D90, Nikkor 18-200mm VR, Sigma 10-20mm
    http://www.biinary.com

shoot as well as you can in camera.
    use post processing softwares to enhance your images, not to undo your mistakes.
    just remember, sh*t in = sh*t out.

Always shoot like there's no photoshop

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    Understandable why News Publisher shouldn't use any photo that is PS before.....

But for Avg Joe like us.... hahaha, what's the harm

Of course not if we intented to cheat or lie about something using the photo.....
    Please familiarise yourself with the differences. Image editing/enhancing is very different from altering an image.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12