Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Keelung rejoiced (H series)

Default Re: Keelung rejoiced (H series)

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    lovely! i can see the need to shoot this from a low angle, but perhaps cropping away part of the immense amount of space at the bottom might work better, i don't know though.
    you are quite true to say that, becos that is what i was thinking just now, about the valid points you have said. i dare not go any nearer than where i am, and it is quite a fast snap, leaving a large amount of space.

i left it as such only for two reasons,
    1. i have the obscession of not changing my aspect ratio, and intend to keep the original width for the details.
    2. it is fine to me after i slot in my watermark. without that to balance, it would be really awful though.
    3. unless i tilt further upwards, cropping off too much foreground space will lose impact of perspective.
    Last edited by zoossh; 25th November 2007 at 12:07 AM.

offerings and local products. actually my fav due to its local flavor and good lighting.

Last edited by zoossh; 5th June 2009 at 12:23 AM.

#30 hai kung. think this is the research vessel that represents taiwan's expedition to antartica in 1976. i wish i can dig more story about it. actually very often, these less and non explored locations are the best places for originality and some little warm feelings. i always prefer towns than cities. give me eiffel and louvre, and i will prefer an unvisited japanese fishing village instead.

Last edited by zoossh; 13th September 2008 at 10:02 AM.

another take of bisha harbor at sunrise. it is always a pain to wake up early, but since i have paid so much to stay near the harbor, should not waste it. taiwan is expensive for my budget, about S$150 per day for that small hotel i stayed. it can of cos go cheaper for out of the way dirty little rooms, but having to pay S$60-150 is still too expensive. but well, all my colleagues spent a lot more for accomodation and its seem usual for them... maybe i'm just less singaporean than others. i only need a place with good proximity, safe, and have a decent place to wash/toilet, and would go as cheap as possible... ultimately i would want to photograph around the area and not the hotel itself.

i made my best to wake up (although in the end not that early enough). i ended up jogging a couple of hundreds of meters while racing against the sunrise and got a few shots before it is too late. my time duration for the shot - 2 mins. it should have been at least an hour, i greatly appreciated when i arrives at purah tanah lot (bali) at 4pm+, just great to capture late afternoon mid-day light going on to low light going on to saffron and sunset in that 2hrs.

a person's personality does determine much of the photographic outcome. landscape photography demands patience, discipline and some good fitness. other people like me can only make the best out of the limited landscape i offered myself, some other photographer make their way out to "create" the landscape opportunities for themselves. have you ever scouted an area in the dark to hunt for a vantage? that makes a landscape/large architecture photographer.... look at some masterpieces from giantcanopy at his castle at osaka.

Last edited by zoossh; 13th September 2008 at 09:51 AM.

another take of waimushan at keelung. till now i wonder what transport is best for a lone photographer. it is in the middle of nowhere. taxi drop you from town, but for an hour walk on return until the fringe of town, no sight of a single taxi returning to town. these photographers that i see photographing the sea and the rocks in bright 8-9am daylight came in the usual big bus-like coach. they comes in a group of perhaps 20 photographers, mostly in their 30-50s, swarming the area. as can be seen on the lighting on the sea, it is very overcast

it is a bad day for me for a good place like this. first of all, i get quite a shitty beach that the 5am taxi brought me through darkness and dropping me in nowhere, the morning haze is so bad that sunrise is as good as none, and i have to walk back many kilometers while looking out for a cab, and then i saw these photographers getting a great place which at that time, i'm exhausted and feeling guilty of holding someone with me who is not into photography. so i shot a few distant shots from the highway, and promptly left after about 10mins of stop.

Last edited by zoossh; 13th September 2008 at 01:09 PM.

i really like your photos, trip to keelung, u add life to ur photos by addin descriptions , ur day photos colors are very beautiful... do u use GND filters for them ??

Nice shots zoosh! Love how your street photography is different from most in the sense that it's truly life, and not restricted to the "laws of photography".

Is it me or are some shots soft like the waimushan shots though? It's probably just me with a preference for sharpness in my photos.
    Redsports.sg
    Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by yumyum View Post
    i really like your photos, trip to keelung, u add life to ur photos by addin descriptions , ur day photos colors are very beautiful... do u use GND filters for them ??
    some. usually visible gradients.

Quote Originally Posted by Windward View Post
    Nice shots zoosh! Love how your street photography is different from most in the sense that it's truly life, and not restricted to the "laws of photography".

Is it me or are some shots soft like the waimushan shots though? It's probably just me with a preference for sharpness in my photos.
    nope, it is me. my 18-200mm lens is having problems with focusing at one point of time, but i can't rem if it is this trip. as my vision is poor and the viewfinder small, i doubt manual focusing is a solution at that point of time.

bisha port at keelung, facing the keelung isle on the right/ i took a few at
    slightly different focal length, but pick the one with the boat just making a
    turn far in front of the isle

Last edited by zoossh; 26th November 2009 at 06:01 PM.

Zoossh, Ur series never fail to draw my attention. Was in Taiwan 2 times but never have chance to visit Keelung. Heard of its beauty, u translate it in ur photos completely. I love #4 and #30.
    Last edited by jtsky; 5th June 2009 at 09:37 AM.

really enjoy to watch you pic!gd job

shabu shabu are extra-thin slice of beef that is swish swosh in pots. taiwan
    is the 2nd best place for japanese food, after going through half a century
    of nipponification that it becomes part of its inherent culture and she continues
    to be influenced.

Last edited by zoossh; 26th November 2009 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post

waimushan rocks. a better location than the one that the stupid taxi driver drove me to. i walk back 2km and found a large group (at least 10 and more) of local photographers down on the rocks. i'm not sure if they are purely interested in macro and abstract, as they all cluster down there. i wasn't in the mood after walking 2km in hot summer, and did not bother to explore down there. given a better weather (not spring or summer, give me 15 degrees please) and with a few photographer friends, i dun mind going back to keelung for this.

was pmed on the above, hereby is the vague memory i can gather about the location.

the below is the signboard at the location where there are fantastic rock formations. i left before sunrise
    and got on a cab with the driver uncertain where to drop me despite of me saying waimushan. so the
    location i drop off is an unknown location of flat uninteresting rocks probably at least 6-7km away from
    the fringe of town. when i walk about 40mins ON THE WAY BACK, i encountered this colorful rocks (i couldn't
    stay for long as the person with me is very tired and i felt bad).

i will describe as follow, in the direction from KEELUNG TOWARDS THE COLORFUL ROCKS AT WAIMUSHAN,
    which is on a westward route along the coast. depending on your browser, you can use google map or
    panaramio to trace the route. the pictures links below are linked to panoramio. if you use google, type in
    the search word waimushan, "hongshuiao" will only appear at certain scales (dunno why).
    http://www.panoramio.com/map/#lt=25....&k=2&a=1&tab=1

within "civilisation" is the western fringe of the keelung town at waimushan fish port, as below, where you will see
    big flat column of (water?) tanks as in the panoramio picture inside. you can consider some architecture shot
    http://www.panoramio.com/photo/5469022

then about 2km away, is hong shui ao. i presume is this location i shot below where there is an area of sea water
    sheltered from the larger waves where people can relatively safely swim in. there is a wooden platform and shelter
    much higher where people barbecue and change (in rooms, not in the open). though no drinks seem to be sold, it
    is a comfortable location to shoot or just to see people swimming below.

then about 30mins walk (maybe another 3km) away is the location of the rocks, which on panoromio is as below
    http://www.panoramio.com/photo/18526042

at about the same location is another shot that if you are well prepared, well skilled and well timed with good weather.
    http://www.panoramio.com/photo/9257289

and finally, another 40mins away is the rubbish location i ended up doing most of my shots at 6am. you dun need
    to reach this location.
    http://www.panoramio.com/photo/11181312
    Last edited by zoossh; 21st January 2010 at 03:13 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234