Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keelung rejoiced (H series)

Default Re: Keelung rejoiced (H series)

Quote Originally Posted by swishbrade View Post
    Zoosh. You have got a great eye which turns ordinary living into scenes from postcards. I always look forward to checking out your posts.

May I ask, if I'm keen on learning the skills of using filters, would you have any good sites or books to recommend?

Cheers

John
    the forum already have a few threads, including mine, covering a few common filters, namely UV, CPL, ND, GND. UV is primarily as protectors and the latter three are essential filters that deals with exposure control.

the difficulty is rather of fine tuning their effects to individual scenes of various exposure. and the complex parts comes with those who uses stacked filters on tripod for landscape shots.

you should just read up on them to know the basic function. the rest is best done by trial and error. you can post more specified questions after trying them out.

Quote Originally Posted by asterixsg View Post
    zoossh,
    in this series, there are some street candids that i like, but the one i liked most was #18. i've been to quite a few seasides myself, but never got anything like this however hard i tried. you, night86mare and few others on this forum make it look so easy to shoot such photographs. i could never get the soft effect of the surf.
    oh no. actually i didn't like this pic a lot. i like the little girl shot #13 better with that kind of color combination.

shot at 2/3s. the pattern relies on the timing of waves and the kind of shores, so you may not get this kind of effect unless you got this kind of rocks.

the waves can be seen as a tide parallel to the horizon, making a demarcation of tones, worsened by the use of GND with color tinge. it subsequently breaks in the further end, causing some water to spurt vertically upwards on the mid left. some swivel around the shallower rock surface and cause a dimple as seen in the mid right. by the time, it hits the shore, it is of low velocity, moving in with more froth, which with long exposure will form such netting pattern. with even longer exposure, they will smoothen out to be cloudy.

the bad part of the picture is that the sky is bland and the rocks lacks compositional strength. having the waves alone is kind of weak.

Last edited by zoossh; 2nd October 2008 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    have a lot to learn regarding street photog from him
    for streets, i suggest looking at sniperD and meljnes.

taiwanese oil chicken

Last edited by zoossh; 2nd October 2008 at 11:44 PM.

leaders of the pack.

Last edited by zoossh; 2nd October 2008 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    the forum already have a few threads, including mine, covering a few common filters, namely UV, CPL, ND, GND. UV is primarily as protectors and the latter three are essential filters that deals with exposure control.

the difficulty is rather of fine tuning their effects to individual scenes of various exposure. and the complex parts comes with those who uses stacked filters on tripod for landscape shots.

you should just read up on them to know the basic function. the rest is best done by trial and error. you can post more specified questions after trying them out.
    Thanks Zoosh
    Stop Shopp'in Start Shoot'in
    What's in my Flickr?

taoist deities. with a modern lacquered plasticky face. and electric bulbs as worshipping lamps. something quite taiwanese.

Last edited by zoossh; 2nd October 2008 at 11:55 PM.

buying of fishes at kanziding market

Last edited by zoossh; 2nd October 2008 at 11:54 PM.

#24 leaders of the pack.

love this, dude, along with the last shot

you capture life as it is very well almost like you live there

i kind of like their expressions and was satisfied with the perspective. the background is kind of messy and not easily avoidable, but fortunately i think didn't interfere with my main subject - the faces.

but wasn't very satisfied with the colors of the last pic you mentioned. not sure if it is the color reproduction from the lens, or that the "tuna" color is hard to handle for me. i also have problems with strong reds. they are too bright for me.

Zoosh. May I know what settings you used for the tuna market shot? Thanks
    Stop Shopp'in Start Shoot'in
    What's in my Flickr?

waimushan rocks. a better location than the one that the stupid taxi driver drove me to. i walk back 2km and found a large group (at least 10 and more) of local photographers down on the rocks. i'm not sure if they are purely interested in macro and abstract, as they all cluster down there. i wasn't in the mood after walking 2km in hot summer, and did not bother to explore down there. given a better weather (not spring or summer, give me 15 degrees please) and with a few photographer friends, i dun mind going back to keelung for this.

Last edited by zoossh; 2nd October 2008 at 11:53 PM.

i kind of like their expressions and was satisfied with the perspective. the background is kind of messy and not easily avoidable, but fortunately i think didn't interfere with my main subject - the faces.

but wasn't very satisfied with the colors of the last pic you mentioned. not sure if it is the color reproduction from the lens, or that the "tuna" color is hard to handle for me. i also have problems with strong reds. they are too bright for me.
    yes, background is quite messy but luckily there is some order, and to be honest i think the background is nice complement with sky, very colourful picture in its own way

i am also amused by the fact taht almost everyone in the picture seems to be wearing a hat

the last picture, i think it is fine considering it is taken at night? at least seems so; my only quarrel with it is that the face of the lady vendor? customer? not very sure could be sharper

how do you put it, it's like you are amongst them, not an observer but also a participant, mmm, i think that is very important in travel photography
    Last edited by night86mare; 25th September 2007 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by swishbrade View Post
    Zoosh. May I know what settings you used for the tuna market shot? Thanks
    10mm, ISO400, matrix EV-0, f/4, 1/125s

yes, background is quite messy but luckily there is some order, and to be honest i think the background is nice complement with sky, very colourful picture in its own way
    the decorated lorries are fine. the black LCD screen is a little flaw on the top left.

i am also amused by the fact taht almost everyone in the picture seems to be wearing a hat
    summer maybe? or is it a culture shared with the japanese? i dunno. even the photographers are wearing hats. anyway, it is perhaps a peculiar culture in singapore that it means to people from elsewhere, almost no one wears hat, esp girls. at most we see some guys with some baseball cap.

the last picture, i think it is fine considering it is taken at night? at least seems so; my only quarrel with it is that the face of the lady vendor? customer? not very sure could be sharper
    yah, i think my focus is on the cash (which is overblown in highlights due to reflection), and with wide DOF, managed to catch faces in focus but not that sharp.

1/125s in 10mm. i dun think it is due to head movement. in fact, i think i can go down to 1/30s with minimal and not too fast movement.

she's doing wholesale.

#27 waimushan rocks. a better location than the one that the stupid taxi driver drove me to. i walk back 2km and found a large group (at least 10 and more) of local photographers down on the rocks. i'm not sure if they are purely interested in macro and abstract, as they all cluster down there. i wasn't in the mood after walking 2km in hot summer, and did not bother to explore down there. given a better weather (not spring or summer, give me 15 degrees please) and with a few photographer friends, i dun mind going back to keelung for this.

I like the rocks. Very nice. If you can plan a visit to Keelung on a budget, please count me in.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt....

Quote Originally Posted by asterixsg View Post
    I like the rocks. Very nice. If you can plan a visit to Keelung on a budget, please count me in.
    budget wise, taiwan is not really a good idea. you pay S$100-150 (NT$2000-3000) per double from most available information online. but i realise that there are those motels at keelung that are not listed in the internet, with possibly S$40-70 (NT$800-1500) per double, if you dun mind dirty smelly little rooms with some sneaky activities going around.

i have a hard time there becos i picked a non-touristy location and chose a "backpack" style. this is initially what i want to take but plans are changed. i look at taiwan slightly differently after seeing alidarbac's photos. he's an american staying in ilan, and probably knows more locations than some taiwanese do. some places seems nice and photographic no matter which way you walk, while some places are utterly boring until you start digging into it. taiwan belongs to the latter.

if you have been to HK a few times, you may notice that it is not as easy to get nice blue sky like that in australia. this location is only worthwhile if you are crazy about rocks and landscape, plus good luck in weather. but there are many such locations in northeastern taiwan due to its unique weather, which is good for such themes.

a higher possibility for me to go again to taiwan is to get hold of an aboriginal harvest festival and pass enroute via northeastern taiwan. but too many places on the wishlist, and taiwan isn't really a choice this time and not sure when would i slot that in.
    Last edited by zoossh; 26th September 2007 at 05:31 PM.

zoossh,
    thanks for the clarification. for some reason, Taiwan has never been on my wish list. i want to see so many places in China - even if I go to one province every year and see only the popular places good for landscapes (not counting the big cities - I am not interested in any of those), it will take me a decade or two. will show you a book on China when we meet next. i feel like quitting my job and go travelling around.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt....

dragon dance

Last edited by zoossh; 2nd October 2008 at 11:51 PM.

lovely! i can see the need to shoot this from a low angle, but perhaps cropping away part of the immense amount of space at the bottom might work better, i don't know though.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast