Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Overcast Prague

  1. #1

    Default Overcast Prague

    I always wanted to portray a city shone by angel rays from sky. My personal take was to have leaves and city both in focus. However, the depth of field is just impossible to achieve.

    Please give suggestions/feedback on:
    - your personal visual feedback based on first impression and elaborate
    - ways to improve visual feedback

    Thank you for the time.

    Last edited by iceberg; 2nd September 2007 at 06:31 AM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Overcast Prague

    Maybe a bit too overcast. A grad ND filter would have helped. I'd also get rid of the branches and leaves.

  3. #3
    Senior Member yokechye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    2,892

    Default Re: Overcast Prague

    Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    Maybe a bit too overcast. A grad ND filter would have helped. I'd also get rid of the branches and leaves.
    maybe he wans to have a foreground n background in his framing.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,600

    Default Re: Overcast Prague

    If the intention was to frame the scene, then find something more substantial. A few leaves here and there doesn't cut it.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Overcast Prague

    Do use a GD and a ND to help in this case. Both will improve.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Overcast Prague

    Thanks for the replies so far guys.
    I understand why a GND filter helps, but a ND filter basically reduces the brightness of the whole scene? I suppose this helps to reduce the hotspot of the picture?

  7. #7

    Default Re: Overcast Prague

    Wiki grad ND filters if you need to understand more.

  8. #8
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Overcast Prague

    Quote Originally Posted by yokechye View Post
    maybe he wans to have a foreground n background in his framing.
    the leaves lack an intricate outline to serve as a foreground interest...

  9. #9
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    22,019

    Default Re: Overcast Prague

    you need show more branches and leaves to make the framing works here.

    and why would you want use ISO 400 and 1/2000s, instead of using lower ISO and slower speed and still able to shoot at f22??

    if you can't get both in focus, would rather make the city in focus instead of the leaves, and the framing will still works.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: Overcast Prague

    May be you can try to PP to bring out more from the "shadowed" city.... I would personally only "brighten" up a portion of the city directly under the light to emphasize the light ray...

  11. #11
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Overcast Prague

    Quote Originally Posted by lastboltnut View Post
    May be you can try to PP to bring out more from the "shadowed" city.... I would personally only "brighten" up a portion of the city directly under the light to emphasize the light ray...
    but if the city is very much underexposed, the brightening will just lead to more noise-like artifacts and decreased details.

    unfortunately i dun think pp will be the solution for this piece of work, as the exposure is quite a gone case. too much blown highlights in the sky and too dark the landscape.

    actually the depth of field is not a big concern, at least for me. i think composition and exposure is more important in this example.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: Overcast Prague

    Yah agree with you that brightening up will bring noise....but to save his memory of his travel....this is the only "damage control" he can do loh....

    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    but if the city is very much underexposed, the brightening will just lead to more noise-like artifacts and decreased details.

    unfortunately i dun think pp will be the solution for this piece of work, as the exposure is quite a gone case. too much blown highlights in the sky and too dark the landscape.

    actually the depth of field is not a big concern, at least for me. i think composition and exposure is more important in this example.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Overcast Prague

    Thanks for taking the time to post guys.
    Some comments were expected, some weren't.

    Will experiment more in the future when the chance arises.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •