Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would You Charge For A Charity Golf Event?

Default Re: Would You Charge For A Charity Golf Event?

yup, no harm using the opportunity to network and advertise. that's what other companies do as well for sponsoring charity!

I shoot weddings for free too... but only as presents for my closer friends. else it's not something i like to do cos too much work in a day

I'm not a pro photographer, purely my opinion.
    If one is in the photo business, then should think of it as business consideration.
    If in doubt, charge your usual price or dont take the assignment at all.
    The one who are doing the charity work are the golfers, not those indirectly involved in it.
    At the end of the function, those golfers will be photographed & labelled as the generous ones who raised funds. Not those behind the scenes. Unless you get to be labelled as a sponsor then you get the goodwill back. If you really want to be generous from the heart & take part in the charity, then by all means take part. The fact that your first instincts are "hmm, should I charge free, charge transport, or how much to charge", the doubts show that you are not ready to do it for free, hence "charity" doesnt apply, might as well think of your own business & apply business sense. If the organization turn you down, you dont lose anything. you might think that you get some contacts out of those golfers. golfing might be expensive sport, doesnt mean golfers are not stingy when it comes to their own business. those golfers that you might meet at the event, would know you charge free, might ask you to cover their own events & press down your fees.

I am quite sick of tired of people telling me either with a donation can or donation card who tell me "its for charity" but cannot even explain what is the organization being donated for. I once had a colleague who passed to me a Yellow Ribbon donation card for her cousin, an adult working at TTSH. An adult cannot take care of himself? We are not talking about schools pushing donation cards to school children.

I give significant amount of money and time to several organisations, but not to everyone and anyone who approaches me.

We should give back to society. But you must be sure that the charity is in line with your believe, and that you feel that it is something you will give to. If not, it should be business as usual.

If they cannot afford, maybe can ask for credits on any printed materials or CD album.

Blog Entries

normally event coverage can/will be subsidised by selling prints to the participants during the dinner

tee off shot and putting green shot.

win-win situation, yes?
    Last edited by ortega; 3rd September 2007 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    normally event coverage can/will be subsidised by selling prints to the participants during the dinner

tee off shot and putting green shot.

win-win situation, yes?
    hmm sound like a good plan...
    maybe if sales is good can even offer part of it to back to the organiser so that u can sell more easier and help charity at the same time

normally charity golf events are organised by large companies for their clients. i've played in a number of them, where the event sponsor made a huge donation to charities, and/or golfers were invited to plonk $ for novelty events. anyhow back to photography, in such cases i would say yes, charge a fee or do it for free. its your call, since the organisers can likely afford it. on the other hand, i've shot for volunteer orgs where money is tight for them, and the events are to raise funds (with golf games/ dinners) thrown in by the club/ restaurant. for those i'd rather not charge a cent, unless its my livelihood, but then it still comes down to your choice to accept or decline the job. let your heart rule.
    Many are culled, few are chosen

Every year i shoot renci show for free, 1 only. the rest i will charge.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Business is business.

I'll charge as per normal cos the decision to provide charity is the organisers and the participants. There are costs in any event and it should be taken into account that photography services are chargeble just like other facilities and services. Those guys that plays golf for charity are likely to earn much more than the photographers anyway. I do charity on my own budget, time and choice.
    It is easier to critique than to create ; www.razin-photography.com
    My studio is available for rent

Put it this way, in such high profile golf events; where there's bound to be food for the folks. Even the waiters and kitchen helpers get paid.

good points guys, that is exactly what i was saying. the charity comes from the golfers who are paying more for a round of golf than they normally would. the charity comes from companies who MAY sponsor a goodie bag for the golfers. as i pointed out, the maintenance workers, the greenskeepers, the waiters, waitresses, cooks, dishwashers...heaps of other people are getting paid. furthermore, a golf course will not donate their course in 99.9% of the cases especially when they are country clubs. the simple fact is, is that once a countryclub donates its services for free, every charity in town will show up at their door...and these are the contacts that you will more than likely collect...others who want it free!

scenario in getting future contacts or gigs...

...client A..."Who did you hire to do the photos for the charity?"
    ...client B..."I didn't hire anyone, I got a guy to do it for free."
    ...client A..."Oh really, can I have his contact, we have a charity coming up and I need
    someone cheap or free also."
    ...client B..."Yeah, maybe you can also use him for your sisters wedding next year?"
    ...client A..."Maybe, but I don't think my sister wants a cheap photographer to do her
    wedding, she wants professional pics."

not saying this will happen, but you cannot say it won't either

the photographer is making this event happen just as much as the cooks, maintenance workers and everyone else...people who are getting paid. the photographer may not be making it happen in terms of present value, but its the future value of what the partcipants and charity will have later on and years down the road that makes your service just as important as the others. the golf game will end, the food will be gone, but your pics will live on...the same as you want your money to work for you in terms of future value is sometimes how we need to look at what we do charity or no charity.

personally i would say that just because it is for charity, does not mean you hve to donate anything. the organizer will look for a cheap or free photog and does not give a rooty-toot if you heart made you do it for free. charity here is used very loosely and if it is a golf event, there IS money because the organization IS paying someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiisg View Post
    good points guys, that is exactly what i was saying. the charity comes from the golfers who are paying more for a round of golf than they normally would. the charity comes from companies who MAY sponsor a goodie bag for the golfers. as i pointed out, the maintenance workers, the greenskeepers, the waiters, waitresses, cooks, dishwashers...heaps of other people are getting paid. furthermore, a golf course will not donate their course in 99.9% of the cases especially when they are country clubs. the simple fact is, is that once a countryclub donates its services for free, every charity in town will show up at their door...and these are the contacts that you will more than likely collect...others who want it free!

scenario in getting future contacts or gigs...

...client A..."Who did you hire to do the photos for the charity?"
    ...client B..."I didn't hire anyone, I got a guy to do it for free."
    ...client A..."Oh really, can I have his contact, we have a charity coming up and I need
    someone cheap or free also."
    ...client B..."Yeah, maybe you can also use him for your sisters wedding next year?"
    ...client A..."Maybe, but I don't think my sister wants a cheap photographer to do her
    wedding, she wants professional pics."

not saying this will happen, but you cannot say it won't either

the photographer is making this event happen just as much as the cooks, maintenance workers and everyone else...people who are getting paid. the photographer may not be making it happen in terms of present value, but its the future value of what the partcipants and charity will have later on and years down the road that makes your service just as important as the others. the golf game will end, the food will be gone, but your pics will live on...the same as you want your money to work for you in terms of future value is sometimes how we need to look at what we do charity or no charity.

personally i would say that just because it is for charity, does not mean you hve to donate anything. the organizer will look for a cheap or free photog and does not give a rooty-toot if you heart made you do it for free. charity here is used very loosely and if it is a golf event, there IS money because the organization IS paying someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    I would not suggest you "provide" totally free service at all.
    There are many types of "charity companies" .... remember the Charity Co that has gold-tap in their office? From my feel, if the CC can organise a grand event like golf, then I am sure they have big budget for many things, including photography, prints, video, etc....
    Charge them what you normally charge, then if you really have to, donate all, or in parts back to that Charity, if you are ok with their objective.
    Treat the project as you would normally would and your usual contractual obligations with the organiser will apply, which IMO will be good for everyone.
    Of course, if you are asked to shoot at old-folk homes, or children hospital by some charity co to raise fund, etc... then by all mean extend the free service.
    I shoot and develop lots of photos for some organisations, which I did not charge for all the labour, but I will still claim from them for what I have paid to KT and the photo albums ..... ... and at least they dont think my service is totally free.
    correct!
    there's also production costs involved in charity events. just that the costs is aimed to be below what they can raise through the event. so the net can be donation towards the beneficiary.

i.e. registration fees for those many runs we see these days are usually more than enough to cover the production costs for the event itself.

The event serve food/drinks, rent the green and if the organiser can pay for that why can't pay the photographer.
    How is that campare photographer work ...?

A friend who worked full-time in a biiig church in SG once told me, "working in a religious organisation is no diffrent than working in any corporate office, except we tend to pray a lot more."

A charity, ANY charity is very much like any business in Singapore. While their focus and (supposed) objectives are supposed to be for charitable purposes, they are structured and run like any corporate business.

I don't see why something as obviously high-profiled with millions of dollars floating around golf-event can't respect the fact that mere working class people also need to eat, and to feed their families. And hey, I not even talking about Les Amis kind of eating - just kopi tiam or hawker center food also need money!

How much are we talking about anyway? Based on typical even photog fees around here, the fee for a 1-day event at say $90 x 8 hours = $720. Which golf or country club connected organisation can't afford $720?

Go figure.

However, if the photog really gets a chance to network with the rich and influential, or if royalty or big-ticket celebrity power is going to end up in your portfolio, then obviously the intangible gains far outweigh the lost of income. But ask yourself, how often is a photog allowed to actually network with the big-wigs without looking like a despo at a big, million-dollar golf charity gala anyway?

No harm in helping, but who's helping us feed ourselves and our families? Perhaps photographers should apply for charity as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    A friend who worked full-time in a biiig church in SG once told me, "working in a religious organisation is no diffrent than working in any corporate office, except we tend to pray a lot more."

A charity, ANY charity is very much like any business in Singapore. While their focus and (supposed) objectives are supposed to be for charitable purposes, they are structured and run like any corporate business.

I don't see why something as obviously high-profiled with millions of dollars floating around golf-event can't respect the fact that mere working class people also need to eat, and to feed their families. And hey, I not even talking about Les Amis kind of eating - just kopi tiam or hawker center food also need money!

How much are we talking about anyway? Based on typical even photog fees around here, the fee for a 1-day event at say $90 x 8 hours = $720. Which golf or country club connected organisation can't afford $720?

Go figure.

However, if the photog really gets a chance to network with the rich and influential, or if royalty or big-ticket celebrity power is going to end up in your portfolio, then obviously the intangible gains far outweigh the lost of income. But ask yourself, how often is a photog allowed to actually network with the big-wigs without looking like a despo at a big, million-dollar golf charity gala anyway?

No harm in helping, but who's helping us feed ourselves and our families? Perhaps photographers should apply for charity as well.

Fell off my chair
    just1book, no kidding!

How you doing Lun..? BTW, the Metz flash you sold me works fantastic!

I hope I wasn't being unnecessarily harsh in my post above, but seriously, we're not talking big bucks high-profiled photog fees here, and like Razor hinted at; we have to be realistic and might I add, look beyond the surface emotionalism of events under the facade of 'charity'.

Afterall, who's going to feed our children and family at the end of the day? Most kopitiams or curry peng stalls don't offer a credit account to needy but charitable photographers mah.

Go figure.

You never heard before meh.............the richer they are, the more kiam siap......

How you doing Lun..? BTW, the Metz flash you sold me works fantastic!

I hope I wasn't being unnecessarily harsh in my post above, but seriously, we're not talking big bucks high-profiled photog fees here, and like Razor hinted at; we have to be realistic and might I add, look beyond the surface emotionalism of events under the facade of 'charity'.

Afterall, who's going to feed our children and family at the end of the day? Most kopitiams or curry peng stalls don't offer a credit account to needy but charitable photographers mah.
    Glad that the Metz worked well for you. It's a very reliable flash unit.

I agree to your points. Some event organizers like to target on the soft spot of kind people to either bring down the price (so called partial sponsorship) or even to offer free service, when they are spending heaps on other services and they themselves getting paid.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12