Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would You Charge For A Charity Golf Event?

Default Would You Charge For A Charity Golf Event?

There is this charity golf event. Should i draw a pay? As the place is very ulu, i need to cab down and back, plus i would be badly burnt. should i draw a pay for the job done?

Default Re: Would You Charge For A Charity Golf Event?

i cannot advise on the pay. but at least the transport must claim la.

i think food and transport claim (via cab reciepts) would be reasonable. =)

If it's for charity, I'd do it for free, and use the opportunity to network with people who might possibly provide opportunities for work in the future.

But as for transport, it's normal to claim costs from the organizers... Maybe you could hitch a ride with those people going down in buses?

Btw, SPF 55 sunblock is effective in preventing sunburns, but make sure you really rub it over all exposed parts of your body (ears and back of neck esp)
    1D MkIII, 5D MkII 16-200 2.8L, 35L, 50L, 135L
    View my flickr

Don't forget one very important thing...........although it's a charity event, you must make sure about your copyright on the photos taken by you. Make sure you have a draft out black and white who owns the ownership of the photos. Charity it maybe but sometimes this organisers still use it to sell the photos or use it for publications purposes.

Please be aware of that. As I said earlier in some other threads, never sell yourself cheap or free.

Make sure you are being credited for your hard effort.
    Last edited by Godzilla Invades; 1st September 2007 at 11:46 AM.

I normally claim transport and if they want physical prints I give at cost. And yes copyright retention is also a must so they give credits
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Quote Originally Posted by compro_1975 View Post
    There is this charity golf event. Should i draw a pay? As the place is very ulu, i need to cab down and back, plus i would be badly burnt. should i draw a pay for the job done?
    “Charity” is always used to raise funds and abused so frequently, it’s difficult to be sure if it’s really for a good cause. Goods, services or contribution in time have a cost. A photographer’s value should be reflected in his or her contribution, say if your service is valued at $1000, it should be seen as your contribution of $1000. Rather than offering it free and ask if your meals and transportation and prints can be claimed.
    just1book, no kidding!

I had helped out in few charity golf events for free. Usually organiser will arrange for transport and also food plus some souveniours for the event. I usually dont ask for any payments and even if I need to come out of my own pockets (none so far). Charity means Charity so have to be clear on that. If you feel you cannot afford to pay the transport, ask the organiser beforehand. I'm sure they have some budget for all this. There's a saying, got money give money, got strength give strength. BTW, sgpools always rewards me after that. PPL ard me can vouch for it. I only shoot and pass them the CF cards to download, no printing involve.

To answer TS question, NO, I will not charge only take allowance for expenses if they give, else I will pay for my own transport.

Note: Be vary of tricks. do not get con by organiser. so normally i only help out those I know and trust.

Cool Re: Would You Charge For A Charity Golf Event?

I will charge ... they are doing the charity not me...and I need bread and butter..if they can afford a golf course .. they are able to pay me .... I have been doing volunteering before ...

I don't see why not.

Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch View Post
    I had helped out in few charity golf events for free. Usually organiser will arrange for transport and also food plus some souveniours for the event. I usually dont ask for any payments and even if I need to come out of my own pockets (none so far). Charity means Charity so have to be clear on that. If you feel you cannot afford to pay the transport, ask the organiser beforehand. I'm sure they have some budget for all this. There's a saying, got money give money, got strength give strength. BTW, sgpools always rewards me after that. PPL ard me can vouch for it. I only shoot and pass them the CF cards to download, no printing involve.

To answer TS question, NO, I will not charge only take allowance for expenses if they give, else I will pay for my own transport.

Note: Be vary of tricks. do not get con by organiser. so normally i only help out those I know and trust.
    Ok, have a question. How do you know which is true to what they say? Yes we should based on trust but at which stage should we trust?

Second question is, if you see your photo being printed on a magazine without being credited or happen to see it by accident that one of the charity members have a print of your photo that you take, what will you do?

Just curious on how you deal with this kinda of situation.

Thanks if you can share your experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla Invades View Post
    Ok, have a question. How do you know which is true to what they say? Yes we should based on trust but at which stage should we trust?

Second question is, if you see your photo being printed on a magazine without being credited or happen to see it by accident that one of the charity members have a print of your photo that you take, what will you do?

Just curious on how you deal with this kinda of situation.

Thanks if you can share your experience.
    I would not suggest you "provide" totally free service at all.
    There are many types of "charity companies" .... remember the Charity Co that has gold-tap in their office? From my feel, if the CC can organise a grand event like golf, then I am sure they have big budget for many things, including photography, prints, video, etc....
    Charge them what you normally charge, then if you really have to, donate all, or in parts back to that Charity, if you are ok with their objective.
    Treat the project as you would normally would and your usual contractual obligations with the organiser will apply, which IMO will be good for everyone.
    Of course, if you are asked to shoot at old-folk homes, or children hospital by some charity co to raise fund, etc... then by all mean extend the free service.
    I shoot and develop lots of photos for some organisations, which I did not charge for all the labour, but I will still claim from them for what I have paid to KT and the photo albums ..... ... and at least they dont think my service is totally free.
    always the Light, .... always.

for me i would not charge but claim from the organisers
    D800 | D700|16mm f2.8D|35 f1.4G|50 f1.8G|60mm F2.8D|85mm f1.4G|16-35 f4G|70-200 f2.8 VR2| SB900

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    There are many types of "charity companies" .... remember the Charity Co that has gold-tap in their office? From my feel, if the CC can organise a grand event like golf, then I am sure they have big budget for many things, including photography, prints, video, etc....
    Charge them what you normally charge, then if you really have to, donate all, or in parts back to that Charity, if you are ok with their objective.
    Treat the project as you would normally would and your usual contractual obligations with the organiser will apply, which IMO will be good for everyone.
    Of course, if you are asked to shoot at old-folk homes, or children hospital by some charity co to raise fund, etc... then by all mean extend the free service.
    I shoot and develop lots of photos for some organisations, which I did not charge for all the labour, but I will still claim from them for what I have paid to KT and the photo albums ..... ... and at least they dont think my service is totally free.
    Ok got it bro.............hehe.

Never like to do charity work unless is for Old Folks or Homeless/Disable/Handicapped/Mentally Ill people. I have done for all that before. That I feel proud not to charge them. I will give them all my copyrights as well. Print as many as they want......but I still mentioned the most important part which is if it's being publish, please credit my name.

Other than that, Singapore Charity like NKF and so on can ask them to go suck thumb.

they should pay you. for one, you're gonna be there for quite a while. two, yes, it's far. three, rarely do contaxts from these tings ever pay-off. four, someone somewhere in this organiztion has money. i do quite a bit of golf and i would be surprised if the golf course is not gatting paid. the golfcourse needs to pay its worers, caddies, groundskeepers. the golf course is also taking on a huge loss. consider they are getting roughly $100 plus per person for a round...that's a lot of money to lose for a day or even half a day.

the thing with charity is yes it is charity, but others are getting something to help with costs, so should you. as one bro said, yeah, old folks, sure do what you can...but golf, there is money flowing and isn't flowing to you. golf events for charity usually mean that when the participants play a round, it a lot of cases they are paying over the usual rate with the excess going to the charity. you should tell the organizer you charge 500 but will donate 200 to charity and see what they say. in fairness, i don't know how it is setup, but this is normally what i see.

...just my opinion, follow your heart bro, if it feels good, then do it. if you feel you getting shortchangd then re-negotiate or don't do it.
    ...best of luck

...what event if i may ask, maybe i'll ask my editor if our magazine is covering it for them.

peace

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiisg View Post
    they should pay you. for one, you're gonna be there for quite a while. two, yes, it's far. three, rarely do contaxts from these tings ever pay-off. four, someone somewhere in this organiztion has money. i do quite a bit of golf and i would be surprised if the golf course is not gatting paid. the golfcourse needs to pay its worers, caddies, groundskeepers. the golf course is also taking on a huge loss. consider they are getting roughly $100 plus per person for a round...that's a lot of money to lose for a day or even half a day.

the thing with charity is yes it is charity, but others are getting something to help with costs, so should you. as one bro said, yeah, old folks, sure do what you can...but golf, there is money flowing and isn't flowing to you. golf events for charity usually mean that when the participants play a round, it a lot of cases they are paying over the usual rate with the excess going to the charity. you should tell the organizer you charge 500 but will donate 200 to charity and see what they say. in fairness, i don't know how it is setup, but this is normally what i see.

...just my opinion, follow your heart bro, if it feels good, then do it. if you feel you getting shortchangd then re-negotiate or don't do it.
    ...best of luck

...what event if i may ask, maybe i'll ask my editor if our magazine is covering it for them.

peace
    well said

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiisg View Post

...best of luck

peace
    Yeap this is what I was getting at. Old folks and so on do not earn money from any charity event. I am just thinking this golf thingy is more like a "taking advantage" of newbies or less experience photographers.

Golf is an expensive game.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion of charging them and donate back to the charities. Will propose to do that next time. BTW, I only shoot for them not expecting anything back. However I dont shoot for strangers only those organised by my friends whom I know well.

For those who asked, to me, if they were to publish the photos, i really dont mind at all. infact, all the kind gentlemen and ladies who participated in the event will get a CD of all the photos as a kind of apreciation and momento for their donation. Last year the funds goes to the children's pocket money and was published in the local papers. Golf may be an expensive hobby so that why, those who came for the donation are rich enough to donate more and that makes our event more productive. Bottom line is everyone enjoy the fun and the charities gets their funds. There are lots of unfortunate ppl around us. maybe one day we may be one too cos no one can tell what tomorrow lies for us. Getting reconition for charity works is not the point so if credits is given or not does not matters. In yr heart you will feel the satification knowing that you had done a good deed.

For those in the photography business, I apologise but dont worry, I only do 1 or 2 such shoot per year so will not really affect the business and I only shoot for my friends and not for everyone who ask me. If a friend only cost $500 to $2000 (average cost per shoot), den the money lost is worth to tell what kind of friend he is.

Peace and be happy

Hi Compro,

I have shot twice for a charity golf event. Basically I feel it depends on individuals. For me, I shoot for free (depend on who is the organizer and recipients of the charity) and give it all as I enjoy the session myself.

If the place is very ulu and you need to take a cab, you may negotiate for the organizer to pay for your transport (or food or whatever cost) that you feel you do not want to incur. You may even charge them your "normal" rates for events.

There is no "Must" and "Must Not" in a business (yes- charity is a business too), as long you are happy with your objectives.
    Last edited by kitkat; 2nd September 2007 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion of charging them and donate back to the charities. Will propose to do that next time. BTW, I only shoot for them not expecting anything back. However I dont shoot for strangers only those organised by my friends whom I know well.

For those who asked, to me, if they were to publish the photos, i really dont mind at all. infact, all the kind gentlemen and ladies who participated in the event will get a CD of all the photos as a kind of apreciation and momento for their donation. Last year the funds goes to the children's pocket money and was published in the local papers. Golf may be an expensive hobby so that why, those who came for the donation are rich enough to donate more and that makes our event more productive. Bottom line is everyone enjoy the fun and the charities gets their funds. There are lots of unfortunate ppl around us. maybe one day we may be one too cos no one can tell what tomorrow lies for us. Getting reconition for charity works is not the point so if credits is given or not does not matters. In yr heart you will feel the satification knowing that you had done a good deed.

For those in the photography business, I apologise but dont worry, I only do 1 or 2 such shoot per year so will not really affect the business and I only shoot for my friends and not for everyone who ask me. If a friend only cost $500 to $2000 (average cost per shoot), den the money lost is worth to tell what kind of friend he is.

Peace and be happy
    Agree with you if it's your good friend who needs help.

Example (only done twice in my life)
    When I shoot my best friend wedding, I gave that as a present to him. He knows photography is my rice bowl and he is very happy I save him thousands of dollars on pre wedding and actual wedding day but he insisted to pay for the album as it was not very cheap.

It boils down on how we look it. So that is why when it comes to photography business (be it friends or actual clientele) we have to make ourselves clear and not to tarnish our names in the market. This is an advice to all newbies out there who wants to break into the market. You can do charity work to gain some good portfolio but make sure it's worth while. In this world, only the very few can help you build a portfolio. I have seen some so call "friends" who take advantage of newbies because they are new.

Charity work should still be commended with your name. Why? Reason is you never know when some donors from the charity event may look for you for future events or work. I had 4 pre wedding couples came to look for me after they saw my best friend album. I got 3 to sign for it. The remaining one found out my rates was too expensive for them.

So I think it works both ways. This is one way to stay competitive in the market. Giving out to the right charity will help you. It's not just about a gesture of goodwill but to stay alive in the market as photography business is very competitive in Singapore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast