Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taxi Accidents

Default Taxi Accidents

I'm just curious has anyone been in more taxi accidents than me. I have been in 2 frontal collision, 1 rear collision and one tire blow out when travelling in taxis in Singapore. Today was my second frontal collision in a taxi.

Default Re: Taxi Accidents

Nothing new. They are famous "Hell Driver".

in a way yeah cos they are on the road more often than anyone else, but can't generalize.. i did come across a really bad one..

last wed i was having my auto lesson in some road in ubi. then this uncle in his toyota crown wanted to make a 3 point turn to pick up a passenger on the other side of the road. when he reverse, he din travel enough and thus din have enough room to clear the turn. his left tyre mount the curb (quite high) then he back it down. after reversing for like 2 meters, he try to turn again. mount curb again and this time he dun care, just complete the turn and let the wheel slam onto the road. he seemed to be drunk to me.. got the super blur look on his face. den his reactions also not too fast. if i were the passenger, i won't take his car..
    Kodak Easyshare C875
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by coffee8810 View Post
    Nothing new. They are famous "Hell Driver".
    you just register to post this, but i agree with you.

My wife told me that she and my kids was in a taxi once when the driver fell alseep while driving. She had to wake the driver up, stop the taxi, pay him and flag another taxi.

I'm glad that she knew what to do, I was damn angry hearing this!!

This happened some 3years ago... come to think of it, alot of people had to take second jobs just to make ends meet, but safety is paramount cannot be compromise at any account.

I tend to stay away from taxi drivers when I drive, they tend to do the unexpected... maybe due to their passengers requests or excitement seeing a potential fare, I don't know.. I believe taxis have the highest accident rate than any other vehicles.

../azul123

Quote Originally Posted by smtan24 View Post
    I'm just curious has anyone been in more taxi accidents than me. I have been in 2 frontal collision, 1 rear collision and one tire blow out when travelling in taxis in Singapore. Today was my second frontal collision in a taxi.
    May I know your car license plate number? I will give way to you every which way you turn.

Quote Originally Posted by smtan24 View Post
    ok jokes aside, for the claim, just make sure you check on the amount they claim againt you if you are being put at fault. I once debated with NTUC income for possible fraud (by a taxi owner) and they settled with me quietly.

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    ok jokes aside, for the claim, just make sure you check on the amount they claim againt you if you are being put at fault. I once debated with NTUC income for possible fraud (by a taxi owner) and they settled with me quietly.
    From what I've read he was in the taxi when the accident happen, not in collision with it.

../azul123

Tell me abt it.. I have been involved in an insurance claim against a taxi. The bugger came so close to me n was speeding that he smashed my side mirror. Refused to settle with me on the spot (exchange particulars etc) made me follow him to his destination (cos he was ferrying an expat). After which, told a different story to the taxi company and they claimed against me instead. I was like WTF.. of cos i won in the end, he came from behind and his mirrors were alright (cos his folded in).

2nd time i was so pissed when I was travelling in a cab and the driver fell asleep. Woke him up n scolded him.

3rd was the worst. Past midnight and the driver asked if I was scared of him driving fast. He was going @ 140+!!!

madness.. both times I wrote in to the company and all I got was " we will look into the matter"

Sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    I was visiting my nephew and the taxi hit a van that had stop.

Quote Originally Posted by tan131 View Post
    Tell me abt it.. I have been involved in an insurance claim against a taxi. The bugger came so close to me n was speeding that he smashed my side mirror. Refused to settle with me on the spot (exchange particulars etc) made me follow him to his destination (cos he was ferrying an expat). After which, told a different story to the taxi company and they claimed against me instead. I was like WTF.. of cos i won in the end, he came from behind and his mirrors were alright (cos his folded in).

2nd time i was so pissed when I was travelling in a cab and the driver fell asleep. Woke him up n scolded him.

3rd was the worst. Past midnight and the driver asked if I was scared of him driving fast. He was going @ 140+!!!

madness.. both times I wrote in to the company and all I got was " we will look into the matter"

Sigh...
    Ask for written apology from both the cab coy and cab driver!

There was a cab driver who pointed a middle finger at me when I was in a green cab.. all i did was to direct him to my place politely. during boxing day somemore.
    Last edited by cowism; 1st September 2007 at 10:14 PM.

taxi driver attitude worse than taxi accidents

In my years taking I have seen really bad taxi drivers. Driver that suddenly break to ones that go over road bumps at 60Km/h. Ther are of course the good ones.
    Last edited by smtan24; 2nd September 2007 at 10:03 PM.

This happened to me when i was in Singapore at the end of last year. Was rushing home from the city to get changed and then go to MOS and the driver was doing 140+ on the PIE. Tho it suited me because i was in a rush at the time hahah

Taxi drivers here in Melbourne are incredibly bad tho...much worse than Singapore. Thailand, worse again.
    5D | 24-70L | 28mm f/1.8 | 580EX

Sad to say this, but to manage this problem the only person is the gov. If they step in "sooner or later one lah" alot of our fellow seniors will go out of jobs.

There is this Mercs E type taxi driver living next blk who walk, talk, & act like a big tow kay! Bay ta han.

Sigh...
    ha ha ha...what aluck!!! sorry bro...

Quote Originally Posted by dan_1337 View Post
    This happened to me when i was in Singapore at the end of last year. Was rushing home from the city to get changed and then go to MOS and the driver was doing 140+ on the PIE. Tho it suited me because i was in a rush at the time hahah

Taxi drivers here in Melbourne are incredibly bad tho...much worse than Singapore. Thailand, worse again.
    wait till you go malaysia....KL and JB...especially. as if yu owe them money

Quote Originally Posted by wahidkarim55 View Post
    wait till you go malaysia....KL and JB...especially. as if yu owe them money
    i didn't find KL too bad. they just like to rip u off instead.
    5D | 24-70L | 28mm f/1.8 | 580EX

Taxi drivers think they own the road because they think they have more hours clocked behind the wheel than almost everyone else. Especially when they see customers trying to flag them. Then everyone else become invisible liao. %$%@$

Try this. They piss you off? You piss them off back. They will have to drive pissed for the rest of their shift, not you.

While we all can blame the taxi drivers for their hell driving speed and bad attitude etc etc, and I do agreed that many of the taxi drivers are truly this bad, cause as a driver on the road, I have had many encounters and near accidents situation with taxi drivers as well.

However, perhaps we can take a step back to think why would they do that or behave like that? Now, before anyone shoots at me, I'm certainly not taking side nor support the bad behaviours of the taxi drivers, and I'm one fore sure think that some strict actions have to be taken against these reckless taxi drivers.

It's really not easy to be a taxi driver, considered as self-employed, with no fixed income nor CPF contribution, and yet, got to pay for rental of taxi, petrol, road tax and insurance. If there are any damage, they would have to pay for the repair also. As the result, they always don't get to earn very much every month. Thus, often they have to drive for long hours in order to make money to meet their end need.

Therefore, it resulted that the drivers have to make more trips in order to make more money, and in order to make more trips, they can't really afford to drive 'too slow' on the road. Thue, they speed, hopefully to drop off the passenger faster so to pick up another passenger sooner.

Also, if you have to seat inside the 'confined' space in a taxi for a whole day throughout, it won't take too long for one to get be easily aggitated and especially when you are driving on the road and encounters with many other reckless drivers that sometime really piss you off.

Worse still is to pick up with unreasonable and demanding passenger. Passengers that ran away without any payment, female passengers that cry molest and extort money from the taxi drivers, many more.

Of couse, I don't mean these as an excuse for the taxi drivers to continue to do what they are doing, they too, need to be educated, and not forgetting the risk they are exposed to also, not just because of accidents on the road, but also the risk of being robbed and killed. I'm sure many of you are not unfamiliar with news that drivers were robbed and killed in the past.

So while we are complaining about the bad taxi drivers, let's not forget those who are good taxi drivers too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast