Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 256789 ... LastLast

Thread: ST Forum: Can't one take photos in MRT stations?

Default Re: ST Forum: Can't one take photos in MRT stations?

Quote Originally Posted by Thirun Sammy View Post
    its because we're using SLRs, if you use a PnS ppl wun get intimidated. for some reason when ppl see SLRs, it suddenly becomes a sensitive issue.
    Ya, what will happen if I bring a Medium or Large format with Digital back? Arrest me?

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla Invades View Post
    Ya, what will happen if I bring a Medium or Large format with Digital back? Arrest me?
    Shoot on sight. heheh
    Last edited by sammy888; 7th September 2007 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla Invades View Post
    They send for doctors instead of bomb squad.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Sorry sidetracked a bit.

Tonight, I was trying to "test" the security @ esplanade.

It's all started with a guy, fleeing from security outside esplanade and finally caught inside esplanade (in front of DBS ATM @ Ground floor) - this guy must be crazy lah to flee to inside of esplanade, sure kanna caught.

So after the cisco security handle the situation by holding the guy up, I started to take pics of them, and immediately, two of the cisco security approached me and speak loudly to me, asked me to delete my pics.

Actually my cam shutter speed set up was automatically set to low, hence blurry pics. The pics taking was intentionally executed to test em, whether they're gonna over-react on it.
    I showed em my blurry pic and we parted ways after that.

The situation above proves that the cisco security responded over-acting-ly by asking me to delete my pics.

What do you think ?
    Last edited by ahandre; 9th September 2007 at 01:23 AM.
    ahandre (using Nikon & Sony Ericsson)
    MyFlickr-Ahandre

do anything you want but dont get caught lor.

Quote Originally Posted by ahandre View Post
    Sorry sidetracked a bit.

It's all started with a guy, fleeing from security outside esplanade and finally caught inside esplanade (in front of DBS ATM @ Ground floor) - this guy must be crazy lah to flee to inside of esplanade, sure kanna caught.

So after the cisco security handle the situation by holding the guy up, I started to take pics of them, and immediately, two of the cisco security approached me and speak loudly to me, asked me to delete my pics.

Actually my cam shutter speed set up was automatically set to low, hence blurry pics. The pics taking was intentionally executed to test em, whether they're gonna over-react on it.

The situation above proves that the cisco security responded over-acting-ly by asking me to delete my pics.

What do you think ?
    Depends on what you take photos of.

vince123123
    Guests

They have no right to ask you to delete your pics, nor even a right to ask you to show them the pics. They dont have a right to detain you either (if they tried to).

Again, I'll suggest asking them for their name and identification if they try to be funny with you.

If they try to manhandle or detain you forcefully, then take out your hp and start videoing, and warn them that they may be liable for wrongly restraint/confinement (both of which are criminal offences) if they persist.

By the way, why was the guy fleeing?

Sorry sidetracked a bit.

What do you think ?
    Last edited by vince123123; 9th September 2007 at 03:22 AM.

They asked, where I was before, why I took picture (kinda silly question), where was I going to, how long I've been in Singapore, asked me if Photography is my hobby (tempted me to tell 'em my other hobbies and stories), where I was working, asked the name of places of every pics in the CF.

I was alone then, it happened in the morning.

I'm Indonesian-Chinese (I don't mean anything other than to explain the next sentence). I posted this story several months ago in the indonesian@singapore mailing-list, and some questioned whether there's racism involved (I guess not). I was suggested by some friends to not pursue the matter anymore.

I was just letting off the steam after I read this topic today.

I am still wondering, how can we ensure which places permit the photography to be conducted ?
    Should had just walked away & ignore them.
    If you were standing outside, you were on public grounds.

They are simply over reacting.

It's not as if the MRT stations are special buildings with unique architectural features worth to be photographed like the Louvre/Taj Mahal/ or any other national monuments etc?

Most of the stations are underground, & those above grounds are not that spectacular.

Won't lose anything if one is not allowed to take pictures of MRT.
    Last edited by foxwagon; 9th September 2007 at 06:03 AM.

Sorry sidetracked a bit.

What do you think ?

Next time use handphone and juz reply... "too late liao, photos are STOMPed".
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Quote Originally Posted by foxwagon View Post
    They are simply over reacting.

It's not as if the MRT stations are special buildings with unique architectural features worth to be photographed like the Louvre/Taj Mahal/ or any other national monuments etc?

Most of the stations are underground, & those above grounds are not that spectacular.

Won't lose anything if one is not allowed to take pictures of MRT.
    Your rights will be eroded, and public misinformation will increase.

That's much more important than any pictures of the MRT.

Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    Your rights will be eroded, and public misinformation will increase.

That's much more important than any pictures of the MRT.
    what rights? what public misinformation? did every single person who photographed in an MRT train or MRT station get caught? just like did every single person who ate something on the train get fined?

if you just want to take a snapshot and move on, just do it and go. if you want to loiter around the place, take your own sweet time, take 20-30 shots, then go ask for permission. what's so difficult about that?
    Last edited by eikin; 9th September 2007 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    what rights? what public misinformation? did every single person who photographed in an MRT train or MRT station get caught? just like did every single person who ate something on the train get fined?

if you just want to take a snapshot and move on, just do it and go. if you want to loiter around the place, take your own sweet time, take 20-30 shots, then go ask for permission. what's so difficult about that?
    That's the point. The permission thing. And the actions which are outside the law that the MRT staff have attempted to take.

That's the point. The permission thing. And the actions which are outside the law that the MRT staff have attempted to take.
    what point? what's wrong with the permission thing? i'm all for the need of a permission especially if one is doing prolonged shooting. what happens if some mishap happens to you while you loiter around the MRT doing your shooting? you can say it's your own fault/accident, but the public will come after the train company demanding explanation how come someone is shooting around the station for a prolonged period without the staff knowing anything about it.

if you think the MRT staff did you any wrong, then go report him/her and have that person condemned, go make a complaint to the authorities, go hire a lawyer and sue that person upside down. we don't even know exactly what happened to the persons in the news article.

vince123123
    Guests

Did every person who trafficks drugs get caught? Did every person who molests another get caught?

Just because they are not caught doesn't mean there isn't a system in place to catch them. It is already clear from SMRT's public statements as well as corroboration by anectodal accounts here what their position are.

The fact that some are or are not caught is beside the point.

Besides, there are accounts of people taking one shot and getting caught too. Just because you dont' get caught with a short exposure time does not mean that SMRT condones such activities. They are just unable to enforce their polices.

What rights? Rights as a photographer, or for that matter, a memeber of the public

What misinformatioN? Misinformation that SMRT staff have legal jurisdiction outside their MRT station amongst others.

Last edited by vince123123; 9th September 2007 at 01:36 PM.

vince123123
    Guests

You sure that the public (or perhaps its only just you) would go after SMRT and ask for an explanation on why soemone can shoot in the station for a long time, when an accident that happened to the photographer?

As for your second paragraph, there is no need to hire a lawyer sue anyone. You just have to know your rights and act accordingly. If they commit crimnal offences while attempting to enforce their questionable policies, then it would be an easy thing to make a police report and pursue criminal action without the need to incur expenses in hiring a lawyer.

what point? what's wrong with the permission thing? i'm all for the need of a permission especially if one is doing prolonged shooting. what happens if some mishap happens to you while you loiter around the MRT doing your shooting? you can say it's your own fault/accident, but the public will come after the train company demanding explanation how come someone is shooting around the station for a prolonged period without the staff knowing anything about it.

if you think the MRT staff did you any wrong, then go report him/her and have that person condemned, go make a complaint to the authorities, go hire a lawyer and sue that person upside down. we don't even know exactly what happened to the persons in the news article.

vince123123
    Guests

Yeap, agreed on the "outside the law" bit. Some people unfortunately are unable to comprehend that.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Did every person who trafficks drugs get caught? Did every person who molests another get caught?

Just because they are not caught doesn't mean there isn't a system in place to catch them. It is already clear from SMRT's public statements as well as corroboration by anectodal accounts here what their position are.

The fact that some are or are not caught is beside the point.

Besides, there are accounts of people taking one shot and getting caught too. Just because you dont' get caught with a short exposure time does not mean that SMRT condones such activities. They are just unable to enforce their polices.

What rights? Rights as a photographer, or for that matter, a memeber of the public

What misinformatioN? Misinformation that SMRT staff have legal jurisdiction outside their MRT station amongst others.
    indeed, they have made it clear that permission is required. and i wonder why there aren't signs to say so, they need to improve on this by putting up signs.

since when did SMRT says that their staff have legal jurisdiction outside their MRT station amongst others? or is it your imagination that they are doing so?

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    You sure that the public (or perhaps its only just you) would go after SMRT and ask for an explanation on why soemone can shoot in the station for a long time, when an accident that happened to the photographer?

As for your second paragraph, there is no need to hire a lawyer sue anyone. You just have to know your rights and act accordingly. If they commit crimnal offences while attempting to enforce their questionable policies, then it would be an easy thing to make a police report and pursue criminal action without the need to incur expenses in hiring a lawyer.
    singaporeans go after everything, this thread is a living example. committing suicide is also a personal affair, why did the public put blames on SMRT for not being alert enough or not having preventive measures?

if that is the case, then go ahead and call the police.

What about just standing in front of control station doing nothing but playing your PSP while waiting for your friend? They ask me to leave the station because I was loitering for more than 10 minutes near the control station (Harbour Front). I was not even taking any photographs plus I offered them to check my bag and my identification to them but they refuse but asked me to leave. I just wonder what is the purpose of having so many security cameras.

So I asked them where is the sign for "No loitering around at the control station for more than 10 minutes"? They couldn't comment on that but walk away quietly.........

So do you need permission to stand/loitering in the MRT control station for more than 10 minutes? Do they have any rights to asked me to leave the station when they could clearly see me I was standing playing my PSP quietly and not loitering. Plus, I was not the only one at the station standing more than 10 minutes.

If all MRT stations were to put up such signs as no photography, no loitering, no eating and so on, some people may follow it but even if they do put up do they have the absolute rights to detain you if you break the regulation?

Any comments on that?

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 256789 ... LastLast