Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: ST Forum: Can't one take photos in MRT stations?

Default Re: ST Forum: Can't one take photos in MRT stations?

Quote Originally Posted by foxwagon View Post
    Purposely go & disturb them. Stand outside the MRT & shoot inside, since one is not on MRT properties, the MRT staff cannot detain you.
    I've seen so many tourists take pictures inside the MRT also nothing wrong.
    Why dont the MRT staff go & catch those people who eat on the trains instead? So free nothing to do.
    Man, just FYI, I had a bad exp in City Hall Station. I was taking some pics in front (OUTSIDE STATION) of St Andrew Cathedral MRT entrance.

MRT staff still bugging me asking this and that, station manager came out, wanted me to show pic (which I showed).

Still they ask me to go down the control station, which I refused. Boarded the bus, then station manager asked me to come to control station. What the HELL he's talking about. He has NO right to ask me. Finally I knew 2 women reported me, hence the trouble.

At the end they called police, and I demanded those 2 women to come along. They were coward, refusing to come along.
    But finally they came as I barked at them and "heated discussion" with MRT station manager.
    Spent 3 hrs in City Hall station, asked repeatedly by police, mrt staff, and the best was with the BOMB SQUAD.

Now you know, where your tax money goes to.... almost useless in this particular case.

In short : even though there's no "NO PHOTOGRAPHY" sign, the official seems have the RIGHT to bully everyone as they please.
    Last edited by ahandre; 7th September 2007 at 09:30 PM.
    ahandre (using Nikon & Sony Ericsson)
    MyFlickr-Ahandre

Quote Originally Posted by ahandre View Post
    Man, just FYI, I had a bad exp in City Hall Station. I was taking some pics in front (OUTSIDE STATION) of St Andrew Cathedral MRT entrance.

MRT staff still bugging me asking this and that, station manager came out, wanted me to show pic (which I showed).

Still they ask me to go down the control station, which I refused. Boarded the bus, then station manager asked me to come to control station. What the HELL he's talking about. He has NO right to ask me. Finally I knew 2 women reported me, hence the trouble.

At the end they called police, and I demanded those 2 women to come along. They were coward, refusing to come along.
    But finally they came as I barked at them and "heated discussion" with MRT station manager.
    Spent 3 hrs in City Hall station, asked repeatedly by police, mrt staff, and the best was with the BOMB SQUAD.

Now you know, where your tax money goes to.... almost useless in this particular case.

In short : even though there's no "NO PHOTOGRAPHY" sign, the official seems have the RIGHT to bully everyone as they please.
    With bomb squad? People have no common sense anymore......I feel sad for you and for the MRT staff

Terrorist will not take images of targets in the open and in public......when will they understand this? It is just too plain obvious to do it in the open!

HS

What did they tell you? Am interested in what their thinking is.....

HS

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    What did they tell you? Am interested in what their thinking is.....

HS
    Old, classic, reason : JI blahblah blah. At the end they said : "Sorry, we hope this's not ruining your day".

How dare they said that.....

Additional info : the MRT station manager should use his logic lah. I showed him the pic, i even showed my IC.

I still keep the Bomb Squad namecard. Oh yeah, he oso copied my whole CF card to Epson card readed/storage device. I insisted that he's not allowed to copy my lovely wife pics. Therefore he complied by deleting it from his device (under my close scrutiny)
    MyFlickr-Ahandre

vince123123
    Guests

I doubt they have the right to do the things they did. Take down all their names and write in to the Superintendent.

If they want to arrest you, ask them to name a charge.

vince123123
    Guests

You should not go into the station with them. Insist that they settle everything outside, in full public view. Get your friend to videotape the whole thing as well (if you are not alone).

I'm interested to know what was transpired between you, the police and the bomb squad fellas. What sort of "questioning" was used on you?

Photography nowadays are more like Sg U-Turn for vehicles... no sign cannot do.. do kenna caught.. suay.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

people nowadays are paranoid....when they see people with big cameras........pns they dont give a damn...strange!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    You should not go into the station with them. Insist that they settle everything outside, in full public view. Get your friend to videotape the whole thing as well (if you are not alone).
    if u are alone also can, use your handphone and record

This morning was at the Harbour Front MRT control station. As usual, the morning crowd is usually crowded. My appointment was 9.00am nearby the control station. I arrived, at 8.15am. So I was early and busy playing with my PSP. I was carrying a Computrekker as well and stood nearby the control station.

At 8.30am, 2 MRT staff approach me and told me why am I loitering around. I explain to them nicely that I was early and waiting for a friend which is coming at 9.00am. They asked me to leave the place as I was loitering the control station for more than 10mins. Clearly thereI was like busy playing my PSP and they could see me very clearly I was waiting for someone.

Now who the hell wants to stay in the MRT station? Silly right? So I offered them my IC, check my bag and check my body if they need to. They say no need. I wanted to stayed on but they say I cannot. At that point, I was getting annoyed with this young punk security and I again offer my identification and check my bag.

So another uncle security came and ask me what's the problem. I ask him where is the sign on "NO LOITERING IN THE CONTROL STATION?" He said they don't put it up but it's part of their so call "Security Measure". So they LL, they walk away as I insist on staying to wait for my friend.

I insisted on staying until 9.00am which my friend came. When the time reach 9.00am. I went to the control station and show to them "HERE IS MY FRIEND and it's 9.00am sharp!"

This security in Singapore is getting from bad to worst. Sure we need their protection for us to be safe in our rides but incident like that is pretty silly. Sad

OMG! we are becoming as silly and paranoid as the americans!

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    I'm interested to know what was transpired between you, the police and the bomb squad fellas. What sort of "questioning" was used on you?

Photography nowadays are more like Sg U-Turn for vehicles... no sign cannot do.. do kenna caught.. suay.
    They asked, where I was before, why I took picture (kinda silly question), where was I going to, how long I've been in Singapore, asked me if Photography is my hobby (tempted me to tell 'em my other hobbies and stories), where I was working, asked the name of places of every pics in the CF.

I was alone then, it happened in the morning.

I'm Indonesian-Chinese (I don't mean anything other than to explain the next sentence). I posted this story several months ago in the indonesian@singapore mailing-list, and some questioned whether there's racism involved (I guess not). I was suggested by some friends to not pursue the matter anymore.

I was just letting off the steam after I read this topic today.

I am still wondering, how can we ensure which places permit the photography to be conducted ?
    Last edited by ahandre; 7th September 2007 at 10:30 PM.
    MyFlickr-Ahandre

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla Invades View Post
    This morning was at the Harbour Front MRT control station. As usual, the morning crowd is usually crowded. My appointment was 9.00am nearby the control station. I arrived, at 8.15am. So I was early and busy playing with my PSP. I was carrying a Computrekker as well and stood nearby the control station.

At 8.30am, 2 MRT staff approach me and told me why am I loitering around. I explain to them nicely that I was early and waiting for a friend which is coming at 9.00am. They asked me to leave the place as I was loitering the control station for more than 10mins. Clearly thereI was like busy playing my PSP and they could see me very clearly I was waiting for someone.

Now who the hell wants to stay in the MRT station? Silly right? So I offered them my IC, check my bag and check my body if they need to. They say no need. I wanted to stayed on but they say I cannot. At that point, I was getting annoyed with this young punk security and I again offer my identification and check my bag.

So another uncle security came and ask me what's the problem. I ask him where is the sign on "NO LOITERING IN THE CONTROL STATION?" He said they don't put it up but it's part of their so call "Security Measure". So they LL, they walk away as I insist on staying to wait for my friend.

I insisted on staying until 9.00am which my friend came. When the time reach 9.00am. I went to the control station and show to them "HERE IS MY FRIEND and it's 9.00am sharp!"

This security in Singapore is getting from bad to worst. Sure we need their protection for us to be safe in our rides but incident like that is pretty silly. Sad

hey...must send all these stories to the press. see how the minister and police reply.

Quote Originally Posted by sigg View Post
    people nowadays are paranoid....when they see people with big cameras........pns they dont give a damn...strange!!!

It's funny sometime when you think about it. If you are a expert bomb maker and plan to place a bomb at say an MRT station. Look at the exterior lah...how hard is it to figure out where to put it. The interior is so simple that just by taking enough walk in that place, you would have memorise the entire place. Even if I were to photography specific place, I don't need a damn DSLR. A pathetic 3megapixel PnS will suffice.

This kind of sport check (where if what accounts told here true to form) if I were planning to do something bad or want to take photos? I would wait around till I see these wannabe protectors get all macho and start intimidating (bully more like it) some hapless hobby photographer over his shooting, then while they are pre-occupied with him in one corner, I will go the other corner and start shooting.

Imagine how many staff are on duty at the booth with one or two walking about per shift. Get one incident like this going...all become kapor and swarm around one guy they are questioning and the entire place becomes more vunerable. How smart is that?

If THEY are to protect us from the terrorists of the world. Who will protect us from the protectors?
    Last edited by sammy888; 7th September 2007 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs View Post
    hey...must send all these stories to the press. see how the minister and police reply.
    Aiya................no use one lar. Singapore Police and Security Companies are over doing it and too paranoid about it. If there was someone who really wants to plan a bomb, NO ONE can stop them. It is good to have security guards who works and be attentive about it but things like this morning that happen to me is so silly.

I offered them my identification and to check my bag but they don't want to but ask me to leave the station because I was loitering around more than 10 mins.

The security thing is getting much too paranoid AND oppressive in certain cases. They must be appluaded for doing their job but seems they might be over stepping their measures. Its can be extremely silly, just like Sydney fencing up the whole place for a couple of big big big shots and ruining business. Much too paranoid these measures are and wasting resources just one poor photog trying to express his art form.
    5D MII w/16-35L,Sigma 28-70&Nikkors(35f2,85f1.4,105f2.5,180f2.8ED)

They asked, where I was before, why I took picture (kinda silly question), where was I going to, how long I've been in Singapore, asked me if Photography is my hobby (tempted me to tell 'em my other hobbies and stories), where I was working, asked the name of places of every pics in the CF.

I was alone then, it happened in the morning.

I'm Indonesian-Chinese (I don't mean anything other than to explain the next sentence). I posted this story several months ago in the indonesian@singapore mailing-list, and some questioned whether there's racism involved (I guess not). I was suggested by some friends to not pursue the matter anymore.

I was just letting off the steam after I read this topic today.

I am still wondering, how can we ensure which places permit the photography to be conducted ?
    oic.. quite standardquestion, relax lah. nothing to do with your nationality.

Mabbe next time "threaten" to bring up to STB and embassy.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshSiao View Post
    Much too paranoid these measures are and wasting resources just one poor photog trying to express his art form.
    I would say that deterence are necessary to prevent some artist from using bombs to create chaotic art.

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    oic.. quite standardquestion, relax lah. nothing to do with your nationality.

Mabbe next time "threaten" to bring up to STB and embassy.
    thanks for the tips, may want to do it "next time".

Ey BTW I showed 'em my NRIC (I was just converted my EP to PR @ that time), meaning I am part of Singapore rite hehehe.....still kanna bully
    MyFlickr-Ahandre

Quote Originally Posted by Bored Dad View Post
    Duh, then how about those passengers taking snap shots using their handphones on some inconsiderate consumers? Does this means that they also can take photo inside the MRT?
    its because we're using SLRs, if you use a PnS ppl wun get intimidated. for some reason when ppl see SLRs, it suddenly becomes a sensitive issue.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast