Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: ST Forum: Can't one take photos in MRT stations?

vince123123
    Guests

Default Re: ST Forum: Can't one take photos in MRT stations?

ohoh okay I see your point now

They can do both the NRA and Penal Code thing for a double whammy though if they really find something else.

Quote Originally Posted by boredphuck View Post
    aiyoh. i meant bringing back ppl for nra then subsequently charging them under penal because u found more serious sh*t than not producing their nric.

I'm in for it if you guys decide to have a mass outing but I dun think tripod is very appropriate as it will obstruct others and may backfire like what our bro has highlighted. I felt very offended too when I was stopped from taking pictures in the MRT while some foreigners can happily snap away using their PnS.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

One thing I don't see anyone discussing is whether an MRT station is considered private property or not? In a private building like a shopping centre, it is the right of the owner to set whatever laws they want and throw people out for phototaking. A public place of course is exempt from this.

So is an MRT station a public or private place?

all these talks about making big gatherings at MRT stations to prove that photography is harmless are really ridiculous. some things are not enforced fully doesn't mean we should go around testing the limits everywhere. like someone mentioned, people eat in MRT trains but don't get caught, so anyone wants to organize a picnic on the train?

you can give the arguments that people of potential threat will not go around snapping pictures since there is already google earth etc., but has anyone considered that a terrorist taking pictures/videos of facilities doesn't just mean he/she is making some simple records of the place? he/she might be monitoring the movements of the staff at the stations, recording potential places for hiding stuff other than those places seen on normal boring landscape-type pictures found on the web.

why not someone just go try snapping pictures with the handphone around the station control and see if he/she gets stopped? i'll be worried if he/she is not stopped. don't be so narrow minded to think that because things are not spelt out clearly that one should take advantage of every situation, think about the stand of others as well. end of the day, you are just another photographer (or trying to be just another photographer)

i think just take the shots you want and move on. if the mrt officers stop you then stop lor. can always shoot another time.

i think sbs more lax about it. actually no one stopped me before. some that i got away with.

this one i stand there and took a number of shots

Vince, so can we or can we not take a photo of a protected building from public grounds? This is kinda confusing.

Vince has been very clear on this.

My stand is that if you know the picture you are going to take is going to sell for a million dollars, win you the top prize in a photography competition, or have your name written in history for that moment captured in time, by all means, shoot first and justify yourself later. Otherwise, please don't irritate people with our cameras. Life is stressful enough, why make ourselves a public nuisance?

There is nothing for the photographer to justify. The whole point of the arguments made is that it is SMRT which has to justify under what statute, Act or regulation it claims to have powers to stop photography on its premises, or take down the particulars of photographers, or detain people doing photography.

vince123123
    Guests

Yeap concur.

My view is that within the station, the only thing they can do is to ask you to leave. No taking down of particulars, no detention, no demanding for photos etc.

Outside the station, they can't do anything to you.

That is of course, only my view.

Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    There is nothing for the photographer to justify. The whole point of the arguments made is that it is SMRT which has to justify under what statute, Act or regulation it claims to have powers to stop photography on its premises, or take down the particulars of photographers, or detain people doing photography.

Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    Whichever is the case, once the picture is taken, it had better to be good. Or else, why should the camera be there in the first place? If the camera is not there in the first place, there won't be any photography to talk about and there won't be a law, which ask for a ban. It is not about the terrorists, bros. It is all about producing bad pictures, which doesn't make sense.

PS: Just trying to be funny. Not really want to get into an argument. It doesn't affect me actually. I don't think it is fun to shoot in public this way. There are many opportunities to shoot as official photographer and it is not necessary to irritate others where and when photography is not encouraged.

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    I'm in for it if you guys decide to have a mass outing but I dun think tripod is very appropriate as it will obstruct others and may backfire like what our bro has highlighted. I felt very offended too when I was stopped from taking pictures in the MRT while some foreigners can happily snap away using their PnS.
    A word of caution to all you people contemplating on a mass action. Be informed that any more than 4 people gathering together can constitute an unlawful assembly. The assembly will become unlawful if ordered by a police officer to disperse and his order is not complied with!

What law? What ban?

Quote Originally Posted by Yezrah View Post
    Whichever is the case, once the picture is taken, it had better to be good. Or else, why should the camera be there in the first place? If the camera is not there in the first place, there won't be any photography to talk about and there won't be a law, which ask for a ban. It is not about the terrorists, bros. It is all about producing bad pictures, which doesn't make sense.

PS: Just trying to be funny. Not really want to get into an argument. It doesn't affect me actually. I don't think it is fun to shoot in public this way. There are many opportunities to shoot as official photographer and it is not necessary to irritate others where and when photography is not encouraged.
    I think you still don't get it. It's photographers who are doing nothing illegal who are getting irritated (in fact harrassed) by SMRT's actions which are above the law. Not the other way around!
    Last edited by waileong; 7th September 2007 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by syl View Post
    A word of caution to all you people contemplating on a mass action. Be informed that any more than 4 people gathering together can constitute an unlawful assembly. The assembly will become unlawful if ordered by a police officer to disperse and his order is not complied with!
    Yes, that is some wonderful law, isn't it? Generally used by police against demonstrators. I still don't see how this law reconciles with the constitutional right to freedom of assembly, but I guess the people are resigned to it.
    Last edited by waileong; 7th September 2007 at 07:44 AM.

Tell hem we're from Clubsnap for a photographic gathering?

Welcome to the post-911 world, people!

vince123123
    Guests

Hmm? Are you relying on the provisions for unlawful assembly under the Penal Code?

Quote Originally Posted by drakon09 View Post
    Welcome to the post-911 world, people!
    Ya..we get terrorise from both side if anyone actually notice. hehe...

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Hmm? Are you relying on the provisions for unlawful assembly under the Penal Code?
    we can always do a flash mob.

When they stop you, say G'day!!
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast