Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Backup photographer...

Default Re: Backup photographer...

Quote Originally Posted by jacob View Post
    honestly speaking the official photog should know that he should start at bride's side and not groom's side.

is he reliable?
    Agree with you. Why does the official AD photographer cover the groom side ?

Anyway if you do not own any camera, spend $4k to help a friend is kind of
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    why would a official photographer want to start at the groom side instead of the bride side??
    Izit the groom need to cross the causeway to fetch the bride??

do you know most of the important and interesting shots are at the bride's side before groom arrive??

from your past threads, you seem to believe in equipment more then the skills, just wondering, have you shot any weddings before??
    Quote Originally Posted by jacob View Post
    honestly speaking the official photog should know that he should start at bride's side and not groom's side.

is he reliable?
    Agreed. Knowing "which side" should an "Official Photghr" be and starts, is as important as hiring/leave it to an "Official=>>Professional Photoghr" can be, all because this is a "Once-In-A-Lifetime"=Big & Important Occasion, agree anyone??
    Last edited by blueskye168; 31st August 2007 at 12:12 PM.
    Anything that can take pictures...happy already lor...(..but...Hasselblad_H5D-50 as my Workhorse)

one thing I know for sure...

everybody loves to shoot wedding...

but this is something very unusual to me......

spending $4000.00 to shoot a friend's weddings as back up.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Well, mebbe this is just one reason he wants to give himself to invest in a system?
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Well, mebbe this is just one reason he wants to give himself to invest in a system?
    so how much would you invest if need you to shoot your own family members' wedding?

my thoughts are exactly the same as the rest too..
    first time hearing the main photographer covering the groom's side instead of the bride's...

you must be one rich dude too..
    to get $4000 worth of equipment to be a backup photographer for a friend's sister's wedding...

hope you are really interested in photography...if not, seems like not a very good idea.
    You can be a backup photographer with your SLR too (assume that you are using one)

but of course if $4000 aint a problem to you....why not?

and remember to inform your friend's sister of your investment in her wedding...
    you deserve a very big angbao!!!

I think TS is an avid photographer himself & just happen to be thinking of getting a 40D upgrade when the opportunity to shoot a wedding comes along. I do not see the need to criticise him for that.

I don't like shooting weddings. I hate shooting weddings.

Another attepmt to be cheap by the bride and groom. If 2 photographers are needed, hire two. This should be coordinated by the official photographers so that the pictures will have a degree of continuity and harmony.

Beside the primary, the most important photographer, the guy himself/herself, should be covering the bride, nto a last minute friend who needs to buy new equipment to do as a back up.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

so how much would you invest if need you to shoot your own family members' wedding?
    Eh... depends on how much I have on hand... and if that can be a good excuse to go around my partner...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by grainpixel View Post
    my thoughts are exactly the same as the rest too..
    first time hearing the main photographer covering the groom's side instead of the bride's...

you must be one rich dude too..
    to get $4000 worth of equipment to be a backup photographer for a friend's sister's wedding...

hope you are really interested in photography...if not, seems like not a very good idea.
    You can be a backup photographer with your SLR too (assume that you are using one)

but of course if $4000 aint a problem to you....why not?

and remember to inform your friend's sister of your investment in her wedding...
    you deserve a very big angbao!!!
    give him a break lah, maybe he is really interested in photography and also really interested in his friend

but seroiusly the official photographer should be covering the bride and not the groom
    to the TS, i'd suggest using your 30D which you already know well to shoot

DP you are the only one mention hate to shoot weddings as I remember..

but to the rest, willing to try whatever means to have the chance to shoot weddings, TS is not the only one.

anyway, just to highlight that not all wedding couples value their own wedding day photos, some can forgo about having any photos.

so just give what the wedding couples what they want, nice photos, cheap photos or no photos. in the end everyone happy.
    Last edited by catchlights; 31st August 2007 at 12:37 PM.

anyway, to TS, the fundamentals of shooting weddings as follow:

#1, proficiency of basic photography.
    #2, understanding the rituals of wedding event.
    #3, using the right equipments.

hope you get the priority right.

but to the rest, willing to try whatever means to have the chance to shoot weddings, TS is not the only one.

anyway, just to highlight that not all wedding couples value their own wedding day photos, some can forgo about having any photos.

so just give what the wedding couples what they want, nice photos, cheap photos or no photos. in the end everyone happy.
    true not surprising and I encountered twice this yrs(is this gonna be a trend then, luckily I'm not so much focus on weddings), my clients just wanted the High-Res Photo-CD only not even photo-album
    Last edited by blueskye168; 31st August 2007 at 12:48 PM.
    Anything that can take pictures...happy already lor...(..but...Hasselblad_H5D-50 as my Workhorse)

Blog Entries

anyway, to TS, the fundamentals of shooting weddings as follow:

#1, proficiency of basic photography.
    #2, understanding the rituals of wedding event.
    #3, using the right equipments.

hope you get the priority right.
    you forgot the ability to communicate with everyone
    and make them feel at ease with you and smile big big

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    you forgot the ability to communicate with everyone
    and make them feel at ease with you and smile big big
    this wan can not be taught, you have it mean you have it, for those photographer don't like to talk wan, will say prefer to shoot in PJ style.

Cover his friend (girl) 's sister backup photographer .. and going to spent 4k is hell lots of money.

Wait last minute kenna cancelled you will regrets buying those equipment since you are not the main photographer. As main photographer, he has the right to know if there is any backup photographer involved in the wedding shoot.

I for sure wouldn't like last minute there is another backup photographer 'pop-up' to disturb you. Certain things you will need to knows, even if their relatives using PnS can also affect you especially when they are standing beside you to take images along side with you. Their focus may shift to their relatives instead of you, you have to be in control to know how to handle these situation ..
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

Well, I shot weddings years ago, manual focus film camera days. I did it because my friend was starting out a wedding planning business, and I was eager beaver like all new photographers.

Did that for 3 years. Every weekend during the summer months gone gone and gone.

Anyway, I just turned down one of my best friend here in Singapore, to shoot his wedding, as backup or primary photographer. I simply told him, I wouldn't not know what to do now, and that I want to enjoy the celebration rather than working throught the celebration.

Even if the wedding couple do not care, I assume TS is a serious photographer, it will be a stressful experience.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Wow after reading your posts,i seem to get the vibe you guys think i'm spending that kind of money just for this wedding.I'm actually getting the new equipment to upgrade myself from my 30D,so i was just asking for opinions on what to use and what not.But thanks for the advice and now i'm questioning myself and my friend....what exactly am i doing?

dont question yourself about the upgrade. you're doing this for yourself not simply because of the wedding. i think a lot of people either misread or didnt read a lot of the posts.

As for the wedding. if you don't feel comfortable that you can do a decent job, tell your friend to hire a backup photographer, and you can either sit back and relax or go around and cover both sides. this would be a good way of getting wedding experience without much stress. you can also use a zoom lens as you wont have to worry about missing a shot that needed a wide angle. so in this sense you can still contribute to your friend's wedding.

in any case, if you are going to cover the wedding, i'd also suggest that you start looking at wedding photos to give you ideas for shots and stuff like that. also try to attend the rehearsals so you get an idea of what's going on. this way you can better plan your shots in advance.

edit: i just saw some wedding shots that were done using a lens baby. you could also try this lens along with the zoom to get some non-traditional shots. i'm sure your friend would appreciate some of these shots in addition to the traditional ones that the official photographers will most likely do.
    Last edited by dw2chan; 1st September 2007 at 02:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duinchlfc View Post
    I'm actually getting the new equipment to upgrade myself from my 30D
    as in equipment right??

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast