Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camera On/Off?

Default Re: Camera On/Off?

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    Leaving the cam on while changing lens will have a higher chance of inducing dust to the sensor area as it's charged, so will create static and 'suck' dusts onto it.
    Haven't heard or thought about this before...... Normally I switch it Off just incase there is a Electric charge going into the 'new' lense before it is put in correctly.... or something like that....

Thxs for the Info

Scuba & Father... For Life

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    Haven't heard or thought about this before...... Normally I switch it Off just incase there is a Electric charge going into the 'new' lense before it is put in correctly.... or something like that....

Thxs for the Info
    The charge is on the sensor. Lens will be as per normal.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

ON all the time when on an outing/event. Only OFF to change lens.

never thought about the changing lens thing. next time i'll switch it off when changing.
    5D | 24-70L | 28mm f/1.8 | 580EX

Quote Originally Posted by dan_1337 View Post
    never thought about the changing lens thing. next time i'll switch it off when changing.
    U should cultivate this habit of turning off the cam while changing lens. I also do that, though once i forgot.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Well, it's true... keep the camera's off during any lens change or memory card change...

always be safe..
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Just started using the Canon 400D.
    Battery power is pretty satisfactory.

I'm able to keep the camera on all the time, with a 45 second auto off.
    Was able to take over 400 shots on a single battery, without flash.

Quote Originally Posted by Parka View Post
    Just started using the Canon 400D.
    Battery power is pretty satisfactory.

I'm able to keep the camera on all the time, with a 45 second auto off.
    Was able to take over 400 shots on a single battery, without flash.
    If u like, there's an option for u to get the BG-E3 battery grip. Makes holding the camera in portrait mode a breeze and adds another battery for extended life. What's more feeling of grip's also better.

If u like, there's an option for u to get the BG-E3 battery grip. Makes holding the camera in portrait mode a breeze and adds another battery for extended life. What's more feeling of grip's also better.
    Totally agree..... ever since i got my 2nd hand, battery grip, just not use to my 400D without it anymore. It gives me a much better grip on my 400D, less problems for long fingers like mine. Also the extra weight do make the camera more stable to shoot..... hahaha, but of course heavier to carry around

Try looking at the marketplace here for a 2nd hand battery grip. Sometimes the owner will even throw in a free 2nd handed, 3rd party battery.

Scuba & Father... For Life

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    Totally agree..... ever since i got my 2nd hand, battery grip, just not use to my 400D without it anymore. It gives me a much better grip on my 400D, less problems for long fingers like mine. Also the extra weight do make the camera more stable to shoot..... hahaha, but of course heavier to carry around

Try looking at the marketplace here for a 2nd hand battery grip. Sometimes the owner will even throw in a free 2nd handed, 3rd party battery.
    Heavier but also not as heavy as my 10D with grip. But anyway, also provides better grip for pple with larger hands and the extra batt inside provides extended shooting times which can be especially useful during a photoshoot or event.

U should cultivate this habit of turning off the cam while changing lens. I also do that, though once i forgot.
    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Well, it's true... keep the camera's off during any lens change or memory card change...

always be safe..
    why is this so?

Quote Originally Posted by westwest2 View Post
    why is this so?
    CCD is charged when it's on.... making it a good attractor to dust...

As for memory cards, it's to prevent or reduce chances that you may get errors on the card.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

CCD is charged when it's on.... making it a good attractor to dust...

As for memory cards, it's to prevent or reduce chances that you may get errors on the card.
    first point sound ok...

but second point...er...isn't that only important during the production stage of the card only?

I usually leave it on unless im changing lens or memory card watever,then i will turn it off

first point sound ok...

but second point...er...isn't that only important during the production stage of the card only?
    YOu mean writing of images to card? I shoot RAW and have encountered slow writing times on older models of cameras such as the D100 with RAW. So I would shut down the camera and wait til the light stops blinking on the card access area before I change the cards.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

why is this so?
    As above. What's more when u change memory cards for the older DSLRs (with the exception of 40D), opening the card door will turn the camera off and if u're writing in the midst of it, u'll ose your data. I'm not sure abt the 1D series.

YOu mean writing of images to card? I shoot RAW and have encountered slow writing times on older models of cameras such as the D100 with RAW. So I would shut down the camera and wait til the light stops blinking on the card access area before I change the cards.
    As above. What's more when u change memory cards for the older DSLRs (with the exception of 40D), opening the card door will turn the camera off and if u're writing in the midst of it, u'll ose your data. I'm not sure abt the 1D series.
    nono...i mean you all say dust will affect the memory card...thought its only during the production stage then its important?

nono...i mean you all say dust will affect the memory card...thought its only during the production stage then its important?
    Not dust... but if the camera may still be accessing the card and if we remove the card without shutting down the camera, certain parts of the memory may be affected or lost.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

But now we're talking abt dusts entering the sensor while changing lens if the cam is left on and not abt memory cards.

But since we're in this issue now, dusts won't really affect the performance of a memory card unless its internal PCB is heavily covered in them or corroded.

Just to share this, last sat i did a model shoot and shortly later it began to rain and my DSLR was a bit drenched. In my cam i still see the pics but after reaching home and transferring it to my com, some of the pics can't be written and lost. So i got myself another CF card for precautions.

So therefore do take gd care of the conditions of yr memory card too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12