Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: DA* lens at COMEX

Default Re: DA* lens at COMEX

Eek! I need a doctor! I think the FA 31mm is definitely the most versatile focal length wise but also the most expensive... Perhaps I'll settle for the much more affordable FA 35mm instead.

thanks fengwei for the SMS on the DA* but I was in Msia when I received it.... not that I can afford to get it anyway for now! hahaha

anyway the FA77 is a beauty!

Sometimes its hard to decide when the money is available. A K10D body or a DA70 or a FA77. sighs.....

Well it was a toss up between the DA70 or the FA77 for a while for me. So when I saw the FA77 up close, no need to have any more mental debate.

For those looking for a DA70 Limited, came across this seller.
    http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...4-limited.html
    Price is very reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    Well it was a toss up between the DA70 or the FA77 for a while for me. So when I saw the FA77 up close, no need to have any more mental debate.
    Thanks dennis,
    I'm curious, the 70mm looks like a longer version of the 43mm pancake lens where as the 77mm looks more like a standard sized prime lens. why the descrepancy? I understand AF for the 43mm is slow. can I assume the same for the 70mm?

Quote Originally Posted by airconvent View Post
    I'm curious, the 70mm looks like a longer version of the 43mm pancake lens where as the 77mm looks more like a standard sized prime lens. why the descrepancy? I understand AF for the 43mm is slow. can I assume the same for the 70mm?
    The DA70mm shouldn't be that slow.. I understand that the DA limited are much faster in AF than the FA limited. I have the FA77 and it didn't focus fast like my DA21. The way I look at it, when comparing the DA limited and the FA limited. It bottom down to image quality for FA or (AF speed + compactness) for DA.

These days with the everything on digital and commonly with people post processing and sharpening the picture, the DA limited are good enough, though not as tack sharp as the FA limited.

FA77 no doubt a great piece of glass, but similarly, my old piece of junk M85/2 can do the job just as sharp.

So, come on... they are just glasses... whether they are limited or normal prime lens. It boil down to how we use them..

cheerss...

Thanks dennis,
    DA70 vs FA77. Well the FA has an image circle designed for 35mm film whereas the newer DA can be made smaller as the image circle is specifically for digital. Also, size wise the DA lenses no longer have the aperture ring plus the DA Limited lenses all share the same ultra-thin design philosophy.

The FA Limited lenses all have a wider maximum aperture, which means more glass and bigger dimensions. This is particularly so with the FA31 Limited, which has the glass aspherical front element, which also accounts for it being the most expensive of the lot.

Frankly the focusing speed issue to me is academic. Both will focus fast but obviously the DA being more compact will have a slight edge. I say slight because you also need to take into consideration focal length and max aperture. Between the lenses, focusing for wide angles is always going to be faster than a tele.

Could have gone with the DA70 or FA77 but I'm glad I went with the FA because the subject isolation from the wide maximum aperture is very distinctive.

Anyway these are technical considerations, the key to good photography still lies with the photographer, not the camera.

Thanks for the link. Shashinki has got a DA70 and I've been resisting to BUY BUY BUY for the longest time.

Thanks Dennis, Seafone
    Thanks for the info! It does seems that only the FA series can be used on my K1000 whereas the DA series may result in some vignetting.

BTW, off topic, what does LBA standa for besides Logical Block Access (the only one I know).
    I did a search on google and surprise surprise, a clubsnap thread appeared which means it is used mostly here!

BTW, off topic, what does LBA standa for besides Logical Block Access (the only one I know).
    I did a search on google and surprise surprise, a clubsnap thread appeared which means it is used mostly here!
    LBA - Lens Buying Addiction (originally it's Lens Buying Anonymous), a phrase which has been widely used on DPReview Pentax Forum. LBA was originally from Lance B (at DPR Pentax) in Nov 2004:
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=10974399

For me it means Lens Buying Accident...
    My overseas client just emailed me to say he's shipping to me a manual focus Sigma 400mm f5.6 tele in PKA mount.
    I got to tell him to stop this...
    Last edited by creampuff; 4th September 2007 at 06:10 PM. Reason: spelling

My overseas client just emailed me to say he's shipping to me a manual focus Sigma 400mm f5.6 tele in PKA mount.
    If you mind him, I don't.
    Birds Of Singapore Android App released!
    the mac 13 on Flickr

sell to me

haha.

That's a problem easy to solve. Pls change the shipping address to my house!

Err... my problem is storage... this lens is big. Anyway I like surprises in the mail.

Err... my problem is storage... this lens is big. Anyway I like surprises in the mail.
    No worries. . I don't have that problem with my lenses.
    If you have any * lenses with storage problems, let me solve them for you too...all free..

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234