Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Just another moon shot

  1. #1

    Default Just another moon shot

    was on my way to back Yishun after work tonight, when this beautiful moon really capture my heart, and i'm decided to try my first attempt on moon shooting. I hv tried different setting like diff ISOs, Apertures, and exposures with my 75-300mm lens and handheld. I hv even cropped most of the empty space as well. Would like to learn more on how to improve my skills. Of cos my this photo cannot compare with those moon shots took by all CS bros out there, but i'm sincerely want to learn from you guys.. Pls C&C and share with me your setting.
    btw, my this is my setting for this pic:
    ISO 1600, f/8.0, 1/250, 300mm

    Thanks a lot

  2. #2

    Default Re: Just another moon shot

    wa, you need a lower iso, there's too much noise
    moon shots should be clear
    use a tripod!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Just another moon shot

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    wa, you need a lower iso, there's too much noise
    moon shots should be clear
    use a tripod!
    Thanks bro for the comment. Yup, for some other shots, i hv lower iso as well, 100, 200, 400 and 800 too. Probably tomorrow night with try with tripod.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    491

    Default Re: Just another moon shot

    Oh man... I had tried with ISO 100 and even bulb mode, I still cannot get such clear shot on the moon that can see it surface. All I got were one bright white ball...

    May I know how do you guys take such moon shots that can show it surface? Using filter or negative film?

    Took some shots last night because of the beautiful moon but it was a total flop.

    Though this shot is taken under higher ISO, but other than the noise, it still pretty well taken.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Just another moon shot

    Quote Originally Posted by yewsc View Post
    Thanks bro for the comment. Yup, for some other shots, i hv lower iso as well, 100, 200, 400 and 800 too. Probably tomorrow night with try with tripod.
    another shot using lower ISO:
    http://yewsc.multiply.com/photos/hi-...Fphoto%2F4%2F3

  6. #6

    Default Re: Just another moon shot

    Quote Originally Posted by Bored Dad View Post
    Oh man... I had tried with ISO 100 and even bulb mode, I still cannot get such clear shot on the moon that can see it surface. All I got were one bright white ball...

    May I know how do you guys take such moon shots that can show it surface? Using filter or negative film?

    Took some shots last night because of the beautiful moon but it was a total flop.

    Though this shot is taken under higher ISO, but other than the noise, it still pretty well taken.
    Thanks a lot. It was my first try as well, probably u can again tonight using lower exposure, f18, ISO200.
    I will try again tonight using tripod

  7. #7

    Default Re: Just another moon shot

    Didn't want to post here, so sent you a PM.
    I did a shot of the moon too last night. Hehe.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Guillemard
    Posts
    249

    Default Re: Just another moon shot

    Guys, take a look here
    http://forum.clubsnap.com/showpost.p...86&postcount=3

    And here is one of the threads for moon pics
    http://forum.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=214581
    Last edited by Jaycelim; 30th August 2007 at 09:31 AM.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Just another moon shot

    Quote Originally Posted by genegoh View Post
    Didn't want to post here, so sent you a PM.
    I did a shot of the moon too last night. Hehe.
    Hi Genegoh, u have a very nice and sharp pic of moon there.
    Thanks for your info, i will try that tonight.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Just another moon shot

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaycelim View Post
    Guys, take a look here
    http://forum.clubsnap.com/showpost.p...86&postcount=3

    And here is one of the threads for moon pics
    http://forum.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=214581
    Great info. Thanks

  11. #11

    Default Re: Just another moon shot

    I notice that if I were to view the first photo under my notebooks LCD (both lenovo & dell), there are lots of noise (somewhat like overexposed photo) but on the Dell Ultrasharp LCD panel, 80% of them are gone. Why? and if so which is the true quality?

  12. #12

    Default Re: Just another moon shot

    Quote Originally Posted by Bored Dad View Post
    Oh man... I had tried with ISO 100 and even bulb mode, I still cannot get such clear shot on the moon that can see it surface. All I got were one bright white ball...

    May I know how do you guys take such moon shots that can show it surface? Using filter or negative film?

    Took some shots last night because of the beautiful moon but it was a total flop.

    Though this shot is taken under higher ISO, but other than the noise, it still pretty well taken.
    u shld probably try underexposing the shot a little. though the cam may register the shot as "correct exposure", its probably because of the dark surroundings. the moon is actually quite bright. ive got some shots of the moon, and they were taken at 1/500s f/4 ISO100.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    491

    Default Re: Just another moon shot

    Quote Originally Posted by 2.8photography View Post
    u shld probably try underexposing the shot a little. though the cam may register the shot as "correct exposure", its probably because of the dark surroundings. the moon is actually quite bright. ive got some shots of the moon, and they were taken at 1/500s f/4 ISO100.
    Thanks for the tips, will try again during the next full moon, ie, the Mid Autum.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    2,703

    Default Re: Just another moon shot

    yea yea... wait for mid autumn! typically gotta shoot at low iso, high f-stop and underexpose by few stops...
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

  15. #15

    Default Re: Just another moon shot

    Quote Originally Posted by Bored Dad View Post
    Oh man... I had tried with ISO 100 and even bulb mode, I still cannot get such clear shot on the moon that can see it surface. All I got were one bright white ball...

    May I know how do you guys take such moon shots that can show it surface? Using filter or negative film?

    Took some shots last night because of the beautiful moon but it was a total flop.

    Though this shot is taken under higher ISO, but other than the noise, it still pretty well taken.

    Spot meter on the brightest part of the moon and it's a done deal.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Just another moon shot

    Quote Originally Posted by spheredome View Post
    I notice that if I were to view the first photo under my notebooks LCD (both lenovo & dell), there are lots of noise (somewhat like overexposed photo) but on the Dell Ultrasharp LCD panel, 80% of them are gone. Why? and if so which is the true quality?
    Yeah.. i noticed that as well.. When i first view it on my Samsung LCD TV, i cant see any noise. Until the bro Night86mare commented the photo, i tried to view it again on my CRT, OMG- so much noise

  17. #17

    Default Re: Just another moon shot

    Quote Originally Posted by yewsc View Post
    Yeah.. i noticed that as well.. When i first view it on my Samsung LCD TV, i cant see any noise. Until the bro Night86mare commented the photo, i tried to view it again on my CRT, OMG- so much noise
    The higher native contrast and resolution of the screen, the more apparent the noise grains.

    The good news is that all those grains won't show up in print.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Just another moon shot

    Quote Originally Posted by yewsc View Post
    Yeah.. i noticed that as well.. When i first view it on my Samsung LCD TV, i cant see any noise. Until the bro Night86mare commented the photo, i tried to view it again on my CRT, OMG- so much noise
    After looking at your photo and others posted, they were awesome. I hv never paid much attention to moon till this period of eclipse. From near, it gives you the cold, silent feel but from afar...looks like rabbit image. Wonderful.

    I have a quick suggestion for high contrast monitor user. Increase the gamma by 10pt will make the serious noise obvious. If there isn't, then it can be assumed clean. Standard MSPhoto Editor will do too.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •