Thread: Monitor Calibration free software

Default Monitor Calibration free software

HI
    I know this monitor calibration thingy has been flooding this forum, but most were talking about those hardware monitor calibration tools.

What software monitor calibration tools can i download off the web free?

Default Re: Monitor Calibration free software

Try looking for ADOBE GAMMA

Basically runs a series of test-patterns that lets you "calibrate" by eye...
    Happiness is a state of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by holidaydom View Post

Is the Adobe Gamma freeware? From what I googled, it is packaged with PS or Elements, so not free after all.

Quote Originally Posted by plasma View Post
    HI
    I know this monitor calibration thingy has been flooding this forum, but most were talking about those hardware monitor calibration tools.

What software monitor calibration tools can i download off the web free?
    Personally, I find s/w solution is not accurate and gives you a lot of headache not to mention heartache when you print out wasted prints. Investing in a simple colorimeter (less than $200 is available) is worth the money. That's my 2 cents worth

Quote Originally Posted by holidaydom View Post

And end of the day, red is not red, green is not green and blue is not blue.. Forget about s/w solutions.. It will only lead you to believe you have a calibrated monitor when you didn't. Stop wasting time anymore and get a hardware solution.

Just recently discovered that my pc has Adobe Gamma, wonder is it works well as good as cheapo color calibrator like Huey?

Quote Originally Posted by NikonShooter View Post
    Just recently discovered that my pc has Adobe Gamma, wonder is it works well as good as cheapo color calibrator like Huey?
    No. The worst hardware calibrator is still better than the best software solution (that's why most the of the software ones are free).
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 19th September 2007 at 10:47 AM.

I'm looking for a semi-pro hardware calibration pack in KL (<S$200). Any idea which brand I should buy and where? Thanks.

Isisaxon speaks the truth. For casual dabbling, you may be able to "eyeball" your way to a "calibrated" display using SW solutions. But you also have to factor in your room's lighting, time of day etc. These factors affect the way you perceive colour. Maybe I'm colour blind or something, but all my profiles created using Adobe Gamma looked like crap

Hardware based calibrators actually measure the screen's output characteristics, compares it with an established standard, and then write the adjustments needed directly into your video card LUT (colour look up table). There is no way we can make such fine adjustments manually.

I gave up on S/W calibration..namely, my eyes are not that good. So I got the spyder2express form engtong photo. Same price as what CP offered me.