Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hands-on with the two DA* zoom lenses :D

Default Re: Hands-on with the two DA* zoom lenses :D

Quote Originally Posted by gchiam View Post
    Hi fengwei, did u shoot in raw or jpeg? Any pp done on those photos? Thanks.
    I shot all photos in RAW+JPG, the JPGs look great as they are, but I did processed RAW files and resized for web. Was too late last night when I processed them, and I only have an old laptop at home, so most photos only did minor PPing before posted.

The two lenses performed very well even in the rain, the pictures come out quite pleasing to the eyes. I'm sure they'd be even better under better light condition

Will the lens be able to resist water falling on the barrel which protrudes out?

Quote Originally Posted by fengwei View Post
    You can, if you go to the COMEX tomorrow, and if you are willing to pay for it

Really worth the cost imo...
    That's my plan to get it at COMEX tomorrow and $$$$ is all ready. Hopefully there is still stocks when i reached there.

Quote Originally Posted by ryuggen View Post
    Will the lens be able to resist water falling on the barrel which protrudes out?

For light rain only

Quote Originally Posted by istDeS View Post
    That's my plan to get it at COMEX tomorrow and $$$$ is all ready. Hopefully there is still stocks when i reached there.

You must buy a K10D & the lenses together. You must upgrade the firmware to 1.3
    Last edited by SpendorK; 29th August 2007 at 12:40 PM.

Thanks Frank for these shots.

I wonder how much you are paying in singapore actually. I would love to snatch one copy of 16-50 f2.8 to use for a trip in november

Quote Originally Posted by ryuggen View Post
    Just like SpendorK said, it might be okay for light rain like the one we had during the testing. But if the rain is too heavy, I don't know about the 1650, but the 50135 probably would be okay due to its internal zoom feature

Quote Originally Posted by istDeS View Post
    Good luck then

Quote Originally Posted by SpendorK View Post
    You must buy a K10D & the lenses together. You must upgrade the firmware to 1.3
    That's bad. Most K10D owners don't wanna buy another K10D but some of them might want the DA* lenses ...

But it's great for someone who wants to get the K10D Grand Prix Limited Edition

Quote Originally Posted by roentarre View Post
    Thanks Frank for these shots.

I wonder how much you are paying in singapore actually. I would love to snatch one copy of 16-50 f2.8 to use for a trip in november
    Thanks James.

I don't know exactly the retail price yet, 'cause the lens hasn't reached shops yet. But we will see them (and the prices) at the COMEX (from 30 Aug to 2 Sept.)

looking at your pics, i'm damn tempted to get the DA* 50-135mm lens if only it isn't that exp..
    Pentax K100D Super

Hi Fengwei, what is your opinion if you were to compare the 18-50 to the sigma 17-70?

Compare a DA* lens with a 3rd party?
    That's not fighting fair!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    looking at your pics, i'm damn tempted to get the DA* 50-135mm lens if only it isn't that exp..
    The 50-135 is indeed a very good lens, hard to take bad photos with this lens mounted

all the more i would wanna ask...as i know fengwei also owns a copy of the 17-70 sigma which he is happy about..so he would be able to make some comments

Quote Originally Posted by exiledbummer View Post
    all the more i would wanna ask...as i know fengwei also owns a copy of the 17-70 sigma which he is happy about..so he would be able to make some comments

Once you try the SDM lenses, you'll wish all the lenses are SDM & you won't look back

Quote Originally Posted by exiledbummer View Post
    Hi Fengwei, what is your opinion if you were to compare the 18-50 to the sigma 17-70?
    It's 16-50, not 18-50 (16mm vs 18mm is a big difference)

It's hard to compare these two lenses. The DA*16-50 has a constant aperture of F2.8, and it is weather sealed, with SDM, and it's 1mm wider (a bid deal to some people, but not to me). While the Sigma DC 17-70 has a variable aperture from F2.8 to F4.5. At 50mm, it's about F4, that's at least one full stop slower than the DA*16-50 at the same focal length. Not a big deal if you are shooting under good light condition, but it's very important for some people. Of course the Sigma 17-70 is 20mm longer at the tele end, very useful if you tend to use this lens for some portrait work.

I'd say these two lenses are targeted at different users. If you don't need weather sealing, and don't need the extra 1mm at wide end, go for the Sigma 17-70. But if you do take photos in bad weather or around beaches, there is no other choice but the DA*16-50. Being weather sealed, I'm guessing this DA*16-50 lens will be quite resistant to dust too, which is another weak point for the Sigma 17-70 which attracts dust quite easily by many users reports.

Of course, there is a price difference you need to consider too. The DA*16-50 is an expensive lens for most people, but well worth it imo

I have the Sigma 17-70 (a very good sharp lens), and I'm replacing it with the DA*16-50 due to its weather sealing, SDM and being a Pentax

Cheers!
    Last edited by fengwei; 29th August 2007 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpendorK View Post
    Once you try the SDM lenses, you'll wish all the lenses are SDM & you won't look back
    That is so true

The 50-135 is so very tempting. Scared to go to COMEX. After see, touch, then want to buy... Already these pictures don't help... I feel like I'm about to relapse to LBA.

Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    The 50-135 is so very tempting. Scared to go to COMEX. After see, touch, then want to buy... Already these pictures don't help... I feel like I'm about to relapse to LBA.
    go go baby!

The gold trim really seems to match the K10D LE...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast