Thread: Macro and Macro adaptor

Question Macro and Macro adaptor

Hi..

Hi i'm really2 intrested in macro lately, and i need ur view between this two lense i mention.
    Which is the best macro lense dedicated or adaptor? Where n how much price range between this two.
    Nikon D70s/18-70mm kits/Tamron 70-300mm/Nikon 50mm f1.8
    http://www.photosniper.multiply.com

Default Re: Macro and Macro adaptor

Depends on your budget, how often you're going to shoot macro & how small is the subject.

If you have a limited budget and are only going to try out macro a few times a year and the subject is about butterfly sized, then stick to the adaptor. Otherwise, invest in an entry level macro lens like the 3rd party 90mm lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by ykia View Post
    Depends on your budget, how often you're going to shoot macro & how small is the subject.

If you have a limited budget and are only going to try out macro a few times a year and the subject is about butterfly sized, then stick to the adaptor. Otherwise, invest in an entry level macro lens like the 3rd party 90mm lenses.

budjet is not a issue , just wanna ask around for those pro macro.. I've seen tchuanye website it was excellent and was dreaming to take a shot like that..He was using just macro adaptor n simple DIY flash diffuser.

Don't know how much are Nikon lenses or adaptors.

For Canon, the screw-on lens adaptor (500D, 77mm thread) is about $300, the 100mm F/2.8 Macro lens is about $700 and the 180mm F/3.5 lens is above $2000.

For flash, if you have a shoe mounted flash, a simple white bounce card taped above will do quite nicely, or you could get the Macro Ring flash which will set you back about $800.

Since budget is no issue to you, get the lens & a ring flash.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyes View Post
    budjet is not a issue , just wanna ask around for those pro macro.. I've seen tchuanye website it was excellent and was dreaming to take a shot like that..He was using just macro adaptor n simple DIY flash diffuser.
    budget not an issue? get the true 1:1 macro lens... not the macro adaptor or close up filters...

OK thanks..

A true macro lens will definitely be able to produce better image than a macro adapter. Try for a Tamron 90mm if you are not willing to spend too much. A second hand will cost you about $450?

my advice is to start out with some extension tubes. these are quite cheap. a kenko set is going for about 100usd on ebay.

and then of course you'll need a flash. you dont need a fancy ring flash, just get a speedlite... i've seen some amazing macro shots where a person taped a tube to his speedlite so it gave a spotlight effect on the subject, was very new and interesting way of doing it. and then there's the option of just using a bounce card too

once you decide to buy a dedicated macro lens... stack it with the extension tubes for greater magnification.

i'd stay away from adaptors... i dont think the quality is quite as good.

Go for the Tamron 90mm f2.8 if you have about 500 - 600+ to spare. And if you have more than 1.2k to spare, go for the Nikon 105VR
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site