Thread: dull raw conversion problem with Adobe Camera Raw

Default dull raw conversion problem with Adobe Camera Raw

hi,

would like to ask about the a/m prob.
    shooting in RAW gives the power to "revive" a photo, but after editing, and saving it as jpeg with max quality, all the pictures turn out dull.

of cos in the raw converter, the RAW image is great. but somehow in comparison, ALL the jpegs created turn out dull.

i've had similar problems with CaptureOne Pro but the dullness was mild. But with ACR the dullness is really substantial. I know cos during compression, the RAW discard a lot of colour info, is there any way to reduce this prob?

really appreciate advice!
    thanks!

Default Re: dull raw conversion problem with Adobe Camera Raw

Quote Originally Posted by GaoZi View Post
    hi,

would like to ask about the a/m prob.
    shooting in RAW gives the power to "revive" a photo, but after editing, and saving it as jpeg with max quality, all the pictures turn out dull.

of cos in the raw converter, the RAW image is great. but somehow in comparison, ALL the jpegs created turn out dull.

i've had similar problems with CaptureOne Pro but the dullness was mild. But with ACR the dullness is really substantial. I know cos during compression, the RAW discard a lot of colour info, is there any way to reduce this prob?

really appreciate advice!
    thanks!
    What color profile are you assigning your jpeg images and how do you view them?

you export as s-rgb or a-rgb ?

Show us the before and after photos. Could be the color profile mixup?
    Think of concepts and work towards it.

i find that ACR is really hopeless in RAW converting. not only that colors are dull, it is usually rendered with a very horrible color cast.

the color cast cannot be corrected btw.

i had since gave up in all ACR related software, including lightroom. i use Canon's DPP to open those files, and then edit in PS, which, gives me way way way better sharpness and really great colors!

Quote Originally Posted by jssales View Post
    What color profile are you assigning your jpeg images and how do you view them?
    Hi, i use Adobe RGB 1998. it's default i think. and thanks u triggered an interesting perspective. the dull images occur when i view with windows XP's fax and picture viewer. when i tried to cut images for comparison in photoshop so that i can show airforce1, i realise the jpegs are ok, quite similar to RAW. although i uploaded the same jpeg to picasaweb and the first thing my friend commented is that all my photos are dull. So only windows preview and picasaweb make my photos look dull?

Quote Originally Posted by longkangman View Post
    you export as s-rgb or a-rgb ?
    exported as A-RGB

Quote Originally Posted by airforce1 View Post
    Show us the before and after photos. Could be the color profile mixup?
    shouldn't be mix up. thanks, i'll try to find a way to get the comparison then upload it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratix View Post
    i find that ACR is really hopeless in RAW converting. not only that colors are dull, it is usually rendered with a very horrible color cast.

i had since gave up in all ACR related software, including lightroom. i use Canon's DPP to open those files, and then edit in PS, which, gives me way way way better sharpness and really great colors!
    maybe i should try Nikon's RAW convertor also just to make sure i didn't miss out. cheers!

these were taken using printscreens
    although i now realise that the jpeg when viewed in photoshop, is as i see in camera raw,
    windows viewer doesn't see it that way.
    hmm....
    Last edited by GaoZi; 29th August 2007 at 03:15 AM.

these were taken using printscreens
    although i now realise that the jpeg when viewed in photoshop, is as i see in camera raw,
    windows viewer doesn't see it that way.
    hmm....
    Hello,

Unless your application is ICC profile aware. It will ignore the ICC profile embedded in the image, that's why the image looks bland. Try saving in CS2 as "Save as web". It'll show how the image will look like in ICC unaware programs like Explorer 6, Windows Preview, etc.

Best
    Wesley

Quote Originally Posted by Stratix View Post

ACR in CS3 works pretty much like LR 1.1 and you can correct the colour casts if you use the right tools.
    The default setting from ACR is a bit dull but by applying S-curve (increased contrast), vibrance, correcting black point and exposure you can get what you want.
    the colour cast may be something from the sensor and a typical tweaking in the camera calibration should correct that...
    Never forget rule 5
    My Flickr

Hi, i use Adobe RGB 1998. it's default i think. and thanks u triggered an interesting perspective. the dull images occur when i view with windows XP's fax and picture viewer. when i tried to cut images for comparison in photoshop so that i can show airforce1, i realise the jpegs are ok, quite similar to RAW. although i uploaded the same jpeg to picasaweb and the first thing my friend commented is that all my photos are dull. So only windows preview and picasaweb make my photos look dull?
    exported as A-RGB
    shouldn't be mix up. thanks, i'll try to find a way to get the comparison then upload it.
    maybe i should try Nikon's RAW convertor also just to make sure i didn't miss out. cheers!
    dont use aRGB.... your XP viewers work in sRGB and hence they need a colour conversion from aRGB to sRGB... this can result in duller colours
    Never forget rule 5
    My Flickr

don't blame the tools when you dont know how to use it.

but, now you know.. for web use you should convert using SRGB profile. then adjust contrast/s-curve/saturation as you see fit. then you'll see your image 'pop' right out of your monitor !

exported as A-RGB
    display in web use S-rgb.

thanks to all.
    sorry i take so long to reply.
    now i know!

This happens when you convert the file from AdobeRGB to sRGB in PS. If you know your final file is going to be in sRGB space, then this is easiest solution:

1) Use ACR to do your usual basic adjustments.
    2) Open the file in PS with sRGB space, not AdobeRGB.
    3) Make your final adjustments/editing in PS
    4) Save your with sRGB space (jpg, psd, etc)

Your colours will maintain their vibrancy.

Open in AdobeRGB only if you know that your final form (to be submitted for printing or further editing to a third party) must be in AdobeRGB.

thanks ansel!

i tried to read up more and found this on wiki.

"As the recommended color space for the Internet, sRGB should be used for editing and saving all images intended for publication to the WWW; however, due to sRGB's somewhat limited gamut, images intended for professional printing via a fully color-managed workflow, e.g., prepress output, should choose another color space such as Adobe RGB (1998), which allows for a wider gamut.

Images intended for the Internet and created in one of the other color spaces may be converted to sRGB when editing, using a suitable editing program, e.g., Paint Shop Pro or Adobe Photoshop; ideally, the original non-sRGB file should be saved and the conversion to sRGB done on a copy, as some loss of image information occurs when converting to the narrower color space."

Text by Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRGB)

For the technically inclined - this read will be enjoyable. talks about the debate between the 2 colour space and how aRGB is not exactly having a wider gamut.

http://www.earthboundlight.com/photo...gb-debate.html

again. thanks to all who replied and help gave advice!
    cheers!

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost....2&postcount=26

Your query can be found in my workshop to understand what went wrong

Quote Originally Posted by studiofriend View Post
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost....2&postcount=26

Your query can be found in my workshop to understand what went wrong

Hi, thanks.
    only item 2: basic colour management i not sure.
    i guess i'm pretty much ok with regards to the rest of your course teaches. cheers!
    hope you get lots of students!