Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MOON - How to TAKE ???

Default Re: MOON - How to TAKE ???

pretty bad weather and rainy too today....
    Nikon D80,D300,D700.Tokina 12-24,Tamron 90,Nikon 18-200, 70-200, 80-400, 50, 85, 17-55, 24-70 & no $

i'm in melbourne TRYING to watch the eclipse. the clouds have just covered the sky and moon. i even have a perfect view from my room window =(
    5D | 24-70L | 28mm f/1.8 | 580EX

Here's my very fast attempt at shooting the partial eclipse of the moon using a friends 90-300mm. I only had the chance to take one or two shots before it was covered in clouds again.

300mm, f/5.6, 3.2s, ISO400
    Last edited by dan_1337; 28th August 2007 at 08:01 PM. Reason: edit

Good try

At least you "got something", given the circumstances.

Been raining almost whole day here (in S'pore) plus with the thick cloud cover...

Quote Originally Posted by dan_1337 View Post
    Here's my very fast attempt at shooting the partial eclipse of the moon using a friends 90-300mm. I only had the chance to take one or two shots before it was covered in clouds again.

300mm, f/5.6, 3.2s, ISO400

shot from Wollongong, totally cloudless evening..

did not have a tripod to mount my camera on though, the following 2 shots are made using handholding + cropping.. (135mm @ 1.6x fov or 198mm @ 35mm fov)

Eclipse in progress

Full Eclipse..
    Last edited by FilterFunk; 28th August 2007 at 11:33 PM.

Something like this?

Shot taken recently. Uncropped.

300mm with 2 pieces of 2X TC, a nikon TC201 and Tokina RMC 2X, on a D200, mounted on tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by XC Pictorial View Post
    Something like this?

Shot taken recently. Uncropped.

300mm with 2 pieces of 2X TC, a nikon TC201 and Tokina RMC 2X, on a D200, mounted on tripod.
    Wow... that is beautiful.... the 2 pieces of 2X TC reall helps in the increase of your 300mm.

Scuba & Father... For Life

wow that's a fantastic shot!

Swee can share your settings?
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

Quote Originally Posted by yehosaphat View Post
    Swee can share your settings?

Exif data all retained in the image.. just right click and check.

Tonight's moon is bright and the night sky is pretty clear, anyone captured any shot?

I took some shots using only 200mm lens, still haven't got the guts to look at the photos in PC yet. Haha... Cause don't think it will turn out too well and likely need to crop to see a bigger moon. Haha...

Quote Originally Posted by Bored Dad View Post
    Tonight's moon is bright and the night sky is pretty clear, anyone captured any shot?

I took some shots using only 200mm lens, still haven't got the guts to look at the photos in PC yet. Haha... Cause don't think it will turn out too well and likely need to crop to see a bigger moon. Haha...
    I just done-ed. Same as last night's. Wish I have a 2x extender also

Scuba & Father... For Life

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    I just done-ed. Same as last night's. Wish I have a 2x extender also
    Mine was a flop!

Even taken under ISO 100 or bulb mode, the moon still appeared to be all bright and white, no matter how I adjust through PS, still useless. Ya, wish I have the teleconverter also...

To get a proper exposure (being not blown out completely or too dark) of a clear full moon, the exposure is 1 stop +/- around

F/8
    1/125-1/250
    ISO 100.

That means that if you use F/5.6, then bracket around 1/250-1/500, ISO 100. If you use F/11, then bracket around 1/60-1/125, ISO 100.

Actually with the moon so far away, sufficient DOF isn't an issue. So just use the aperture which is the sharpness for your lens.

White balance can be tricky and so it's better to shoot in RAW for temperature adjustment later. Using Auto WB may give the moon colour not what you want.

(p.s. the exposure required varies slightly with the different phases of the moon. It's a little more exposure required when the moon is not full).

I've taken the moon quite a few times in the past and the most recent being last Sunday with my Fujifilm S6500fd. Of course, with the longest focal length at only 66.7mm and using a 2x digital zoom, not much details have been captured in this heavily cropped picture below. The craters on the moon surface are more apparent when it is not a full moon and so, if you want craters in your picture, then take when the moon is a not full.

F/5.6
    1/160
    ISO 100

The dynamic range of light between the clouds and a bright moon is too great to be captured in one exposure. So if you want both to be seen, you would need to capture them in a few different exposures in different frames and combine them in post-processing (such as HDR or different layers or simply cut and paste etc.)
    Last edited by Clockunder; 30th August 2007 at 08:24 AM.

Here is an interesting moon picture taken by
    Noel Carboni

His website : http://ncarboni.home.att.net/Astrophotography.html

A medium resolution picture (there is a high resolution 15MB picture on his website link above) :

very nice shot of the moon. 5000mm telescope!
    Last edited by dan_1337; 30th August 2007 at 08:26 PM. Reason: scope

Quote Originally Posted by Clockunder View Post
    To get a proper exposure (being not blown out completely or too dark) of a clear full moon, the exposure is 1 stop +/- around

F/8
    1/125-1/250
    ISO 100.

That means that if you use F/5.6, then bracket around 1/250-1/500, ISO 100. If you use F/11, then bracket around 1/60-1/125, ISO 100.

Actually with the moon so far away, sufficient DOF isn't an issue. So just use the aperture which is the sharpness for your lens.

White balance can be tricky and so it's better to shoot in RAW for temperature adjustment later. Using Auto WB may give the moon colour not what you want.

(p.s. the exposure required varies slightly with the different phases of the moon. It's a little more exposure required when the moon is not full).

I've taken the moon quite a few times in the past and the most recent being last Sunday with my Fujifilm S6500fd. Of course, with the longest focal length at only 66.7mm and using a 2x digital zoom, not much details have been captured in this heavily cropped picture below. The craters on the moon surface are more apparent when it is not a full moon and so, if you want craters in your picture, then take when the moon is a not full.

F/5.6
    1/160
    ISO 100

The dynamic range of light between the clouds and a bright moon is too great to be captured in one exposure. So if you want both to be seen, you would need to capture them in a few different exposures in different frames and combine them in post-processing (such as HDR or different layers or simply cut and paste etc.)
    Thanks for sharing on tips in taking the moon.

Will try again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Clockunder View Post
    Here is an interesting moon picture taken by
    Noel Carboni

His website : http://ncarboni.home.att.net/Astrophotography.html

A medium resolution picture (there is a high resolution 15MB picture on his website link above) :

Wow! Very nice shot of the moon, it's so huge!

But then the colour looks a little unnatural leh, cause from the photo, it look like there are water or ocean in the moon.

I am wondering abt the blue patches too...

hmmm bit dubious... is there water on the moon? Still a hotly debated subject
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast