Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

Thread: MOON - How to TAKE ???

  1. #1

    Default MOON - How to TAKE ???

    I tried but if i took the photo that can see the moon clearly then cant see the cloud around, if can see the cloud cannot see the moon clearly because too bright ! Any suggest ?? THX

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    East
    Posts
    1,303

    Default Re: MOON - How to TAKE ???

    use a GND filter^^

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: MOON - How to TAKE ???

    Quote Originally Posted by chiduc2004 View Post
    I tried but if i took the photo that can see the moon clearly then cant see the cloud around, if can see the cloud cannot see the moon clearly because too bright ! Any suggest ?? THX
    Try ISO 400, f/16 and expose at 1/250. U need at least a 300mm lens.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  4. #4

    Default Re: MOON - How to TAKE ???

    u'll either need to do a 'hdr' kind of shot or use a special filter. it's like a ND filter but it just has a small circular spot where it lets less light in (instead of a GND which is about half of the filter)

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    2,703

    Default Re: MOON - How to TAKE ???

    tried taking with my 200mm with 1.4 extender at f11... shutter was rather slow... but effect turned out ok
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

  6. #6

    Default Re: MOON - How to TAKE ???

    Quote Originally Posted by chiduc2004 View Post
    I tried but if i took the photo that can see the moon clearly then cant see the cloud around, if can see the cloud cannot see the moon clearly because too bright ! Any suggest ?? THX
    Wait for the time of the year when you can see the moon just after sunset or just before sunrise during twilight, the sky would then be illuminated and you will be able to get a balanced exposure of the moon and the sky.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    PunggolJetty.Com
    Posts
    867

    Default Re: MOON - How to TAKE ???

    The moon is a very bright object (relatively speaking) and the general rule-of-thumb is to shoot at 1/ISO at F/10 or F/11.

    So, for example, set your cam to manual mode and ISO at 100, then set your shutter to 1/100 and aperture at F/10. Adjust the F-stop to suit your exposure taste.

    It's best to wait for a less cloudy day and try taking a shot around twilight (about 1920~1945).

  8. #8
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: MOON - How to TAKE ???

    the moon is lit by the sun, so you should be exposing as if it was daytime to get the a correct exposure of the moon.
    then take another picture of the clouds and di in the moon.
    Last edited by ortega; 28th August 2007 at 09:58 AM.

  9. #9

    Default Re: MOON - How to TAKE ???

    small aperture, slow shutter should help....

  10. #10

    Default Re: MOON - How to TAKE ???

    Hmm.. if finding a single suitable setting doesn't work out nicely, you can just take 2 shots (almost) consecutively, with one exposure for the moon, and another for the clouds, since you can get each one separately already. Then you can just overlay them and mask out the appropriate parts. ^^

    Taking the eclipse this evening right? xD I'm trying my luck too hehe.
    .: flickr :. | canon eos 20da | lomo supersampler as3.0 |

  11. #11

    Default Re: MOON - How to TAKE ???

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    the moon is lit by the sun, so you should be exposing as if it was daytime to get the a correct exposure of the moon.
    then take another picture of the clouds and di in the moon.
    Something like this?

  12. #12
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: MOON - How to TAKE ???


    ISO 100, F5.6, shutter 1/40, EV 0
    As can see..... the moon is overexpose.


    ISO 100, F5.6, shutter 1/125, EV -1
    Better, but still overly bright.....


    ISO 100, F5.6, shutter 1/400, EV -1
    This is the best one I had....

    All Pics where taken last night after Work.... like at midnight, on top of a Muti-floor Carpark. Also my 1st try at taking photo of the moon. But.....! I think a few fellow from a near by block think I was a peeping tom..... he/she quickly shut the Window. Hehehe

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  13. #13
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: MOON - How to TAKE ???

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Something like this?
    Wow.... real or not ??

    With the moon so near, the High tide will flood must city

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  14. #14

    Default Re: MOON - How to TAKE ???

    Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    Wow.... real or not ??

    With the moon so near, the High tide will flood must city
    Of course fake lah... DI one mah.. The sun setting in the same direction, won't illuminate so much of the moon. Moon is shot with D2X through Nexstar 5 telescope. The landscape is shot with Nokia N70 mobile phone. Gaussian noise is deliberately added on the moon image to match the noise on the N70.

  15. #15
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: MOON - How to TAKE ???

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Of course fake lah... DI one mah.. The sun setting in the same direction, won't illuminate so much of the moon. Moon is shot with D2X through Nexstar 5 telescope. The landscape is shot with Nokia N70 mobile phone. Gaussian noise is deliberately added on the moon image to match the noise on the N70.
    Hahaha....

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  16. #16

    Default Re: MOON - How to TAKE ???

    Quote Originally Posted by FeebleOldMan View Post
    Hmm.. if finding a single suitable setting doesn't work out nicely, you can just take 2 shots (almost) consecutively, with one exposure for the moon, and another for the clouds, since you can get each one separately already. Then you can just overlay them and mask out the appropriate parts. ^^

    Taking the eclipse this evening right? xD I'm trying my luck too hehe.
    Is there an eclipse today? Didn't know. Can you tell me where to get more information on that? Time? etc. Thanks!
    Nikon D80,D300,D700.Tokina 12-24,Tamron 90,Nikon 18-200, 70-200, 80-400, 50, 85, 17-55, 24-70 & no $

  17. #17
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: MOON - How to TAKE ???

    Quote Originally Posted by mrbinks76 View Post
    Is there an eclipse today? Didn't know. Can you tell me where to get more information on that? Time? etc. Thanks!
    We won't be able to see the eclipse lah.... it will happen around 5pm+ in S'pore.... hahaha, the moon is not even up yet. Just plain full moon for S'porean.

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  18. #18
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: MOON - How to TAKE ???

    Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    We won't be able to see the eclipse lah.... it will happen around 5pm+ in S'pore.... hahaha, the moon is not even up yet. Just plain full moon for S'porean.
    i heard from the radio that the best place to see the "Blood Moon Eclipse" is either at changi beach or East Coast Park

    no gurantee that you will be able to see it. and yes 5 something in the evening

    http://www.asiatraveltips.com/news07...nEclipse.shtml
    Last edited by ortega; 28th August 2007 at 11:07 AM.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    In the void.
    Posts
    1,323

    Default Re: MOON - How to TAKE ???

    Been doing some reading on the eclipse today.
    The peak of the eclipse is at 5+ pm but due to our location, moonrise today will only be at ard 7pm. The eclipse hasn't ended yet but, we probably wun be able to see so much of the red moon anymore.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    卧龙岗
    Posts
    2,736

    Default Re: MOON - How to TAKE ???

    cant see the eclipse? hop over to this url to see..
    http://www.discoverychannelasia.com/eclipse/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •