Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CMOS sensor

Default Re: CMOS sensor

Quote Originally Posted by Scaglietti View Post
    thanks!!! was searching nikon.co.jp for the info.

IIRC, LBCAST's technology is a variant of CMOS, so loosely speaking, it's somewhat being categorised as a "CMOS" type of technology. No point telling the layman a complicated term.

Any electrical engineers wanna paint a better picture or correction?

Quote Originally Posted by RogerKing View Post
    Think becos the CCD for big size is still some problem, all larger size digital camera using CMOS, but CCD has its strength, only the size is matter!!!!!
    Some medium format digital backs are using CCD.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ23 View Post
    IIRC, LBCAST's technology is a variant of CMOS, so loosely speaking, it's somewhat being categorised as a "CMOS" type of technology. No point telling the layman a complicated term.

pics in the link tell better.

Quote Originally Posted by canonikon View Post
    For Canon, they have been using CMOS for all categories of their DSLRs since day 1. Furthermore, Canon make their own sensors.
    canon's older line uses ccd.

so it wasn't since day 1 they used cmos lei.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalas View Post
    canon's older line uses ccd.

so it wasn't since day 1 they used cmos lei.

Which ones? I think they already used CMOS on their D30 and D60.

BC

the man with the eye for detail regardless of which sensor wins the races...

CCD or CMOS...people who produce wonderful image are more important...

Which ones? I think they already used CMOS on their D30 and D60.

BC
    The original canon 1D used a CCD.

Quote Originally Posted by gooseberry View Post
    The original canon 1D used a CCD.
    ah yes...

But technically, Canon start using CMOS since day 1 is correct... their first DSLR, D30 uses CMOS... ... just that on day 496, they used a CCD on their DSLR.

BC
    Last edited by Scaglietti; 28th August 2007 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by canonikon View Post
    Ermm...not very long actually, Nikon only started using CMOS from the D2 onwards (and only in D2 series DSLRs), prior to D2 all were using CCDs, why dun Nikon use CMOS in its D1 and D70 and all others? Because Sony do not make CMOS sensor for DSLR then. For Canon, they have been using CMOS for all categories of their DSLRs since day 1. Furthermore, Canon make their own sensors. I am not siding towards Canon, just stating what I found from the web. I use both Canon and Nikon.

Quote Originally Posted by rodel View Post
    What's the big deal about CMOS? What am I missing?

BC

What's the big deal about CMOS? What am I missing?

BC
    Actually nothing.

Most critical imagers are still CCD-based.

Do you find the colors out of CCD is richer than CMOS ?
    -Express yourself not in words-
    http://www.majere2sg.com

Quote Originally Posted by majere2sg View Post
    Do you find the colors out of CCD is richer than CMOS ?
    Colours are not dictated by the CCD or CMOS. It is the image processor and the software coupled with the sensor.

BC

Quote Originally Posted by AJ23 View Post

CMOS is based on MOSFET which uses an oxide to form an insulation to the gate of the transistor. A single switch uses both p-MOS and n-MOS so that only one is turned on to give a digital high or digital low. Together with the gates being insulated, very little current is required for its operation unlike bipolar technology. A charge on the gate with respect to the channel can modulate the channel width, therefore changing the amount of current that can flow through it.

LBCAST is using JFET (Junction FET) technology. Its effect is similar to MOSFET but the theory of operation is slightly different. Instead of having the gate insulated by an oxide, it is achieved by electron-hole migration to form a depletion region at the p-n junction. This depletion region effectively constricts the channel to vary the current that is able to flow across.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 28th August 2007 at 02:27 PM.

technically and loosely speaking, CCD is supposed give better pictures, however, Canon's superb R&D and far sightedness saw the potential for CMOS which has lower production costs, power consumption and heat dissipation, taking on this leverage they have managed to produce sensors better than CCDs today. You won't find the same image quality from CMOS from other manufacturers because they do not use the same technology as Canon. This is why earlier cheaper webcams were mostly made from CMOS. Which some mocked Canon DSLRs as 'webcams' in the early days.

In a way, the CMOS/CCD sensor does play an important role to translate how the colours will turn out, having a good image processor is just the other half of the story. It is analogous to say getting the pics right from the start so you don't have to fix it later with software.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

i think we need to get nightpiper in. I remember he was last doing research on a new type of sensor.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Actually being a bit of a techno weenie for sometime now...I recalled when I was producing video A/V production professionally, I was dabbling with video and imaging and keeping up with the technology.

From what I can recollect decade earlier...CCD sensor was the premier sensor for all high end video cameras although CMOS was also around about that time but back then CMOS had quality problem and had especially more of an issue with noise.

For a long time it was renegaded to being found in webcam for internet conference and still is if you look at all the webcam being sold that are not of the higher end models. ( and no those CMOS are nothing like the more advance CMOS you see in the D2X or Canon's
    )

I remember my first connectic webcam was a CMOS it was grainy as hell but it was for it's time the best around. Production cost wise...it is way alot cheaper to make then to make one single CCD. In fact when Canon first developed the CMOS to be the sensor for their DSLRs I was harking back to the early days when we were all laughing over the CMOS webcam but upon further reading and catching up with the technology, it seem that CMOS has been making leaps and bounds of advancement and by today's standard runs pretty close if not on par to CCD. By now you have to understand there has already been about 20 yrs of developement going on with the CCD sensor. But so why still take CMOS since CCD is still clearly in the lead though only by a nose? My best guess from what I read about Canon's venture was the quality was still good enough to pass for photographic imaging and most importantly, economy of scale....the CMOS is still the easier and cheapest to produce compared to the CCDs. You can still find CCDs in broadcast quality vid cams expecially HD but even that too CMOS is challenging it ...HARD!

Anyone who have read or know about the "infamous" RED Cam by the same man who owns Oakley sunglasses.. Well he came out with an awesome super video cam that can rival film and some of the most bulky professional video cam in the world....and at a fraction of the cost. If that is not a good testimonial to it's advancement to date I don't know what is. It sure has changed my idea about it way back...that's my take on it. Correct me if I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    Canon's superb R&D and far sightedness saw the potential for CMOS which has lower production costs, power consumption and heat dissipation, taking on this leverage they have managed to produce sensors better than CCDs today.

Actually they did not need to...by default from day one, the CMOS was cheaper to produce, uses less power and problem with heat.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    From what I can recollect decade earlier...CCD sensor was the premier sensor for all high end video cameras although CMOS was also around about that time but back then CMOS had quality problem and had especially more of an issue with noise.
    The push towards CMOS is because of many factors. 1) CMOS foundries has gone to 12" wafers. 2) CMOS feature size has gone down to 65nm. 3) Integrated electronics possible.

This new sensor is available probably because Nikon probably convinced someone (still undisclosed.. ) to buy their stepper which can do larger than 36mm steps and they'll give them business to do CMOS image sensors(?), and from D2X experience, Nikon has improved the speed and noise performance of the CMOS sensor.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast