Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Big Guns

Default Re: The Big Guns

Quote Originally Posted by peapilot View Post
    From the picture it just looks like the viewfinder they are looking through is at the bottom of the body.
    i think it will be easier for them when upsidedown, cause if not, it will be very hard for them to look at the viewfinder cause your face will touch the body before your eye reach the view finder,
    when upside down, they can see better cause the face was below the body, it just the right way to shoot i think. don't know if all of you know what i talking?
    by the way, the 'biggest gun' must be from carl zeiss, the-Apo Sonnar T* 4/1700
    see below
    http://www.zeiss.com/c12567a8003b58b...2571e100393a1b
    sorry, thinks it not gun already, it's a rocket launcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    Apparently, they've never come across this thing called the angle finder. Makes it so much easier on the back.
    i was thinking about the same thing...
    Canon 300D, 30D, 5D. 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS

Quote Originally Posted by Newguy69 View Post
    A lot of us have been saving for years to get our dream lenses. Rich? How I wish I am.

TS, may I know your intention for creating this thread?

Rgrds,
    Arthur
    I have yet to discover which area of photography is my favourite. I have been shooting for some time but have not found which area I want to zoom into. Moreover, there are "some" people around me keep instigating me to look into birding and get the bazooka lens and saying that the Canon 600mm F4L is a lot of people's dream lens. I tried using a bazooka lens in the recent EOS Experience held at East Coast and I have great difficulty handling those bazookas. I have to ask myself whether am I keen to go into birding or not.

Indirectly, I am using this picture to "instigate someone back" on birding.

I am quite envy about your group that so many of you have the bazooka lens and shooting birds. I wonder how is the experience like in bird photography. Also, everybody enjoy birding together, the happiness could not be described by words alone. The message that I am trying to bring across is that it is difficult to see people enjoying their hobby and their equipment together which money cannot buy. The money to buy the equipment is secondary.

Ha ha ha. Cash is always an obstacle to get the big guns.

Buy Buy Buy
    Learn Learn Learn | Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Fumiryu View Post
    I have yet to discover which area of photography is my favourite. I have been shooting for some time but have not found which area I want to zoom into. Moreover, there are "some" people around me keep instigating me to look into birding and get the bazooka lens and saying that the Canon 600mm F4L is a lot of people's dream lens. I tried using a bazooka lens in the recent EOS Experience held at East Coast and I have great difficulty handling those bazookas. I have to ask myself whether am I keen to go into birding or not.

I am quite envy about your group that so many of you have the bazooka lens and shooting birds. I wonder how is the experience like in bird photography. Also, everybody enjoy birding together, the happiness could not be described by words alone. The message that I am trying to bring across is that it is difficult to see people enjoying their hobby and their equipment together which money cannot buy. The money to buy the equipment is secondary.

If you have not found an area that interests you, then i'd suggest you stop chasing equipment, go for more shoots in the various areas with what you have in hand only. eg. streets/portraiture/events

Heck i started out with a 300D, 18-55 & 75-300 lens. I had to save up on my own to purchase a flash gun which is a Sigma (not even canon!). Yes i shot everything available with that setup and gradually found what I loved shooting most.

Everyone would love to own 1 of those "big guns" but even you yourself had mentioned as above .. and i quote "I tried using a bazooka lens in the recent EOS Experience held at East Coast and I have great difficulty handling those bazookas. I have to ask myself whether am I keen to go into birding or not." ... how often are you going to lug it out?

Are you aware that some times, they go back empty handed with not even a single shot? These lenses cost alot and to justify 1 for a specific use is mind boggling that even I wouldn't even consider.

Decisions are made on your own, no one is here to "force you" and whether you choose to accept the "instigation" brought upon you is based upon your own free will.

It is seriously sad to hear this. If this is the mindset you have about photography, then perhaps photography isn't for you at all.

Is this what photography has turned into? A lust for equipment and to get back at someone?
    Last edited by dEthANGeL; 27th August 2007 at 09:33 PM.

I bet there is a wood pecker somewhere..

Try shooting birds with a 20mm. It will work too. In fact, you get more birds with one single shot.

Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL View Post
    It is seriously sad to hear this. If this is the mindset you have about photography, then perhaps photography isn't for you at all.

Is this what photography has turned into? A lust for equipment and to get back at someone?
    Perhaps you are right. I do not have the EYE for it. To me, everything is following Standard Operating Procedures and can't "jump out of the box". Seriously I don't even understand the meaning of the phrase "jump out of the box". To say the phrase, it is very easy. To put it into action, extremely tough.

Looks like I need a lot of effort to develop the EYE first before progressing.

Nevertherless, back to topic on big guns, I got that kind of shiok feeling whenever I see people using the big guns.
    Last edited by Fumiryu; 27th August 2007 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Netbaby View Post
    Buy Buy Buy
    Buy Buy Buy and then Learn Learn Learn as per your signature hah?

Just curious.... usually.... how much reach is needed to shoot birds???

400mm+TC1.4???
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon View Post
    Just curious.... usually.... how much reach is needed to shoot birds???

400mm+TC1.4???
    JBP - A 70-200 would be more than enough seriously.

Out in the wild - Never enough. Especially if the birds are of a shy/small type.

Smaller birds out in the open are harder to photograph even, you'll need as much reach as possible. That's why for birders - no reach is ever enough.

You might want to read up abit on digiscoping.

..... Abit too big liaoz ... i wonder how big is ur dry cabi can be ...
    Canon5DMk2//17-40L//70-200 F2.8L//24-105L//35L//135L

Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL View Post
    JBP - A 70-200 would be more than enough seriously.

Out in the wild - Never enough. Especially if the birds are of a shy/small type.

Smaller birds out in the open are harder to photograph even, you'll need as much reach as possible. That's why for birders - no reach is ever enough.

You might want to read up abit on digiscoping.
    JBP.... Jurong Bird Park..... took me a while to get it.....

Digiscoping??? Ok... I went to read up.... Interesting......

I am not a birdie shooter... maybe might try... but just curious of the reach.... Maybe can try 70-200mm f4 at JBP for fun.....

Thanks for all the reply...

Quote Originally Posted by Kensuke View Post
    ..... Abit too big liaoz ... i wonder how big is ur dry cabi can be ...
    Dry cabi as big as a fridge?????

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    Try shooting birds with a 20mm. It will work too. In fact, you get more birds with one single shot.

awesome photo, kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Fumiryu View Post

To get into birding, u would indeed get best results with a 500f4 / 600f4. But that is not to say that it is the ONLY usable birding setup. If u r using canon, u could try getting the 400 f5.6, if nikon the 300f4 + 1.4x / 1.7x TC. Either way gets u reasonable reach on a 1.5/1.6 crop camera. U can then see if birding is your cup of tea. For some wild birds, a 70-200 is actually sufficient, but your options would be pretty limited. Slapping on a 2x TC would help somewhat. Not optimal, but it would give u a taste of how birding is.

As someone has mentioned, u can walk an entire morning without a single shot. yes, your shutter count for that day would be ZERO, despite walking a few km . It is quite different from going for your model shoots n such, whereby it's quite "bao jiak" as far as releasing the shutter is concerned.

Birding sometimes can be 90% waiting/searching 10% shooting.

Blog Entries

Firstly this thread is in the wrong section, as far as the first post is goes.

Secondly, I do not see the point of this post.

Thread closed

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123