Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fotoguide closing?

Hope they don't move too far away from where they are now. It is always very convenient to drop by when I'm at City Hall area.
    My Photoblog
    Canon 350D,kit lens,Canon 100mm Macro,Coolpix 5000.

People, I think FotoGuide is going to close for good. In Singapore, even being long in the business with business model like providing the friendliest and most price competitive service (until AP comes along) cannot work. Have some sensitivity. Imagine yourself being retrenched and people on hearing this shout 'viva la free-market'

A word to those still splurging their credit cards on expensive digital toys. Hard times are coming, you will get very little when you are forced to sell off your equipments. I am forced to let go my Hasselblad system and German-made stuffs for very low price. I now have my Nikon F3s and a coolpix 4500 camera.

Enjoy your current equipments and get the best out from them. For example, instead of splurging on a new DSLR and to further my photography skills, I bought some B+W developing accessories and chemicals for less than $100. I am able to shoot, develop and scan the negatives the same night to get "Full Frame digital". I even built a quick film dryer with PVC pipe with a computer fan. Budget projects like this helps me wait for front/back focus/noise/bayer vs foveon/high price and other nascent digital photography issues to settle.

Regards

Agreed completely tualan! Sad Fotoguide is closing, hope the 'rumour' about them relocating is true. Good also that there are still people around tinkering their own accessories together......nothing better to satisfy your own by making them! And instead of focusing on the latest of the latest, focus more on pic taking and improving that.........having the latest (or more expensive) camera/lens is not going to make your pics better!

HS
    Last edited by hongsien; 23rd April 2003 at 03:59 AM.

Thumbs up

Originally posted by tualan
    People, I think FotoGuide is going to close for good. In Singapore, even being long in the business with business model like providing the friendliest and most price competitive service (until AP comes along) cannot work. Have some sensitivity. Imagine yourself being retrenched and people on hearing this shout 'viva la free-market'

A word to those still splurging their credit cards on expensive digital toys. Hard times are coming, you will get very little when you are forced to sell off your equipments. I am forced to let go my Hasselblad system and German-made stuffs for very low price. I now have my Nikon F3s and a coolpix 4500 camera.

Enjoy your current equipments and get the best out from them. For example, instead of splurging on a new DSLR and to further my photography skills, I bought some B+W developing accessories and chemicals for less than $100. I am able to shoot, develop and scan the negatives the same night to get "Full Frame digital". I even built a quick film dryer with PVC pipe with a computer fan. Budget projects like this helps me wait for front/back focus/noise/bayer vs foveon/high price and other nascent digital photography issues to settle.

Regards
    Wise words

Sin
    Guests

Originally posted by cyrilng
    Wise words
    Yes, but totally OT.

What made him think that pple here lamenting the closing of a store are the ones splurging with their credit cards?

Originally posted by Sin
    Yes, but totally OT.

What made him think that pple here lamenting the closing of a store are the ones splurging with their credit cards?
    Because one less place to splurge with their cash or credit cards

OT for some. But my opinions nonetheless.

My response is prompted by retailer observations on current digicams buyers at recent IT show. Many are queuing and their flashing credit cards for expensive equipments. Retailers are hurting but Clubsnap are full of members shouting and encouraging each other to buy for the latest digital gears. We have people here buying Crumpler bags and expensive ballheads, suffered instant buyer remorse and offering them for resale at the near same price. Photo gears do not hold high resale values and are not hedges for investment value. What happened to Fotoguide staff livelihoods may happen to anyone of us especially in these turbulent times.

materialism gone amok, yea? =P

Default .....a gesture.......

Hiee...

Went to Fotoguide yesterday and spoke to them....they will be closing for good.........Another location....less likely.

Its really a "sad" environment yesterday...and imagine 12 to 15 people in the shop at one time....getting thir stuff before the shop close for good in acouple of week i think.

As a gesture of my support for these nice people...who took pains to show me all the steps in using my equipment i bought from them........

I got myself a SEAGULL TLR...from them.....and They took the pains to show me step by step to use this bugger......

They even gave me a roll free to demonstrate the loading and so on.....woohh!!!! Touched even they are goind to close down....thie spirit to habd over the photography knowledge live on.

And guess what......they even have a copy of CLUBSNAP forum printouts........someone might have did a great job sharing the feelings of photographers on the news of their closure with them.

Well.......really hope they have great job after this.....

Regards,
    Sulhan

vince123123
    Guests

just tried to call up to enquire abt the price of some stuff...the guy just told me they are closed and no longer selling....thot of going down n see today, but does anyone know if they are really closed? cos i recall yesterday 23rd i went like still open lidat.

thanks

I was at the shop minutes ago, they were literally closing the door.

Originally posted by vince123123
    just tried to call up to enquire abt the price of some stuff...the guy just told me they are closed and no longer selling....thot of going down n see today, but does anyone know if they are really closed? cos i recall yesterday 23rd i went like still open lidat.

thanks

Originally posted by kiwitan
    wah... so symbolic. you should have snapped off a shot and posted it up for remembrance.

sigh, there goes another good place to get Sigma stuff.

Sad to see them go. This was a shop with great service and good prices (otherwise how else to survive when you're right next to CP?).

Bought a Sigma flash from them a couple of weeks ago. Also bought my Nikon F70 from them years ago. End of an era. Suppose those that survive are those that can move high volume at low prices.

vince123123
    Guests

so mean they are finally closed? not even clearing stocks?
    too bad thot can go this evening to see if can get last min stuff

Originally posted by kiwitan

Deregistered

Maybe can organise a trip down there for phototaking session.

There goes a good place for filters... sigh... friendly chap that Nelson...

Originally posted by tualan
    A word to those still splurging their credit cards on expensive digital toys. Hard times are coming, you will get very little when you are forced to sell off your equipments.
    Regards
    Some will hate you, some will love you for saying those words. Hard times are coming. No deny about it. With the SAR problem in Singapore, tourism is down. Although the SAR crisis is slowing down the investments into China, these investment will still not come to Singapore anyway. Unemployment is definitely going to shoot up. Massive retenchment is definitely in the pipeline.

For those who can afford it, please buy, buy, buy to keep the economy going. For those whose job is unstable or parents' jobs are unstable, better "wise up".

For those who hold a job, you should know that "money don't come easy". See it in both ways. Since money is hard to earn, you should pamper yourself to get what you like, to justify the reason why you are working so hard. On the other hand, money is hard to earn, so spend moderately and save for a raining day.

From the economy forecast, I foresee a monsoon rainy season is coming towards Singapore.
    Last edited by e_liau; 24th April 2003 at 04:14 PM.

Funny thing was that I was there earlier with Avatar & sebastiansong, there were a couple of worker guys there who said that they were doing 'renovation'. But I guess Fotoguide itself is really closing

Anyone knows whether they have announced an actual date of closure?

Originally posted by leewt214
    mine dad went down to chat with the ppl in fotoguide yesterday, anyway,Fotoguide is not closing. Thye are just moving to a new premise. Penisular is just too competitive. So no worries man, fotoguide is still in business.
    Is it? I went there on the same day too and the feedback was they are closing...... And I even told them I hoped they will set up shop again someday... they said thanks leh...

So are they closing or not????

By the way anyone knows the RRP of a sigma 28-105mm f2.8-4 lens(estimate lah)

Blog Entries

Default Re: .....a gesture.......

Originally posted by sulhan
    I got myself a SEAGULL TLR...from them.....and They took the pains to show me step by step to use this bugger......
    Hi Sulhan

which model did you get from them and what price did you pay for it?

was thinking of getting some film from them

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast