Thread: camera and lens care

Default camera and lens care

Anyone cares to share how you clean the camera & lens after a trip, if any. Everytime i use a dry handky to wipe before putting my gears into the dry box that this question flashes across. Now that I remember to ask.

Default Re: camera and lens care

I personally dun mind sharing... But it is really difficult to word it down. Maybe one of these days I think I should start back my usual Nikon User Gathering and hopefully with these chit-chat sessions can pass some knowledge down.

You may call me 96456423(after office hrs) I'm gladly to share.
    Visit me at my studio: http://www.studiospace.com.sg

getting a dry cabinet might be the first worth it investment you can consider...

blowing the lens and camera plus wiping away any dirt or perspiration might help to keep the rubber condition tip top...
    if not planning to shoot for a long period of time, i would always remove the battery....

i think that's generally the stuff most ppl do...

Quote Originally Posted by hemohemo View Post
    Anyone cares to share how you clean the camera & lens after a trip, if any. Everytime i use a dry handky to wipe before putting my gears into the dry box that this question flashes across. Now that I remember to ask.
    Now it depends on your usage.

Light use : I'll just return it to the dry cabinet and let it dry out.
    Moderate use : I'll wipe down with a dry cloth and return to dry cab.
    Heavy use : I'll wipe down with a damp cloth, then a dry one and return to dry cab.

Normally, I"ll protect the body by means of gaffer tape and replace the tape every 3 months or so.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

I use diluted isopropanol that is 99.5% pure. But nowadays I believe there is a law which does not allow such pure lab stuff to be sold to the public. Well those pharmacy is 70% pure (which i use for my hifi and some other stuff), not bad also.

I always get oil stains on my cam and stuff, coz i always pick up food at the buffets....

Thank you for sharing. Really appreciate your pointers.

I realise I actually practise zac08's suggestions by intuition, except for the tape. I wiped my gears with close-to-dry (damp) clothes 2 times now in 6 months... always worried if moisture will get into the gears. But I dialed the dry box to about 30% for a few hours after that and restored to about 60% for normal storage.

What do you guys think?

Thanks.
    cs

Quote Originally Posted by hemohemo View Post
    Thank you for sharing. Really appreciate your pointers.

I realise I actually practise zac08's suggestions by intuition, except for the tape. I wiped my gears with close-to-dry (damp) clothes 2 times now in 6 months... always worried if moisture will get into the gears. But I dialed the dry box to about 30% for a few hours after that and restored to about 60% for normal storage.

What do you guys think?

Thanks.
    cs
    I believe in maintaining the humidity at 45%. No need to change as the time needed to dry out the moisture is more than the few hours at 30%...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site