View Poll Results: Is the use of the word 'dear' too intimate for casual friends?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

52 34.67%
  • No

86 57.33%
  • Not sure

12 8.00%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Usage of the word 'Dear'.

Default Re: Usage of the word 'Dear'.

When your partner is round you, people call you Dear is not as damaging when people call you Si gui (Dead Ghost) or tao yan (hate you).

When using the word "Dear" on others, it depends alot on how you look.
    If you are handsome or pretty people will usually enjoy it.
    If you are fat and urgly, people will say you chee kok peh.
    Last edited by Silence Sky; 6th May 2008 at 11:53 PM.

I noticed some foreign talents calls me dear. Especially European gals. Not once, but many times, I would just reply with "ok sweetie" or something like that. I wonder if it's their culture, really need to ask but don't want to embarass them. If it was a guy, I'd be freaked out though hehe.

Erm
    I call some of my female classmates honeys and sweetie and even called my poly faci by honey too
    As long as u are comfortable and the other party don't mind it's all harmless

Quote Originally Posted by yamapi View Post
    Erm
    I call some of my female classmates honeys and sweetie and even called my poly faci by honey too
    As long as u are comfortable and the other party don't mind it's all harmless
    Call me old fashioned. Thankfully, I don't know you, else I will think you are chao ah quah! when I read you post, you gave me shivers!

I will never call my poly faci "honey", cause I think its disrespectful. But don't mind me. I grew up learning that I need to respect all my elders.

HAHAHA!
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

urr,why system throw up old post to the top? my post was 6 days old....hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by blive View Post
    urr,why system throw up old post to the top? my post was 6 days old....hmmm
    when someone vote, it will be

automatically.

anyway, the word dear is used in the salutation of a letter as an expression of affection or respect or as a conventional greeting: Dear Sir, Dear Madam.

there is nothing wrong for using the word , dear.
    Last edited by ninelives; 21st May 2008 at 11:15 PM.
    Objection !!!

haha yes Dear Sir, Dear Madam.. but then if you're really casual, you wouldn't be calling them Sir/Madam would you? You would just address them by name! i think it attaches a sense of formality to it with a touch of intimacy. that intimacy can be extended out in a broad sense, and depends on cultures and society that judges it to be over intimate for casual friends.

i write to my lecturers dear (name) in emails as well.. but i wouldnt go hey dear "so and so".. how're you today? *wink*

hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by mrchua View Post
    haha yes Dear Sir, Dear Madam.. but then if you're really casual, you wouldn't be calling them Sir/Madam would you? You would just address them by name! i think it attaches a sense of formality to it with a touch of intimacy. that intimacy can be extended out in a broad sense, and depends on cultures and society that judges it to be over intimate for casual friends.

i write to my lecturers dear (name) in emails as well.. but i wouldnt go hey dear "so and so".. how're you today? *wink*

hahaha
    I can understand the use of "dear" in writing. Its more polite, but to hear a young man going around calling all the girls and the lecturers "dear" all the time. That's abit creepy. Give me the shivers!

Not very macho....

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456