View Poll Results: Is the use of the word 'dear' too intimate for casual friends?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

52 34.67%
  • No

86 57.33%
  • Not sure

12 8.00%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Usage of the word 'Dear'.

Default Usage of the word 'Dear'.

I have a question on the informal use of the word 'dear'. Do you think it's alright to use in regular context between casual friends or do you think it should be reserved for someone you are very close with like a loved one? I'll like to use the following phrases as examples:

How are you dear?
    Have you eaten dear?
    Bye dear!
    Dear... ( to get the person's attention)

Please give me your opinions.

Edit: I know it's commonly used between girls. But the context is between opposite sexes? I find it too intimate for casual use as only my wife will call me 'Dear'.
    Last edited by Newman; 25th August 2007 at 04:40 PM.

Default Re: Usage of the word 'Dear'.

Dear Newman...

Oh dear! You have been thinking too dearly about this dear.

Reindeer
    Deer
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

I use 'Dear' to address any models, and no one has ever been bothered yet....
    Even if I write ..... "Dear Sion ......." dont think he will mind.
    always the Light, .... always.

Dear Newman

You have been reading too much Newman!
    Dear me, you are thinking too much about this "dear" thing, time is a dear thing and if you think too dearly on it the deer will come and drink beer

ANYONE ALSO CAN CALL DEAR LA
    So long as it's not guy calling guy, and even then seldom is ok as a jest, too often means something is wrong with both of you so I suppose you'd think it's alright in the first place!

I started this topic because someone asked me and when I asked my friends and colleagues, I received a lot of differing opinions. So it can be quite subjective. Imagine if your female colleague called you dear in front of your wife. Would your wife be able to accept it as a casual salutation. 'Dear' can have varied meanings depending on the context. It can even be sarcastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    I use 'Dear' to address any models, and no one has ever been bothered yet....
    Even if I write ..... "Dear Sion ......." dont think he will mind.
    Is "Dear Sion..." the same as "Sion dear...."?

Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    I started this topic because someone asked me and when I asked my friends and colleagues, I received a lot of differing opinions. So it can be quite subjective. Imagine if your female colleague called you dear in front of your wife. Would your wife be able to accept it as a casual salutation. 'Dear' can have varied meanings depending on the context. It can even be sarcastic.
    Oho

Got wifey only you two can call each other dear

No wifey then the whole world call you dear also can la from Pat Mok to Jessica Alba, vice versa

Such is the way of life

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Oho

Got wifey only you two can call each other dear

No wifey then the whole world call you dear also can la from Pat Mok to Jessica Alba, vice versa

Such is the way of life
    Dear would mean 'sweetheart' or 'darling' in the context of my wife and I. So would your girlfriend/wife mind if another girl calls you dear?

To girls, I call them "dear", to my girlfriends, call them "darling".

Dear would mean 'sweetheart' or 'darling' in the context of my wife and I. So would your girlfriend/wife mind if another girl calls you dear?
    No tell no minding =D =D =D

Just like Sion calls his pink shoes dear

Imagine if his wife found out

Doe a Dear a FEMALE DEAR...
    Ray a drop of golden sun...
    Me a name i call myself...
    Far i see Newman start to run...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    No tell no minding =D =D =D

Just like Sion calls his pink shoes dear

Imagine if his wife found out
    Psychological abnormalies aside, would anyone's spouse/gf/bf not mind if someone else calls you dear in front of him/her?

Psychological abnormalies aside, would anyone's spouse/gf/bf not mind if someone else calls you dear in front of him/her?
    hmm, that depends on the relationship...

if i go to a restaurant, and then a waitress comes to me and say, DEAR sir, would you mind having a counter seat? then my gf being overly sensitive gave her a slap... hmm... i think i don't mind any other guys call her dear and i can have a stress venting showdown...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Folks, I'd like to keep this topic straight to the point so please don't flood it with unnecessary banter. I just want to clarify this issue for a friend. I hope those who polled would put in some feedback as well. So far got 1 'Yes' but no feedback on it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post

if i go to a restaurant, and then a waitress comes to me and say, DEAR sir, would you mind having a counter seat? then my gf being overly sensitive gave her a slap... hmm... i think i don't mind any other guys call her dear and i can have a stress venting showdown...
    how come you and your gf so violent one? like husband like wife sia

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    how come you and your gf so violent one? like husband like wife sia
    singapore too stressful liao, japan girls better... only guys get to slap...

'Dear sir' is different'. If she just called you 'Dear' only, I'm sure you will be the one answering a lot of questions from your gf.

Alamak Newman is actually serious, and not doing a Harry Potter!

Well Newman it depends on the tone lor, if it's a close friend then usually they'd be close enough to know what your wife/gf is like and act accordingly, don't see any issue. For colleagues not close enough how can anyhow call like that

If other guys goose your gf how ar DCA

Folks, I'd like to keep this topic straight to the point so please don't flood it with unnecessary banter. I just want to clarify this issue for a friend. I hope those who polled would put in some feedback as well. So far got 1 'Yes' but no feedback on it yet.
    when in doubt, get to the source of the problem, asking 3rd, 4th, 5th ... persons only gives you more doubt. you don't call others the ''3rd party'' for nothing, they'll just party over it

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    when in doubt, get to the source of the problem, asking 3rd, 4th, 5th ... persons only gives you more doubt. you don't call others the ''3rd party'' for nothing, they'll just party over it
    Party!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast