Thread: Filter queries

Talking Filter queries

Hey professionals and amateur out there, can someone help me as in what is the function of a warm-up filter and a UV filter?

Any website that provide photo examples....

UV filter. Couldn't find warmup one...

Warm up filters are splited into categories: 81 & 85

81A, 81B, 81C are light balancing filters used to decrease the color temperature slightly for a warmer (redder) tone. Corrects the tendency toward bluish tones. For example, the 81A should be selected when using tungsten Type B color film (3200K) with photoflood lamps (3400K) These filters can be used together.

85, 85B, 85C are color conversion filters for the use of tungsten type color films in daylight. 85 decreases the color temperature from 5500K to 3400K for the use of Type A color films. 85B decreases the color temperature from 5500K to 3200K for the use of Type B color films. 85C decreases the color temperature from 5500K to 3800K. The effect obtained is the same as with daylight type color films used in daylight.

Source: http://www.thkphoto.com/products/hoya/index.html

can they both be replaced by photoshop?

Originally posted by shuy
    can they both be replaced by photoshop?
    unless you are film user, i think. and besides that, there is white balance on most digital cameras.

willageeboy
    Guests

Some places need warming up, such as cities where there is a lot of concrete. I use an 81A all the time as portraits work better with them generally. If you are using digital then this is not a problem. I used to always shoot a white card for the first frame of a shoot to balance any colour temp factors.