Thread: Starhup slow connection !!

Default Starhup slow connection !!

Hi,

I am experiencing a relative slow internet connection speed from Starhup cable since last week or so. It is faster then modem for sure, but no where near the speed it used to be.

If you are using StarHup and experience the same problem, please let me know I will follow up with them.

I yet call starhup, because without enough prove, they may blame it on my PC.

Thanks
    Thanh

I think it may be better if you included your location too?

Originally posted by Silverelf
    I think it may be better if you included your location too?
    SCV ?? i also kenah quite slow leh

Harrican
    Guests

Angry

Now that you mention.. i think mine also slow.. my kazaa used to hit at least 50kbs, now onli abt 20kbs

i live in amk btw...

Default MC

mine was slow as well, its terrible, that's not what we paid for isn't it.. since we all have this problem, why not we do a MC (mass complaint)

Default Re: MC

Originally posted by Goldmember
    mine was slow as well, its terrible, that's not what we paid for isn't it.. since we all have this problem, why not we do a MC (mass complaint)
    great idea ! hone:

connection speed really depends on location, no. of users, traffic condition.. programs like kazza which runs on peer to peer network will depend on other user's bandwidth to send files over to you, they may disable thier file sharing which will result in lesser ppl sending files to you or may cap thier outgoing bandwidth to save it for themselves. As for web surfing, i assume most of us here will know that the speed depends on the server load and available bandwidth, more user=slower access... eg. HWZ forums.

although the fault sometimes also lie on the ISP side, but one must take into other considerations before making an assumption.

Hi,

Thanks for all the check out. I will follow up with Starhup hope they can improve this a bit.

Also, Can you open a dos prompt and do :

ping www.starhub.com. The round trip from my PC is 250 ms. Please let me know if your is faster than this.

Also, I am living in D9 (River Valley)

Thanks
    Thanh

Wow. I use a 56k modem and get a round trip timing of 111 ms!

my results :

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 14ms, Maximum = 33ms, Average = 23ms

From CCK

Wow, 32ms - Sound like either my PC or network in my area is having problem then. I will check out and let you know.

(Even modem is faster than my )

Thought I was the only one having a slow connection with SCV till I read the thread. Yes, I experienced slow connections since last week or so, especially yahoo.com (only the initial connection to their mail site, after that it is quite fast) and eBay, but that could also be due to the high usage there.

For the connection to SCV's website itself it was considerably slower than connecting to clubsnap for example! At least at my block (Ghim Moh Blk 14).

BTW: how to do a speed test in msec? 'Ping' how to do that? I am using an iMac.

Hong Sien

I also have this problem on Singnet Broadband last two week ago....but now seems ok liao....

Hongsien: I don't know anything about MAC so cannot be helpfull here. While investigating the problem, i came across this site, hope this is what you are looking for. http://www.pcpitstop.com
    Becarefull, pcpitstop it will down load "something" on your machine to run the test, not sure if any "spy" software is installed. So it is up to you to decide whether to thrust it or not.

Alternatively, you can try CNET bandwidth test (which you can thrust the site). But the result may not be accurated since it is for US.

http://webservices.cnet.com/Bandwidth/

Hi Longman, can you try to measure the bandwidth speed from CNET site and let us know? - so we can compare the result.

My current bandwidth from CNET meter is 107KBs . (Not happy -max online is suppose to be 1.5G).

Originally posted by thanhle
    Hongsien: I don't know anything about MAC so cannot be helpfull here. While investigating the problem, i came across this site, hope this is what you are looking for. http://www.pcpitstop.com
    Becarefull, pcpitstop it will down load "something" on your machine to run the test, not sure if any "spy" software is installed. So it is up to you to decide whether to thrust it or not.

Alternatively, you can try CNET bandwidth test (which you can thrust the site). But the result may not be accurated since it is for US.

http://webservices.cnet.com/Bandwidth/

Hi Longman, can you try to measure the bandwidth speed from CNET site and let us know? - so we can compare the result.

My current bandwidth from CNET meter is 107KBs . (Not happy -max online is suppose to be 1.5G).
    I'm getting 153 kbps on 256k ADSL....
    is that good?

Originally posted by longman
    I'm getting 153 kbps on 256k ADSL....
    is that good?
    i think mine is considered as slow too

874 kbps

Did the CNET test yesterday afternoon:

82-92 kbps on SCV cable (four runs each only seconds after each other)

CNET test today afternoon (2:55pm):

698-806 kbps (four runs and only seconds after each other)

It seems the speed varies alot on different times........(up to ten times!!!)

Hong Sien

Harrican
    Guests

Ya.. i cant even do the test yesterday or load anything from photosig.. Now can liao.. maybe its timing

Originally posted by thanhle

1.5G? Internet II erh?

1.5Mbps shared actually.

try this.

use flashget/getright/netants or whatever software.

download a large file from http://fun.s-one.net.sg, find one which is > 50MB.

Then look at the speed of the download.

If you can reach up to 190+KB/s, it means your connection should be quite good.

1.5Mbps = 192KB/s

use the URL for conversion chart of bits and bytes

http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/computerhttp://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/computer