Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Max Heights - Advise pls

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    124

    Default Max Heights - Advise pls

    Hi All,

    I recently gave a Manfrotto 055XB to my Wife. However, the max height of this tripod, together with the Ball head, exceeded her heights. I understand there are preset height level to open the legs even wider thus reducing the overall heights of the tripod but that kinda take up too much time deploying.

    Is there anyway we can 'limit' the max extended height of this tripod?

    Many thanks, in advance pls.

    dan
    1Ds Mk III / EF 16-35 f2.8L II / EF 24-70 f2.8L / EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II / EF 85 f1.2L II

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Max Heights - Advise pls

    Quote Originally Posted by danmic View Post
    Hi All,

    I recently gave a Manfrotto 055XB to my Wife. However, the max height of this tripod, together with the Ball head, exceeded her heights. I understand there are preset height level to open the legs even wider thus reducing the overall heights of the tripod but that kinda take up too much time deploying.

    Is there anyway we can 'limit' the max extended height of this tripod?

    Many thanks, in advance pls.

    dan
    duh, ain't that easy? just don pull out the leg extension complete...

  3. #3
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: Max Heights - Advise pls

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    duh, ain't that easy? just don pull out the leg extension complete...
    good one..

    For me..tripod height not high enuff..can't afford those big size birding tripods..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  4. #4
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Max Heights - Advise pls

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    duh, ain't that easy? just don pull out the leg extension complete...
    Make a marking at her maximum height and when she deploys it the next time, dun exceed that marking.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    124

    Default Re: Max Heights - Advise pls

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Make a marking at her maximum height and when she deploys it the next time, dun exceed that marking.
    Tks Zac. Taht's what we did. Juz chking to see if there is indeed a way to 'preset' the max height on this model of tripod. Partly also b'cos there is this small little clip that came with the tripod that we've yet to figure the purpose.

    Thanks anyway.
    dan
    1Ds Mk III / EF 16-35 f2.8L II / EF 24-70 f2.8L / EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II / EF 85 f1.2L II

  6. #6
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Max Heights - Advise pls

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    duh, ain't that easy? just don pull out the leg extension complete...
    hahahah...sorry I just can't help it man....that was a classic repond haaaa...and you would think it should be apparent by now.

  7. #7
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Max Heights - Advise pls

    Quote Originally Posted by danmic View Post
    Tks Zac. Taht's what we did. Juz chking to see if there is indeed a way to 'preset' the max height on this model of tripod. Partly also b'cos there is this small little clip that came with the tripod that we've yet to figure the purpose.

    Thanks anyway.
    dan

    Ideally, you should always try to use the 3 legs to adjust whatever height you want and not resort to extending the center tube as it can compromise it's stability to not wobble especially if you have a heavy camera/lens combo.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Max Heights - Advise pls

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    hahahah...sorry I just can't help it man....that was a classic repond haaaa...and you would think it should be apparent by now.
    well, its a simple solution to a simple question... why makes things so complicated when it is easily solved?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    765

    Default Re: Max Heights - Advise pls

    If you are asking about the small clip at the legs, I believe they are used to tighten the screws in case any screw come loose. So they won't help you in presetting some maximum height.

  10. #10
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: Max Heights - Advise pls

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    Ideally, you should always try to use the 3 legs to adjust whatever height you want and not resort to extending the center tube as it can compromise it's stability to not wobble especially if you have a heavy camera/lens combo.
    actually if you've read the TS question, he's trying to lower the max height, not extend it. so there's nothing about extending the center column
    eat. drink. shoot

  11. #11
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Max Heights - Advise pls

    Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post
    actually if you've read the TS question, he's trying to lower the max height, not extend it. so there's nothing about extending the center column
    hehe I know that part.I was talking in general and just being as detail about tripod usage in general since reading in between what he wrote that he is still alittle new to using a tripod. EG..that you do not need to extend all the legs in order to use it.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    124

    Default Re: Max Heights - Advise pls

    Thanks Zac, +evenstar & cantaresg, thanks for the clarification, esp on the use of the attached clip. Tot having able to preset max height can aid her in faster deployment. Guess I was thinking too much about the clip. Back to old paint markers I guess....

    >>>Sammy88, thanks. I learnt of the centre column issue some 20 yr ago, and also the fact that unlike some other human anatomy, tripod need not to be fully extended to be of good use. (Hope u can take joke as well as giving them).

    dan
    1Ds Mk III / EF 16-35 f2.8L II / EF 24-70 f2.8L / EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II / EF 85 f1.2L II

  13. #13
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Max Heights - Advise pls

    Quote Originally Posted by danmic View Post
    Thanks Zac, +evenstar & cantaresg, thanks for the clarification, esp on the use of the attached clip. Tot having able to preset max height can aid her in faster deployment. Guess I was thinking too much about the clip. Back to old paint markers I guess....

    >>>Sammy88, thanks. I learnt of the centre column issue some 20 yr ago, and also the fact that unlike some other human anatomy, tripod need not to be fully extended to be of good use. (Hope u can take joke as well as giving them).

    dan

    I take as good as I give it out lah ...no problem man. heheh

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default Re: Max Heights - Advise pls

    maybe use some thick rubber bands to tie the centre column, so that it can't be raised to the full height?

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    124

    Default Re: Max Heights - Advise pls

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    I take as good as I give it out lah ...no problem man. heheh
    Good on you. Cheers!

    dan
    1Ds Mk III / EF 16-35 f2.8L II / EF 24-70 f2.8L / EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II / EF 85 f1.2L II

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    124

    Default Re: Max Heights - Advise pls

    Quote Originally Posted by mpenza View Post
    maybe use some thick rubber bands to tie the centre column, so that it can't be raised to the full height?
    Quite embarrassing actually, that without the centre column, the fully extended tripod, with the ball head and the camera, already exceeded the eye level... so will always have to deploy with the legs not fully stretch unless firing upward, thus thinking of means to preset....

    Anyway, thanks ppl for the clarification.

    dan
    Last edited by danmic; 27th August 2007 at 09:56 PM.
    1Ds Mk III / EF 16-35 f2.8L II / EF 24-70 f2.8L / EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II / EF 85 f1.2L II

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Max Heights - Advise pls

    Quote Originally Posted by danmic View Post
    Quite embarrassing actually, that without the centre column, the fully extended tripod, with the ball head and the camera, already exceeded the eye level... so will always have to deploy with the legs not fully stretch unless firing upward, thus thinking of means to preset....

    Anyway, thanks ppl for the clarification.

    dan
    maybe its time to downgrade your tripod... from the height you are saying, it seems that you are using 055 series... maybe time to get 190

  18. #18

    Default Re: Max Heights - Advise pls

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    maybe its time to downgrade your tripod... from the height you are saying, it seems that you are using 055 series... maybe time to get 190
    Finally a spot on answer, wrong tripod spec for the wife's height. Other than changing the whole tripod, dont extend the legs fully is the only solution.

    TS, by not fully extending the tripod's legs, or should i say, different heights in the 3 legs, u risk loosing stability which might cause your gears to crash into the floor if u r not careful.

    Just get another 190 series, its not that ex, and lighter at the same time.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    124

    Default Re: Max Heights - Advise pls

    Quote Originally Posted by silvergetz View Post
    Finally a spot on answer, wrong tripod spec for the wife's height. Other than changing the whole tripod, dont extend the legs fully is the only solution.

    TS, by not fully extending the tripod's legs, or should i say, different heights in the 3 legs, u risk loosing stability which might cause your gears to crash into the floor if u r not careful.

    Just get another 190 series, its not that ex, and lighter at the same time.
    Tat's exactly my concern. Guess I'll have to keep the 055XB for myself, and get her a 190 series as recommended.

    Cheers, mate.

    dan
    1Ds Mk III / EF 16-35 f2.8L II / EF 24-70 f2.8L / EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II / EF 85 f1.2L II

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •