Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Brera Q4 vs R32

  1. #1
    Member LeoDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    438

    Default Cars - Brera Q4 vs R32

    Hi all.. Just done my 1st proper car shoot.

    After weeks of waiting.. it rained!

    Anyway, got some 'wet' shots (yes.. camera got wet.. but still alive) and have selected this for C&C.

    Camera: D80 + Kit lens
    Focal length: 18mm
    F#: F/10
    Exposure: 1/30
    ISO:100



    This foto, i wanted to create an exciting yet dreamy effect (dreamy coz only in my dreams i can afford these cars.. ).

    I over exposed sky and ground to keep focus on 'charging' front of both subjects, kept grass and green wall 'leading' across the frame to create a sense of space.

    I also kept road surface details in front of both cars to reinforce sense of momentum (dun wan ppl to think this is static shot).

    Ok, I know the wiper blades were up.. its up coz it was raining and its kinda difficult to catch the exact timing when wiper of both cars are down.

    Need C&C on the following:

    General impression
    Composition
    DI effect

    Any other comments most welcome!

    Come.. Fire way!!
    Last edited by LeoDaddy; 25th August 2007 at 11:39 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Brera Q4 vs R32

    it would be much better if it had blue skies and not so white. i can hardly see the roof of the 1st car.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Brera Q4 vs R32

    1) I don't know, I like the effect but the positioning of the cars is just.. Weird. Have no idea how to arrange 2 cars though
    2) Might want to PP away the car plate numbers =D
    3) PP wise, the colour of the white is not quite white. More like grey, if you could make it whiter would be better
    4) Very nice idea though, and maybe don't overexpose the first car's roof so badly like deckard has said. A bit is ok, I think

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    2,703

    Default Re: Brera Q4 vs R32

    Hardly see any car shots here so first of all kudos to you for a nice try. The 'speed' and sense of motion of the rain drops do add some action in your shots thou I thot this would be more pronounced if you had not over-exposed your pic... My other comment is that your right crop is way to tight for my liking as well...
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

  5. #5
    Member LeoDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    438

    Default Re: Brera Q4 vs R32

    Quote Originally Posted by deckard View Post
    it would be much better if it had blue skies and not so white. i can hardly see the roof of the 1st car.
    Hi.. thanks for your comment!

    The actual sky was not blue coz it was raining.

    As for car over exposed, I tot it kinda make the shot special. But of coz I'm not sure if this is good idea thats why I put this up for C&C.
    Last edited by LeoDaddy; 25th August 2007 at 03:03 PM.

  6. #6
    Member LeoDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    438

    Default Re: Brera Q4 vs R32

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    1) I don't know, I like the effect but the positioning of the cars is just.. Weird. Have no idea how to arrange 2 cars though
    2) Might want to PP away the car plate numbers =D
    3) PP wise, the colour of the white is not quite white. More like grey, if you could make it whiter would be better
    4) Very nice idea though, and maybe don't overexpose the first car's roof so badly like deckard has said. A bit is ok, I think
    Thanks Nightmare!

    The car plate is ok.. these are showroom cars..

    Yes, its not white.. I tone down brightness just before i post. I was afraid its too bright.. see already eye pain... need sunglasses.. (okie.. will adjust brightness again)

    So looks like most ppl dun like the exposure. I think I may have overdone it.

  7. #7
    Member LeoDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    438

    Default Re: Brera Q4 vs R32

    Quote Originally Posted by yehosaphat View Post
    Hardly see any car shots here so first of all kudos to you for a nice try. The 'speed' and sense of motion of the rain drops do add some action in your shots thou I thot this would be more pronounced if you had not over-exposed your pic... My other comment is that your right crop is way to tight for my liking as well...
    Hey.. thanks for your comment!

    I'm new to this (photography as a whole) and I'm not sure if my 'style' is acceptable.. I have frens telling me I need to focus on car more.. too much sky etc. But i feel if the photo is too 'perfect' it does not bring out the action part so well.. As such, I was thinking maybe the overexposed car roof and tight crop (super tight on one side and open on the other side) will work ok. But seems its not very popular..

  8. #8
    Member LeoDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    438

    Default Re: Brera Q4 vs R32

    C&C.. come.. keep them coming.. Thx!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,256

    Default Re: Cars - Brera Q4 vs R32

    the background is very nice and creamy, perfect for portraits

    the picture can be improved on if you had preserved some highlights as per the vehicles roof and some of the regions of it..so that the vehicles look a bit more complete

    the volks is a little close to the right, a bit more space would be nice

    one of the techniques for subject isolation in a photo like this, more relevantly would be isolating the vehicles by contrast, if the cars remained a bit more boldly blue, more contrasty than like a smooth transition from the background in this case, it will give the picture a different feel :P subject is a little creamy here

    another way of making the subject standout is to sharpen only the subject subtlely as though it snaps into focus all of a sudden from the background.. i use this a lot but some people dont like my over-sharpened subjects

    the element of speed in your picture comes from the reflections of the wet road of the patch infront of both cars.. pretty nicely done

    the green wall is definitely a very good choice as a leading line in your picture, but a bit smooth :P

    but all in all, this is a very interesting shot, very different from that of all other usual car pictures, i.e. panned/rigged etc
    chezburgr i can haz?

  10. #10
    Member LeoDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    438

    Default Re: Cars - Brera Q4 vs R32

    Quote Originally Posted by psychobiologist View Post
    the background is very nice and creamy, perfect for portraits

    the picture can be improved on if you had preserved some highlights as per the vehicles roof and some of the regions of it..so that the vehicles look a bit more complete

    the volks is a little close to the right, a bit more space would be nice

    one of the techniques for subject isolation in a photo like this, more relevantly would be isolating the vehicles by contrast, if the cars remained a bit more boldly blue, more contrasty than like a smooth transition from the background in this case, it will give the picture a different feel :P subject is a little creamy here

    another way of making the subject standout is to sharpen only the subject subtlely as though it snaps into focus all of a sudden from the background.. i use this a lot but some people dont like my over-sharpened subjects

    the element of speed in your picture comes from the reflections of the wet road of the patch infront of both cars.. pretty nicely done

    the green wall is definitely a very good choice as a leading line in your picture, but a bit smooth :P

    but all in all, this is a very interesting shot, very different from that of all other usual car pictures, i.e. panned/rigged etc

    Thanks for your comments psychobiologist! But I'm not sure what u mean by wall a bit smooth.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,256

    Default Re: Cars - Brera Q4 vs R32

    just got home.. let me do a bit of PS work to show you what i meant brb
    chezburgr i can haz?

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,256

    Default Re: Cars - Brera Q4 vs R32

    chezburgr i can haz?

  13. #13

    Default Re: Cars - Brera Q4 vs R32

    Quote Originally Posted by psychobiologist View Post

  14. #14
    Member LeoDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    438

    Default Re: Brera Q4 vs R32

    WOW!! I've got to try that! Thanks!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •