Thread: Blurry Pictures

Default Blurry Pictures

Hi, I just got myself a E500. I was wondering something. Everytime when I take a picture in the day or night without flash, the pictures turn out blurry but when I took it with flash, it seems sharp. Why is this so? Is it because my hands are too shaky? I tried to control but still can't.

Is it got to do with 'anti-shake' technology? Most of the pictures here are shot so nicely and I doubt they use tripods.

Default Re: Blurry Pictures

What mode are you using?
    Probably auto or an assisted mode?

When you take the picture in the day, where is it taken? Indoors or outdoors? Outdoors shouldn't make a difference with or without flash.

WHy the pictures are blurry - your camera is probably giving you a long shutter speed, thereby allowing handshake to affect the picture.
    When using flash, your camera will reduce the shutter speed automatically, thereby reducing handshake effect. It all depends on what sort of shutter speed the cam is giving you, if you can post the examples of pictures whereby there is blur with EXIF info intact and examples of picture whereby there is no blur with flash with EXIF info intact, we can tell you better.

Nothing to do with anti-shake. E500 does not have anti-shake, so it doesn't apply.

And when there is low light, best to use tripod. A lot of people here have tripod fetish, don't for a moment doubt that tripod was used hor.

Night blurriness is common as the shutter will be exposed longer. With the flash, because there is enough light, the camera will be able to have a shorter shutter time hence reducing this "blurriness".

However, daytime outdoor shots shouldn't have this prob. Try shooting some scenery shots in daylight. If the blurriness still occurs, first check if the camera AUTOFOCUS is set to ON. Otherwise, think something is wrong with your set....u'd need to send in for repair, if necesary.

Best to post a photo with EXIF info... You might be shooting at too low of a shutter speed.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholasoh View Post
    Hi, I just got myself a E500. I was wondering something. Everytime when I take a picture in the day or night without flash, the pictures turn out blurry but when I took it with flash, it seems sharp. Why is this so? Is it because my hands are too shaky? I tried to control but still can't.

Is it got to do with 'anti-shake' technology? Most of the pictures here are shot so nicely and I doubt they use tripods.
    I guess your shutter speed is too low for your handholding comfort. You'd need to practise a lil more before you're able to handhold well at low shutter speeds. Anything lower than 1/60 can cause movement blur in your pictures. For flash photography, normally the camera will be set at a minimum of 1/60 or 1/125 to sync with the flash.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site