Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 31 of 31

Thread: Canon 400D vs Nikon 40x vs Nikon D80

  1. #21
    Member BlueBull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    912

    Default Re: Canon 400D vs Nikon 40x vs Nikon D80

    Quote Originally Posted by blaQink View Post
    Hi Guys,
    Thanks for all the advice! Walked into a shop yesterday at centrepoint and got my hands on a D40x and D80... agreed wif suggestions here dat i really need 2 feel the physical ting in my hands 2 have an idea wad would suit me!!! thanks 4 the wonderful piece of advice!!!

    the D80 feels comfy in my hands but kind of heavy, while I like the weight of D40x, its feels tiny in my hands (i got big hands)!!!

    So I'm in 2 minds... further I suppose lenses would also affect my decision as the D40x comes with 18-55 kit lens ($1300) while the D80 comes with 18-135 ($1900), and if i add a 55-200 lens ($450), then it acutally cost about the same.

    i din have the chance to check out the canon 400D yesterday, but i suppose i would be even more after dat??!!
    So eventually what did you buy?
    Nikanon D3FXMarkIIIDS-1H with 5000mm f/128 & 0.500mm Macro f/0.4 & 0.70-2000mm f/256

  2. #22

    Default Re: Canon 400D vs Nikon 40x vs Nikon D80

    The 400D is also a pretty small cam...

    Have you thought of testing the other brands if you can't find something that's comfy amongst your 3 choices?
    Alpha

  3. #23

    Default Re: Canon 400D vs Nikon 40x vs Nikon D80

    I think the TS should have gotten his toy by now. If not, with a budget of 2k, can also try the Sony A100. Substantial enough grip, not too intimidating, and with added stabiliser could be a deal maker. Personally just don't like the sound of shutter, which is a little too loud.
    from guitars, cars to dslr...

  4. #24
    Member MarkTan89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Boon Keng
    Posts
    591

    Default Re: Canon 400D vs Nikon 40x vs Nikon D80

    Quote Originally Posted by helmiz View Post
    If you looking at Nikon, D40 should be fine. With your budget, you can get many other items as well.
    This would be a good review for your dilemma:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Nx9tIpAd_NM

  5. #25

    Default Re: Canon 400D vs Nikon 40x vs Nikon D80

    no matter which camera you mention above will still serve the purpose of photography.
    it is all depends on what do you want from photography? General purpose? Point and shoot?
    Get the D40X or 400D (although I think 400D has the worse handling among the 3.)
    But If you are really into photography, get D80 and try your very best to learn how to take good photograph using manual mode, understand different lens has their different usage and unique character... (D40 / D40x can only use lenses that with motor installed).

    Photography is about the person behind the camera and his 3rd eye.
    I don't agree with those person who advise you: "got money then go for D300 lor..."
    It is a waste if you don't know how to fully utilize it.

    A yashika point and shoot camera can also produce good photographs.
    Buy a expensive camera doesn't mean that you will become a better photographer.

    My choice will goes to D80, if you want to discover more abt photography.
    Get the D40X if you just want to take photographs for general usage.

  6. #26

    Default Re: Canon 400D vs Nikon 40x vs Nikon D80

    Quote Originally Posted by wizaro View Post
    no matter which camera you mention above will still serve the purpose of photography.
    it is all depends on what do you want from photography? General purpose? Point and shoot?
    Get the D40X or 400D (although I think 400D has the worse handling among the 3.)
    But If you are really into photography, get D80 and try your very best to learn how to take good photograph using manual mode, understand different lens has their different usage and unique character... (D40 / D40x can only use lenses that with motor installed).

    Photography is about the person behind the camera and his 3rd eye.
    I don't agree with those person who advise you: "got money then go for D300 lor..."
    It is a waste if you don't know how to fully utilize it.

    A yashika point and shoot camera can also produce good photographs.
    Buy a expensive camera doesn't mean that you will become a better photographer.

    My choice will goes to D80, if you want to discover more abt photography.
    Get the D40X if you just want to take photographs for general usage.
    I'm a D40x user, and I use it for serious learning about photography. I use AF-D lens on my D40x, that is, it forces me to learn Manual Focus, apart from using the Manual Exposure setting of Shutter speed and Aperture size. That's when my eyes start to take note of composition and area of focus, focusing distance, focusing lengths, etc. I don't use D40x for general usage. In fact, even a prosumer camera with Manual, shutter priority & aperture priority modes can let its owner learn about photography.

    My opinion is, choose 1 camera that you like and you are comfortable with, and then learn through books, magazines, forums, and most importantly, TRIAL & ERROR.
    Light is His, Exposure is mine, Interpretation is yours.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Canon 400D vs Nikon 40x vs Nikon D80

    Quote Originally Posted by miraiyuki View Post
    I'm a D40x user, and I use it for serious learning about photography. I use AF-D lens on my D40x, that is, it forces me to learn Manual Focus, apart from using the Manual Exposure setting of Shutter speed and Aperture size. That's when my eyes start to take note of composition and area of focus, focusing distance, focusing lengths, etc. I don't use D40x for general usage. In fact, even a prosumer camera with Manual, shutter priority & aperture priority modes can let its owner learn about photography.

    My opinion is, choose 1 camera that you like and you are comfortable with, and then learn through books, magazines, forums, and most importantly, TRIAL & ERROR.
    I am happy to know that u are erious learning about photography with your D40X.
    Some rich people they just enjoy the moment when they open up their new purchased "flagship" model DSLR.

    I agree with you, you still can use D40 to explore in photography (as I said, even a normal camera can produce good photograph too) But to compare D40 / D40X to D80, obviously D80 is a better camera in terms of hardware spec.

    I really impress by how u force urself to use AF-D lens to learn manual focus on D40X body.
    But it you don't mind, try take few rolls of negative or fujichrome on fully manual camera... without auto exposure, auto focus, white balance, auto exposure compensation, D-lighting...
    and count it yourself, how many shots are bad, how many are good...
    you will know how we can't live without DSLR. (and how far we still need to learn in photography)

    Cheers

  8. #28

    Default Re: Canon 400D vs Nikon 40x vs Nikon D80

    400D will be replaced by a new model come march 08. Probably a EOS-500D.
    Name not sure, but replacement quite sure of it as Canon's DSLR always has a 1-1/2 years life span except top end models.
    Something for you to consider of.

  9. #29
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: Canon 400D vs Nikon 40x vs Nikon D80

    Quote Originally Posted by blaQink View Post
    So I'm in 2 minds... further I suppose lenses would also affect my decision as the D40x comes with 18-55 kit lens ($1300) while the D80 comes with 18-135 ($1900), and if i add a 55-200 lens ($450), then it acutally cost about the same.
    i suggest go for d40x+kit lens, get a good tripod (meaning not carbon fiber cause $$$$) with good head (CP give good advice, just tell them your setup) and a flash gun.

    or you can go for pentax body (it comes with anti shake build in, big saving in lens with VR or IS for your future upgrade) plus kit lens, tripod c/w head and flash.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  10. #30
    Member MarkTan89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Boon Keng
    Posts
    591

    Default Re: Canon 400D vs Nikon 40x vs Nikon D80

    Ever considered the Sony Alpha A100 w/ dual lens for about S$1400 ? There's the offer at Sony right now. Comes with a 18-70mm and a 75-300mm lens. Good coverage I'd say. And the Sony offers anti-dust and anti-shake not to mention, its Highly Recommended by dpreview and Which Digital Camera Magazine (won the December shootout of 10mp dSLRs).

  11. #31
    Member BlueBull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    912

    Default Re: Canon 400D vs Nikon 40x vs Nikon D80

    Just came back from Japan last night.

    Saw a Canon Kiss Lite that looks like a 400D there.
    Nikanon D3FXMarkIIIDS-1H with 5000mm f/128 & 0.500mm Macro f/0.4 & 0.70-2000mm f/256

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •