Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EveRywhere Pay

Default Re: EveRywhere Pay

Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg View Post
    No one is answering for free stuff but seriously check out the jam at 6.30am... does it solve anything?

Its a no win situation.

You drive, you pay ERP till your nose bleed. Hey 100 over bucks a month is not a small amount too. You dont want to pay ERP, you end up going to work and reaching there before 730am when you start work at 9am and leaving for home at 10 to 11pm. Seriously... is that the way to live?

You dont drive, you get squashed into public transport like sardines. Literally back to back with passenger next to you. Just check out buses and MRTs from 5.30 to 9pm. and 6am to 9am.

It is not about the paying and paying, it is about paying and paying and things still remain as shitty as before. SIgh but what to do.... no matter what we say, we are labelled whiners and our govt just tell us you must pay and pay more and give you a thousand and one reasons why you must pay and pay.

I sincerely implore our leaders to take public transport like us for once and drive their cars in peak hours without their motorcade to clear traffic and also to pretend their pay is not 5 digit where 100 over dollars each month is peanuts to them but the average pay of 2 to 3 thousand dollars which is used to feed family, pay bills, insurance etc. And understand that we are suffering from the never ending price hikes ever since the last election in which we renewed their mandate to rule. We are really really suffering....
    you write very well. you should consider being a writer.

No one is answering for free stuff but seriously check out the jam at 6.30am... does it solve anything?

Its a no win situation.

You drive, you pay ERP till your nose bleed. Hey 100 over bucks a month is not a small amount too. You dont want to pay ERP, you end up going to work and reaching there before 730am when you start work at 9am and leaving for home at 10 to 11pm.
    Seriously... is that the way to live?
    You dont drive, you get squashed into public transport like sardines. Literally back to back with passenger next to you. Just check out buses and MRTs from 5.30 to 9pm. and 6am to 9am.

It is not about the paying and paying, it is about paying and paying and things still remain as shitty as before. SIgh but what to do.... no matter what we say, we are labelled whiners and our govt just tell us you must pay and pay more and give you a thousand and one reasons why you must pay and pay.

I sincerely implore our leaders to take public transport like us for once and drive their cars in peak hours without their motorcade to clear traffic and also to pretend their pay is not 5 digit where 100 over dollars each month is peanuts to them but the average pay of 2 to 3 thousand dollars which is used to feed family, pay bills, insurance etc. And understand that we are suffering from the never ending price hikes ever since the last election in which we renewed their mandate to rule. We are really really suffering....
    I couldn't have said this better.

The question in BOLD RED color is what I ask myself every day.
    Is this what is progress ? Is this how life is supposed to be lived ? Where money takes precedence over everything else ? When its more expensive to live this life. Are we supposed to be so caught up in this web that there is no way out ? If I choose not to run this rat race, do I have a choice to slow down and go away some place in some corner of Singapore where I can live on a dollar a day ? NO. The answer is there is NO place you can go, you cannot slow down in life. You have to keep running, whether you like it or not. Just keep running and running and hope that you die peacefully along the way without falling sick. Because if you fall sick, then God save you. Nobody else can.

And can you imagine the plight of those people who attempt to end their lives ? Does anyone know how much courage its needed to end your life ? Try standing on the roof of a 50m high building at the edge and look down. It will scare the living sh*t out of you. People crack jokes at a person who jumped onto an MRT track to end his/her life. Can you even imagine for a single f**kin second what that person might have gone through that he/she took that drastic step ?

It is indeed very depressing. Seriously. No jokes this time.
    Sorry, I got sidetracked from this freaking ERP issue. But I really had to take this out of my system.

I am staying away from Kopitiam for few days.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt....

Quote Originally Posted by deckard View Post
    you write very well. you should consider being a writer.
    I just want our leaders to hear our pleas. I often wonder have they lost touch with the man on the ground and just depend on statisics and figures presented to them by their secretaries? Honestly I do admit we can be quite whiney at times but there has to be a reason for many things and feelings that are being expressed. And I wonder do our leaders ever wonder why? Or they just dismiss them as whining. Examples?

1) Vote for me and get HDB upgrading offer during elections
    Year after year this trick is used, however year after year it fails.... instead more vote for the opposition instead. Think about it, there has to be a reason why citizens are not taking up the upgrading offer. Also are these citizens staying in opposition wards not Singaporeans and they must be "punished" for voting for the opposition party??

2) ERP increases
    There are so many gantries to the point some of them are an insult to our intelligence. Two classic ones. One is the double gantry at Dohby Ghaut and Hotel Rendevous. Why on earth am I paying double ERP for a less than 100m stretch of road?? Has anyone ever thought about it? Second one, at Braddell, I have to pay ERP to exit the CTE and enter Braddell road, a non CBD area??? Why on earth is there an ERP there? Are we being "fined" for going home??

3) GST hikes and its effect on prices
    The GST hikes leading to price increase is a no brainer but yet reports show that very few people have increased prices together with inteviews of selected hawkers saying they wont increase price. However why are we on the ground seeing lots of increases and heavy increases. When we ask for reasons, we get silence.

Listen to our pleas please.....

I can understand your suffering but with all respect, dun dream too much.

We are all statistics. Not much more. As long as the economy goes, you, me, anybody can be written off. Same all over the world.

But be assured that your gov is looking at everything and all could come in due time. Rememrber the huge debate about the integrated resort. Well, it came at the point they needed it to supply employment and bring some money in the economy.

But I agree that the communication of explaining that it will help to ease the traffic is really not making much sense. The covering of KPE cost is !

I will not enter a political discussion here as it is a red dot rule. Too bad cos I would be pleased to share views and discuss with others

Oh well, I guess I am dumb.

Any one else dumb here?

I just want our leaders to hear our pleas. I often wonder have they lost touch with the man on the ground and just depend on statisics and figures presented to them by their secretaries? Honestly I do admit we can be quite whiney at times but there has to be a reason for many things and feelings that are being expressed. And I wonder do our leaders ever wonder why? Or they just dismiss them as whining. Examples?

1) Vote for me and get HDB upgrading offer during elections
    Year after year this trick is used, however year after year it fails.... instead more vote for the opposition instead. Think about it, there has to be a reason why citizens are not taking up the upgrading offer. Also are these citizens staying in opposition wards not Singaporeans and they must be "punished" for voting for the opposition party??

2) ERP increases
    There are so many gantries to the point some of them are an insult to our intelligence. Two classic ones. One is the double gantry at Dohby Ghaut and Hotel Rendevous. Why on earth am I paying double ERP for a less than 100m stretch of road?? Has anyone ever thought about it? Second one, at Braddell, I have to pay ERP to exit the CTE and enter Braddell road, a non CBD area??? Why on earth is there an ERP there? Are we being "fined" for going home??

3) GST hikes and its effect on prices
    The GST hikes leading to price increase is a no brainer but yet reports show that very few people have increased prices together with inteviews of selected hawkers saying they wont increase price. However why are we on the ground seeing lots of increases and heavy increases. When we ask for reasons, we get silence.

Listen to our pleas please.....
    Even if I do not agree with you, I will always fight for you to have your say.

Vote for PayAndPay. More to come...

to become Proud and prosperous

Quote Originally Posted by ghost77 View Post
    Vote for PayAndPay. More to come...

...and become Poorer And Poorer

Quote Originally Posted by Loupisk View Post
    to become Proud and prosperous

i waiting for the day that we are taxed by milege travelled...

I know what you mean but to take a reasonnable example in france and Italy, the highways are paid according to the mileage travelled. Just look at Malaysia, it is the same.

The difference, is that in France and Italy,they have alternative and slower network of roads for you to travel for free.

Their dot is bigger, what can you do?

Quote Originally Posted by westwest2 View Post
    i waiting for the day that we are taxed by milege travelled...
    Last edited by Loupisk; 24th August 2007 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Loupisk View Post
    I know what you mean but to take a reasonnable example in france and Italy, the highways are paid according to the mileage travelled. Just look at Malaysia, it is the same.

The difference, is that in France and Italy,they have alternative and slower network of roads for you to travel for free.

Their dot is bigger, what can you do?
    nono...i mean like rent cars and taxi...charged by distance travelled...i waiting for this to happen only...

Blog Entries

it should be

Every Road Pay

Blog Entries

Is the new gantry for evening ERP on the CTE
    only for traffic going to the PIE or do the drivers going to the CTE get zapped twice?

Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    i can see a vision of Singapore City planted full of "stick like" metallic structures called gantries.
    I don't think you will see this happening in the future. I've got a friend who did a Final year project for his degree in one of the local university for a road pricing system based on GPS some years back.

The proposed system is highly efficient and reduces lots of manpower and infrastructure to be built. In the future, all cars will be fitted with a GPS system(Differential GPS - this techique is darn accurate. Right to the millimeters) and one will be charged for every segment of road he travels. The segment of road can be pegged to a factor too.. for example.. crowded road is 20 times the price of a normal road. The only thing that stands in the way now of a full implementation is the infringement of human rights. As with this system, you can be tracked everywhere u go. Scary right?

Apparently zapped twice !

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    Is the new gantry for evening ERP on the CTE
    only for traffic going to the PIE or do the drivers going to the CTE get zapped twice?

Seriously, its no big deal.
    Please i IMPLORE..or whatever vocab you guys prefer... you guys to seriously put yourselves into the transport ministers shoes, instead of whining, why dont give some consrtuctive comments? yes indeed everywhere pay, but hey its the way of life, i am not sorry, i doubt the anyone's sorry and neither should you. i believe we need to pay more on other things in other countries? so move on, and perhaps give more constructive comments on how to improve the system. i believe transport guy would not chose to do this if he had a better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by seanlim View Post
    Please i IMPLORE..or whatever vocab you guys prefer... you guys to seriously put yourselves into the transport ministers shoes, instead of whining, why dont give some consrtuctive comments? yes indeed everywhere pay, but hey its the way of life, i am not sorry, i doubt the anyone's sorry and neither should you. i believe we need to pay more on other things in other countries? so move on, and perhaps give more constructive comments on how to improve the system. i believe transport guy would not chose to do this if he had a better choice.
    what are you doing here? no need to study for your exams already is it?

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    what are you doing here? no need to study for your exams already is it?
    paisehh! haha eikin so free and nice always on look out get me back to the books...urghnext wed and thursday prelims starting!

paisehh! haha eikin so free and nice always on look out get me back to the books...urghnext wed and thursday prelims starting!
    study harder, then get a job in MOT, then you can help solve problems

I agree with you that the LTA is doing a very good job.

But go and say to the lower income ppl that 150 bucks a month is no big deal.

To me is theiÁr communication that does not work. The facts shows that ERP is NOT a traffic problem solver. Specially if you let it on almost the entire day. They should stop saying that it will help the traffic. No one swallows that.

Now saying that it helps in funding projects like the KPE or other road improvements makes more sense.

I write neither in support or in criticism of the ERP expansion or price increase. It doesn't affect me much and frankly, in the big scheme of things, I think does very little to improve the competitiveness of the country. This is a micro-policy, aimed at some fine-tuning of rush hour traffic blah blah blah. As to whether it will be effective, I do not know and frankly have my doubts.

However;

What strikes me is how people tend to have short and selective memories. It is the stated aim of the MOT to rebalance the cost of car ownership, emphasising less on car ownership and shifting it to car usage. Hence the decrease in customs duties on cars and a slightly more liberal growth rate for car numbers. Some of you may remember the days of $80,000 COEs. A 1.6 Japanese Saloon cost my friend $128,000 in 1995. An equivalent model today would be not more than $75,000. Adjusted for inflation, that's a huge savings, enough to pay ERP for many lifetimes.

So if car numbers go up, logically so will traffic volume. We could choose to suffer the fate of Bangkok or Jakarta, or we could take some action to make things traffic flow at least 'moving' at peak hours.

Some perspective, Mayor Ken 'Red' Livingston of London, who is about as close as you can get to being a communist in a western democratic country, lauds the road pricing system and was tripping over himself to have it implemented in London. Prices are v.high, and set to rise. Doesn't that tell you something......

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast