Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: Japan Winter 2008

  1. #21

    Default Re: Japan Winter 2008

    thanx everyone for the suggestions! I haven't had the time to re-plan the itinerary yet but the info here are definitely gonna help. Have met up with the group and we would probably scrap the JR Pass as we are probably gonna rent cars to drive. Best mode of transport for birding in my opinion

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    526

    Default Re: Japan Winter 2008

    Quote Originally Posted by LingNightsky View Post
    thanx everyone for the suggestions! I haven't had the time to re-plan the itinerary yet but the info here are definitely gonna help. Have met up with the group and we would probably scrap the JR Pass as we are probably gonna rent cars to drive. Best mode of transport for birding in my opinion
    private transport certainly is the best mode of transport to get around hard to reach places in Japan but also be prepared for screw-ups as driving around Japan especially Hokkaido for the first time is highly susceptible to screw-ups, therefore, be sure to formulate backup plans for dire situations.... a friend of mine got lost and subsequently ran out of fuel whilst driving in Biei, without any idea where he exactly was and with no one in sight due to the remote nature of the area, he had been stranded out there in the freezing cold for almost an entire day.

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    810

    Default Re: Japan Winter 2008

    Don't worry about getting lost - there are GPS sets that you can rent with the car.

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    526

    Default Re: Japan Winter 2008

    Quote Originally Posted by syl View Post
    Don't worry about getting lost - there are GPS sets that you can rent with the car.
    wow, didnt know they have those now xD

    we had to refer to maps back then ahaha, it certainly would make driving around much easier then

  5. #25

    Default Re: Japan Winter 2008

    Quote Originally Posted by ReiszRie View Post
    wow, didnt know they have those now xD

    we had to refer to maps back then ahaha, it certainly would make driving around much easier then
    Errmmm when was "back then" ? even a few years back, I sat in a car with a GPS set with live traffic status/info datafeed over wireless/radio. And with building data that allowed 3D rendering of your current surroundings. That was for Tokyo but at the least they should have a 2D map with a flashing dot for the other parts of Japan . The Americans have had GPS navigation systems in their cars for at least 7 years back. Don't think the Japs would be far behind. It's almost impossible to get lost nowadays with in-car GPS systems (proper ones, not those HP PDA junk toys ).
    Last edited by leave; 9th September 2007 at 04:03 AM.

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    526

    Default Re: Japan Winter 2008

    Quote Originally Posted by leave View Post
    Errmmm when was "back then" ? even a few years back, I sat in a car with a GPS set with live traffic status/info datafeed over wireless/radio. And with building data that allowed 3D rendering of your current surroundings. That was for Tokyo but at the least they should have a 2D map with a flashing dot for the other parts of Japan . The Americans have had GPS navigation systems in their cars for at least 7 years back. Don't think the Japs would be far behind. It's almost impossible to get lost nowadays with in-car GPS systems (proper ones, not those HP PDA junk toys ).
    around 4 years back, not all cars come fitted with GPS systems and certainly not all car rental companies provide cars with GPS systems...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •