Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: keep our money, forced us to buy

Default Re: keep our money, forced us to buy

Think about it: in 15 - 20 yrs time, with better improvement in Medical Science, more people will be able to live over 100 yrs old. How many of you think that your kid (1 child family?) will support you? If you are 100 yrs old, your kid will be 70 yrs old if you have 1 child at 30 yrs old. If they are the only kid in their family, they will need to look after you and their in-laws too.

Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    You miss the point. Which is, why keep our money? It's OUR money.

No one here is petitioning the govt to give handouts for life. Or to support us in old age.
    As has been stated many many times, it is a RETIREMENT fund. It is your entitlement, with a view that the money be used for retirement. It is "your" money, but with conditions. Like a pension, it is your entitlement, but with conditions as to how early and how mcuh you can withdraw at any one time. Therefore, to suit that purpose, it must last the majority until the time they perish. How will it owrk if the minimum sum is low and the withdrawal age is so early? Surely as society changes, the policies need to be tweaked? This is the concept that escapes many people. It is a RETIREMENT fund, and the g-ment will not take the chance that you will use it in any other way. If you want to splurge, save up from your normal salary. If you can't splurge from your salary, then you probably shouldn't from your CPF.

This is the hard reality that many people just can't seem to face. If you are so desperate to get hold of your CPF money so early so that you can do something extravagant, or you were so needy you needed to tide things over, then you are already in big trouble. Your bigger problem will be what to do when it runs out at 75 and its even harder for you to earn an income. The easier problem is to continue in a job from 62 to 67 and build a nicer nest-egg, MUCH easier.

And you are wrong about the petitioning, just read through this thread and other related ones, count the number of times cases of the destitute are brought up. There are many here who are saying they should have the right to take the money early and spend any way they want. The unspoken part is that the expectation is for the g-ment to pick up the pieces when they eventually run out. Sure, you can say, "I won't blame the g-ment if I finish my CPF". But at age 75, with no food and being kicked out of your rental flat, you won't bring yourself to the "Meet the people" session and beg for welfare? People here claim to be realists. This is the reality, not some half-baked notion that somehow we can view the CPF withdrawal as some kind of windfall to be splurged and then damn the consequences.
    Last edited by dkw; 22nd August 2007 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deckard View Post
    Pay $1500 to $3000 to PRC students to flood our uni and drive our local students away.

Time to puke.

you really ought to straighten out your facts before you talk. all students, local or foreign, receive the $1500-$3000 stipend for their postgraduate research work in NUS. why don't you try doing it yourself and tell us instead of mindlessly blasting away?

deckard as i said please share with us what that one foreigner did to you to make you hate them all so much...so we can understand why you blast them here.

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    you really ought to straighten out your facts before you talk. all students, local or foreign, receive the $1500-$3000 stipend for their postgraduate research work in NUS. why don't you try doing it yourself and tell us instead of mindlessly blasting away?
    again, it is just to bring out the unfairness.

I do know that singaporeans do get that stipend also. hehe. BUT at least I am Singaporean.

In case, you don't know, and live in some ivory tower, many singaporeans do hate foreigners.
    shock shock horror horror...!!! haha....

many local students do hate foreign PRC students with their country bumpkin ways and strange language. many can't help it, it is part of being a singaporean student ok?? can or not? who I hate also cannot is it?

1. This is not about splurging. We just resent the goalposts being moved all the time.

2. No one here believes the govt will give free handouts to the destitute, else we wouldn't see old women collecting cans and cardboard boxes in Chinatown.

3. Your assertion of "unspoken" petitioning has no basis, precisely because no one has asked for it.

4. I think the majority of people believe that they can manage their own money by the time they reach their 50's and 60's. Hence the frustration that this govt believes otherwise. Where is your incontrovertible proof that people are incompetent to manage their own money?

This is just a sensationalist "justification" for a change of policy.

Quote Originally Posted by dkw View Post
    As has been stated many many times, it is a RETIREMENT fund. It is your entitlement, with a view that the money be used for retirement. It is "your" money, but with conditions. Like a pension, it is your entitlement, but with conditions as to how early and how mcuh you can withdraw at any one time. Therefore, to suit that purpose, it must last the majority until the time they perish. How will it owrk if the minimum sum is low and the withdrawal age is so early? Surely as society changes, the policies need to be tweaked? This is the concept that escapes many people. It is a RETIREMENT fund, and the g-ment will not take the chance that you will use it in any other way. If you want to splurge, save up from your normal salary. If you can't splurge from your salary, then you probably shouldn't from your CPF.

This is the hard reality that many people just can't seem to face. If you are so desperate to get hold of your CPF money so early so that you can do something extravagant, or you were so needy you needed to tide things over, then you are already in big trouble. Your bigger problem will be what to do when it runs out at 75 and its even harder for you to earn an income. The easier problem is to continue in a job from 62 to 67 and build a nicer nest-egg, MUCH easier.

And you are wrong about the petitioning, just read through this thread and other related ones, count the number of times cases of the destitute are brought up. There are many here who are saying they should have the right to take the money early and spend any way they want. The unspoken part is that the expectation is for the g-ment to pick up the pieces when they eventually run out. Sure, you can say, "I won't blame the g-ment if I finish my CPF". But at age 75, with no food and being kicked out of your rental flat, you won't bring yourself to the "Meet the people" session and beg for welfare? People here claim to be realists. This is the reality, not some half-baked notion that somehow we can view the CPF withdrawal as some kind of windfall to be splurged and then damn the consequences.
    Last edited by waileong; 22nd August 2007 at 12:09 PM.

I do know that singaporeans do get that stipend also. hehe. BUT at least I am Singaporean.

In case, you don't know, and live in some ivory tower, many singaporeans do hate foreigners.

many local students do hate foreign PRC students with their country bumpkin ways and strange language. many can't help it, it is part of being a singaporean student ok?? can or not? who I hate also cannot is it?
    of course you can hate anyone you want. in case you don't know the posting policy of this forum http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=63954

if you want to post racist remarks you should just excuse yourself from this forum.

Future generation living to the age of 100? Yeah, that is todays' urban legend.

Do science has the ability to make you young? Consider many of the illnesses that scientists do not even have a clue as to how to cure it. I am just hoping that they would just stop producing more chemical to poison our food & environment. I do not wish to live that long as what some optimist expected. What is the use of living that long when we are feeding on poison everyday, not much different from the laboratory mice!

Actually, the projection of human living longer is not unreliable. NObody can predict how long we shall live. The policy that government is considering is not foolproof. What if the majority live to an age of 70s? And some die younger. So the money you've worked so hard just sit in the government's fund, for no good reason at all; All due to a simple speculation that human are living a longer age.

I am amused by what human can think of.

r u a racist?
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

it just shows what a xenophob you are hating people who are different. you should remember at one point your ancestors also were considered country bumpkin here.

Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    it just shows what a xenophob you are hating people who are different. you should remember at one point your ancestors also were considered country bumpkin here.
    u're right.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Blog Entries

Exclamation Re: keep our money, forced us to buy

Thread closed for violation of guidelines. Please refrain from posting racist remarks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12