Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Price of photography service has been going down?

Default Re: Price of photography service has been going down?

i want to share this information...

i was "out" buying stock images for catalogue... and nowadays i see the 3d rendered images under the lifestyle section seems to be very very good.... and realistic too...

i bought 2 from a website for $5 each... and 1 cd from gettyimages.

den i used the 2 images for a series of catalog for client to choose... since its all about living rooms, he actually choose the 3d rendered one !! LMAO....

so.. theres market for 3D rendered images liao... for still life i mean....

but images like portraits and etc etc still the best...

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla Invades View Post
    No OT as this is part of business photography which we would like to share with those who have little or no experience.

Oh for the payment, I make my clientele and my life very simple. COD is my terms. So far all my contract is all drafted as such. You want fast photo results, I want fast money in return. I do not believe in credit terms.

I give them a good service with competitive rates and fast delivery. In return, I just want money to be given when goods are delivered. So, I do not have any bad credits. I use to give one month and then turn to 2 months and then became bad habit among them. So I only work with clients who accept COD.

Good policy...i do this COD too. No $, no tapes, no final product.
    It's just too painful and time consuming to be chasing for payment & keeping accounts.
    DXNMedia.net
    Post Production | Video Acquisition | Tape Transfers | Microwave RF Camera Services

That is why I mentioned only those who work our line will understand it. Public only sees it from their own point of view.
    No OT as this is part of business photography which we would like to share with those who have little or no experience.

Oh for the payment, I make my clientele and my life very simple. COD is my terms. So far all my contract is all drafted as such. You want fast photo results, I want fast money in return. I do not believe in credit terms.

I give them a good service with competitive rates and fast delivery. In return, I just want money to be given when goods are delivered. So, I do not have any bad credits. I use to give one month and then turn to 2 months and then became bad habit among them. So I only work with clients who accept COD.
    Quote Originally Posted by DXNMedia View Post
    Good policy...i do this COD too. No $, no tapes, no final product.
    It's just too painful and time consuming to be chasing for payment & keeping accounts.
    Yes(as highlighted in above mentioned), this have been my practice for abt 6yrs now and COD is my terms as well=>(coz b4 I "apply this concept", I rather often faced "mouse-rat-race" types of a/c" for abt 1-2yrs+which was freelancing then, from some clients, than after "things-happened", since then I'd applied it=COD+T&C-which I didn't when initially started out, coz newbie then mah)since then I've learned the "rope".
    Last edited by blueskye168; 24th August 2007 at 07:36 AM.
    Anything that can take pictures...happy already lor...(..but...Hasselblad_H5D-50 as my Workhorse)

Quote Originally Posted by blueskye168 View Post
    Yes(as highlighted in above mentioned), this have been my practice for abt 6yrs now and COD is my terms as well=>(coz b4 I "apply this concept", I rather often faced "mouse-rat-race" types of a/c" for abt 1-2yrs+which was freelancing then, from some clients, than after "things-happened", since then I'd applied it=COD+T&C-which I didn't when initially started out, coz newbie then mah)since then I've learned the "rope".
    For me, I learn the hard way too. Until now, I still have outstanding payments since 2004 (did not start the COD terms at that time yet). I only started my COD terms when I found irregular payments from some BIG names from clients. Small clients is better pay master even if the amount is big.

Those clients whom I use to have credits, I have either thrown them out to the sea or deal as COD terms.

For me, I learn the hard way too. Until now, I still have outstanding payments since 2004 (did not start the COD terms at that time yet). I only started my COD terms when I found irregular payments from some BIG names from clients. Small clients is better pay master even if the amount is big.

Those clients whom I use to have credits, I have either thrown them out to the sea or deal as COD terms.
    Well, me too and a few are way+way back to 199...something liao lor, hor... and these were known-as=>"Auto-Thrown-Out" to the seabut have tocoz no way to "chase back$$$$" liao one.

Btw, Big or small happened/encountered also but heng-ahh as most are able to recover=just have to wait longerthat's all.
    Anything that can take pictures...happy already lor...(..but...Hasselblad_H5D-50 as my Workhorse)

Quote Originally Posted by blueskye168 View Post
    Yes, I won't hesitate to agree coz I met(happened b4 ok, definitely more than 1-2 clients-&-to-be)saying/asking "what dslr & lenses good for shooting this kind of products)should I tell them in oder to clinched the deals or they'll finally buy & shoot their products themselves=dislike & hard to answer them coz answer right also pose a 'threat' (to own rice bowl) agree??

Also, one of a kind, there was(luckily once only=I mean 1 is more than enough loh!) 1 of my rather regular client who at one stage hire someone else and said to me "they're trying out 1st only" -well what can I say right- by all means lor right(at that very moment felt 'piss-off man, I tot liao liao-regular gone liao, but guess what, he came back to me & hahaha showing me complaining 'colours too yellowish + angle like not so nice' by that "CMI photghr" taken) from then till now I'm still their choice="heng-ahh or its skill that counts"(I'd a good laugh man, hahaha).
    It's the same even in the AD wedding market. Clients will push rices down to unreasonable prices to get your services saying so and so charge me so much only what.............

Took the "other" cheaper photographer only to realise it too late when the pictures of their wedding is not to what they expected or hoped. They quietly wished they should have paid the extra $$$ to get the professional service.

Well..............

Quote Originally Posted by jetfynn View Post
    It's the same even in the AD wedding market. Clients will push rices down to unreasonable prices to get your services saying so and so charge me so much only what.............

Took the "other" cheaper photographer only to realise it too late when the pictures of their wedding is not to what they expected or hoped. They quietly wished they should have paid the extra $$$ to get the professional service.

Well..............
    Hi jetfynn,

I empathise. I quoted your post just to make use of your client reaction. But the content of my post is not intended to target at you in particular ya?

It works both ways. I believe the market responds to the service providers. And if the majority of the market behaves by pushing prices down, my guess is the photographers servicing this particular market distinguishes themselves by prices. Or 'educate' client by prices.

For every client who says "so and so charge me so much only what",
    I believe there's at least one matching photographer who says
    "so and so charge you $XXX for XXX prints and albums? Nevermind, I charge you $50 cheaper"

As opposed to differentiating by any other means. Or investing time, effort and brains to think of how to convince the clients you worth what you charge (as in, other forms of client education)

So for photographers who lament about the market, you can either change the target market, or start re-examining business strategies and practices. It has to start somewhere, or the status will just be set to remain.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfynn View Post

Well..............
    Well, I'm "used-to-it" already coz not juz AD-wedding clients but others(trades/markets)too(as in "Magenta"=of hearing that)juz 4 days(Tues) ago I met my client who was recommended by/from my previous client-5yrs regular(for AD wedding on coming Nov) you know what? She said the same thing(as above) and this in fact is my 1st time saying/replying "may I know or can you refer me to him so that 'WE' will work out an even better package for you" Guess what.....Thurs and I've received their confirmation+deposits(as their Official=AD wedding on this Nov) tot "gone-case"liao but never expect the unexpected

Btw, (as in 'Red') sometimes thru cnoversations can sense that "'It' doesn't exist in the 1st place" kind-of-feel=maybe I/you're their 1st-photographer and this is juz ways to get a good price out of it. Have you ppl encounter this "feel"??
    Last edited by blueskye168; 9th September 2007 at 08:06 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123