Page 1 of 8 1236 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 151

Thread: Singapore wants older workers to continue working

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    454

    Default Singapore wants older workers to continue working

    When you reach 67 years old and someone ask you what do you anjoy in your golden age. Do you answer: "I enjoy working".
    Well, I personal think that we have been working since we came out from school and from the army. Should you be working at your golden age? Do you think that there is no other things better to do rather than work at your golden age?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    153

    Default Re: Singapore wants older workers to continue working

    unless the person is not working , but rather engage in the act of pursuing his dream.

  3. #3

    Smile Re: Singapore wants older workers to continue working

    the reality is retirement here is expensive. so, look elsewhere.

    Quote Originally Posted by ghost77 View Post
    When you reach 67 years old and someone ask you what do you anjoy in your golden age. Do you answer: "I enjoy working".
    Well, I personal think that we have been working since we came out from school and from the army. Should you be working at your golden age? Do you think that there is no other things better to do rather than work at your golden age?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Singapore wants older workers to continue working

    You can kiss your retirement goodbye in SG...

    But food for thoughts...

    What will you do when you retire anyway?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    454

    Default Re: Singapore wants older workers to continue working

    How much do you think is enough for the retirement? No expensive taste and just a simple life.

    Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003 View Post
    the reality is retirement here is expensive. so, look elsewhere.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Halfmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Singapore.
    Posts
    4,590

    Default Re: Singapore wants older workers to continue working

    If MM is still working at 80+.... do you dare to retire????

    SG too expensive..... CPF also harder to withdraw....
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    454

    Default Re: Singapore wants older workers to continue working

    So how long you intend to work? 67 years old or maybe as old as 80 years old by getting high pay or S$2/= per hour? Life sucks unless you enjoy working all the time.
    See now in the hawer center, those old folks clearing the plate...do you think they enjoy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    You can kiss your retirement goodbye in SG...

    But food for thoughts...

    What will you do when you retire anyway?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    454

    Default Re: Singapore wants older workers to continue working

    If I am getting that kind of pay every month and have a huge pay increased recently...I don't mind. I still get the chance to fly around and visit other country PM too. Of cos, I admit the MM has done a very good job in his whole life for Singapore.
    If you are 80+ and you are still clearing the table in the hawker center with maybe S$500/= per month pay?


    Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon View Post
    If MM is still working at 80+.... do you dare to retire????

    SG too expensive..... CPF also harder to withdraw....

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    CCK
    Posts
    1,051

    Default Re: Singapore wants older workers to continue working

    Quote Originally Posted by ghost77 View Post
    So how long you intend to work? 67 years old or maybe as old as 80 years old by getting high pay or S$2/= per hour? Life sucks unless you enjoy working all the time.
    See now in the hawer center, those old folks clearing the plate...do you think they enjoy.
    No, its no fun at all. One could wish that they could have children to help look after their needs and live out their old age in dignity. Alternatively they can go on welfare and draw from the income tax of the younger workers, which isn't much fun either. No easy choices, but all still better than going destitute.

    I am prepared to work till I perish, and that is a personal choice, hopefully eventually not driven by necessity.

  10. #10

    Smile Re: Singapore wants older workers to continue working

    gee! if only i know. honestly, i dare not think about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by ghost77 View Post
    How much do you think is enough for the retirement? No expensive taste and just a simple life.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Singapore wants older workers to continue working

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    What will you do when you retire anyway?
    You can become a Full-time Kopitiam Poster and P&P Critic.

  12. #12
    Senior Member yyD70S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,454

    Default Re: Singapore wants older workers to continue working

    One could be retrenched long before the old (55-yrs) retirement age.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Singapore wants older workers to continue working

    Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003 View Post
    the reality is retirement here is expensive. so, look elsewhere.
    CPF allows full withdrawal if migrate to other country.

    I guess we have to look at Vietnam, Laos or Cambodia etc

    Many young beauties there don't mind looking after a wealthy old man.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    454

    Default Re: Singapore wants older workers to continue working

    In fact, so am I. Few years back, we thought S$100,000 in cash plus the CPF for the retirement you have is enough. Now, I doubt it too. Things are getting more and more expensive. It never ends.
    Moreover, Singaporean are rich in the asset but very very poor in cash. Hope I am wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003 View Post
    gee! if only i know. honestly, i dare not think about it.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Singapore wants older workers to continue working

    Continue working? Hmm.... I don't really mind.

    It sure beats waking up, shuffle my feet to the void deck stare at the sky from 0800H - 1700H, go home eat dinner, sleep and repeat this routine until I croak.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    454

    Default Re: Singapore wants older workers to continue working

    Many young beauties there don't mind looking after a wealthy old man???
    That's what happened to all the old men here now. Some of them are cheated by the young beauties.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    CPF allows full withdrawal if migrate to other country.

    I guess we have to look at Vietnam, Laos or Cambodia etc

    Many young beauties there don't mind looking after a wealthy old man.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    454

    Default Re: Singapore wants older workers to continue working

    Any other better option beside work?

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    Continue working? Hmm.... I don't really mind.

    It sure beats waking up, shuffle my feet to the void deck stare at the sky from 0800H - 1700H, go home eat dinner, sleep and repeat this routine until I croak.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Singapore wants older workers to continue working

    Quote Originally Posted by ghost77 View Post
    In fact, so am I. Few years back, we thought S$100,000 in cash plus the CPF for the retirement you have is enough. Now, I doubt it too. Things are getting more and more expensive. It never ends.
    Moreover, Singaporean are rich in the asset but very very poor in cash. Hope I am wrong.
    U are not wrong.

    Young couples when they get married what they do?
    1) Buy flat (based on current market estimate - 1/4mil)
    2) Buy car (based on an average car price - $50K)

    Now u tell me if we are all asset rich, cash poor? Its time to break out of this mentality I guess.

    Stay? Can stay with parents.
    Buy car? Forget it, juz take public transport. Hell, even taking cab everyday to-&-from work is cheaper than buying a car by abt $200.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Singapore wants older workers to continue working

    Quote Originally Posted by ghost77 View Post
    Any other better option beside work?
    Grow vegetables? Its also a form of work.

    Seriously, I'm not sure what other alternatives there is besides work to keep ur brain working. I'll become senile if I were to stop working I feel. Just 2wks of ICT last time is enuff to turn me into a brain-dead zombie for a month after my ICT.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    454

    Default Re: Singapore wants older workers to continue working

    When do they learn the lesson?

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    U are not wrong.

    Young couples when they get married what they do?
    1) Buy flat (based on current market estimate - 1/4mil)
    2) Buy car (based on an average car price - $50K)

    Now u tell me if we are all asset rich, cash poor? Its time to break out of this mentality I guess.

    Stay? Can stay with parents.
    Buy car? Forget it, juz take public transport. Hell, even taking cab everyday to-&-from work is cheaper than buying a car by abt $200.

Page 1 of 8 1236 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •