Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: Can headphones be repaired?

  1. #21

    Default Re: Can headphones be repaired?

    Quote Originally Posted by GmbH. View Post


    can tell u not from the industry...
    No I'm not, but I'm immersed enough to nitpick on such nitty gritties.. + - designation is technically for hot and cold signal for balanced connections. A headphone connection (L, R, Gnd) is unbalanced and even though the plug is the same, one should not use + - designation because the designation of the physical connections are T R and S. Simple reason being you could terminate the same connector with a phase invert, one side would be + - Gnd, the other would be - + Gnd.

    So I was just trying to say + - are designation for the electrical signal, T R and S are the designation of the physical connection. But like I mentioned before, I'm just nitpicking because it makes a difference from an electrical engineering point of view.

    T - blue (left)
    R - red (right)
    S - copper (gnd)

    is not the same as

    T - hot (+)
    R - cold (-)
    S - Gnd
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 22nd August 2007 at 06:25 PM.

  2. #22

    Default Re: Can headphones be repaired?

    gei gao meh?

    haiz....

    talk to any engineer & he will term it as a TRS.
    because by just saying a 1/4 in male jack is simply insufficient.

    yeah, TRS is balanced for pro audio.
    but for headphones, it is still unbalanced.
    whatever it is, it is the same physical 1/4in TRS male jack.

    nvm, anyway any good audio engineer would have the basic requirement hot so solder so that the signal will not be out of phase.

  3. #23

    Default Re: Can headphones be repaired?

    Quote Originally Posted by GmbH. View Post
    gei gao meh?

    haiz....

    talk to any engineer & he will term it as a TRS.
    because by just saying a 1/4 in male jack is simply insufficient.

    yeah, TRS is balanced for pro audio.
    but for headphones, it is still unbalanced.
    whatever it is, it is the same physical 1/4in TRS male jack.

    nvm, anyway any good audio engineer would have the basic requirement hot so solder so that the signal will not be out of phase.
    Yah lor.. because industry not just 1/4", still got Bantam/mini-Bantam connectors. Still they are all TRS type but won't fit each other. That's why I say, ignore me.. I'm just nitpicking.. hahaha..

  4. #24

    Default Re: Can headphones be repaired?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Yah lor.. because industry not just 1/4", still got Bantam/mini-Bantam connectors. Still they are all TRS type but won't fit each other. That's why I say, ignore me.. I'm just nitpicking.. hahaha..
    u really nitpicker man... heh...

    Bantam & mini-bantam dun need to mention lah.
    not related to this thread at all.

    seldom ppl use unless they use a patchbay system.

  5. #25

    Default Re: Can headphones be repaired?

    Quote Originally Posted by GmbH. View Post
    u really nitpicker man... heh...

    Bantam & mini-bantam dun need to mention lah.
    not related to this thread at all.

    seldom ppl use unless they use a patchbay system.
    Hahaha... okie okie... enough of my nonsense..

  6. #26
    Senior Member cichlid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    S'pore
    Posts
    5,060

    Default Re: Can headphones be repaired?

    Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    Bring back to Senn to get it done or try LHS electronincs at lv 2 Sim Lim Tower. Just buy a new 3.5mm plug from them and ask them to terminate it for u. About $8-$10. If I will u, i'll get the Neutrik L plugs.
    Thanks afbug, I got it done at LHS Electronic today ($8)

    [/IMG]

  7. #27
    Senior Member afbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Planet SG™
    Posts
    483

    Default Re: Can headphones be repaired?

    Quote Originally Posted by cichlid View Post
    Thanks afbug, I got it done at LHS Electronic today ($8)

    [/IMG]
    U are welcome. I tot the Neutriks L plugs look and sound better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •