View Poll Results: Who suffered from recent meltdown?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Got shares, stuck on my portfiolio and am stuck with a lot of paper value loss

    9 75.00%
  • Cut loss and now waiting to stay invested

    2 16.67%
  • Sold everything on the high and out

    1 8.33%
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1015181920
Results 381 to 394 of 394

Thread: Subprime issue in the financial markets and your shares

  1. #381
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: Subprime issue in the financial markets and your shares

    Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    STI today: 3,287.34

    where are you heading?????

    Canonised, do not use the normal method of "buying on dips and sell on recovery". Fundamentals has changed, the bigger consumer is going into recession based on the claims of slower growth whereas the truth is they are into very serious credit crisis.

    Stay out of market till October, focus on photography and your day job. and of cos... save money.
    Last edited by raincool2005; 14th January 2008 at 11:17 AM.

  2. #382
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: Subprime issue in the financial markets and your shares

    Jan. 14 (Bloomberg) -- An expected recession in the U.S. this year will curb economic growth in Asia excluding Japan, according to Goldman Sachs Group Inc., which reduced its forecasts for the region's expansion.

    The economies will grow 8.3 percent in 2008, down from an earlier estimate of 8.6 percent, Hong Kong-based economist Michael Buchanan said in a report today. Next year's growth will be 8.5 percent, compared with a prior prediction of 8.6 percent.

    Goldman Sachs last week joined Morgan Stanley and Merrill Lynch & Co. in forecasting that the world's largest economy will slip into recession this year for the first time since 2001 amid fallout from the subprime mortgage crisis. The U.S. is the biggest market for most of Asia's export-dependent economies.

    ``There could be a `tipping point' at which the U.S. slowdown has a more significant impact on Asia than before,'' Buchanan wrote. ``The further deterioration in the U.S. economy comes as Japan is also teetering on the edge of recession.''

    Goldman is predicting a 50 percent chance of a recession in Japan, the world's second-largest economy. It lowered its growth forecasts for all 10 Asian economies that it covered in the report, including reductions to China and India.

    East Asia's exports are forecast to climb 15.2 percent this year, after jumping 17.8 percent in 2007, the World Bank said in its Global Economic Prospects 2008 report released last week.

    The region is almost twice as reliant on exports as the rest of the world, with 60 percent of shipments abroad ultimately destined for the U.S., Europe and Japan.

    China will expand 10 percent this year, from an earlier forecast of 10.3 percent, Goldman predicted. It cut Indian's growth estimate to 7.8 percent from 8 percent.

    "Overall, these forecast reductions are meaningful but not disastrous,'' Buchanan said. ``The impact on currencies is in general likely to be contained, although equity markets could be in for more volatility.''

  3. #383

    Default Re: Subprime issue in the financial markets and your shares

    Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    Canonised, do not use the normal method of "buying on dips and sell on recovery". Fundamentals has changed, the bigger consumer is going into recession based on the claims of slower growth whereas the truth is they are into very serious credit crisis.

    Stay out of market till October, focus on photography and your day job. and of cos... save money.
    Good advice! .... went in a couple of Cosco @5-80 last week and today already 5-19 ....
    was about to get the SGX @ below 12 .... now already 10-88
    this time really bad, like Aug... guess have to wait till 3150..
    always the Light, .... always.

  4. #384
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: Subprime issue in the financial markets and your shares

    Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    Good advice! .... went in a couple of Cosco @5-80 last week and today already 5-19 ....
    was about to get the SGX @ below 12 .... now already 10-88
    this time really bad, like Aug... guess have to wait till 3150..
    Canonised, the biggest selldown is not now, this is just the first cold dish, the real big solid one is after Olympics games.


  5. #385

    Default Re: Subprime issue in the financial markets and your shares

    Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    Canonised, the biggest selldown is not now, this is just the first cold dish, the real big solid one is after Olympics games.

    haha ... guess it's healthier to concentrate on shooting models for now.....
    thought ALL the "experts" are expecting the STI to reach 4000 this year
    always the Light, .... always.

  6. #386
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: Subprime issue in the financial markets and your shares

    Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    haha ... guess it's healthier to concentrate on shooting models for now.....
    thought ALL the "experts" are expecting the STI to reach 4000 this year
    when most problems are solved, the recovery will be quick. Monitor the banks closely, u will be shocked that they will be so cheap... forget those small-medium caps.
    Last edited by raincool2005; 14th January 2008 at 04:16 PM.

  7. #387

    Default Re: Subprime issue in the financial markets and your shares

    Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    when most problems are solved, the recovery will be quick. Monitor the banks closely, u will be shocked that they will be so cheap... forget those small-medium caps.
    Waiting for the right moment to pick blue chip at a bargain price...

  8. #388
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: Subprime issue in the financial markets and your shares

    Quote Originally Posted by scanner View Post
    Waiting for the right moment to pick blue chip at a bargain price...
    remember do not rush in, just keep a constant lookout and watch the recession news.

    USA people has cut down on spending ; consumption down > inventories up > exports reduced

  9. #389

    Default Re: Subprime issue in the financial markets and your shares

    Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    remember do not rush in, just keep a constant lookout and watch the recession news.

    USA people has cut down on spending ; consumption down > inventories up > exports reduced
    currently 3195 ....
    3000 possible?
    always the Light, .... always.

  10. #390
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: Subprime issue in the financial markets and your shares

    Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    currently 3195 ....
    3000 possible?
    Canonised, below 3000 is likely in mid-term as fundamentals and outlook favoured more towards downside.

    what can u expect from a slowdown ? huge profits and earnings ? nah..
    Last edited by raincool2005; 15th January 2008 at 02:37 PM.

  11. #391

    Default Re: Subprime issue in the financial markets and your shares

    Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    Stay out of market till October, focus on photography and your day job. and of cos... save money.
    Listen to your advice and stayed away from the market BUT forgot about selling my 3 x Cosco @$5-80 Now hovering around $2-00 (lost a 1ds III)
    Should I cut losses (60%) or should i average out by throwing good money in?
    always the Light, .... always.

  12. #392

    Default Re: Subprime issue in the financial markets and your shares

    Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    Listen to your advice and stayed away from the market BUT forgot about selling my 3 x Cosco @$5-80 Now hovering around $2-00 (lost a 1ds III)
    Should I cut losses (60%) or should i average out by throwing good money in?
    Cosco difficult to predict now, but I believe market has not bottom up yet. More banks in US will collapse. Worse might come along when the US election is over/ or rather when Bush step down....

    However, by saying so, its is always better to look at mid to long term for your investment. Most importantly, you must have the holding power if you believe the one you invested have great potential.

  13. #393

    Default Re: Subprime issue in the financial markets and your shares

    See this thread, it started about a year ago. Read what was mentioned a year ago and see how it is unraveling now.

    Markets were never going up a year ago, won't possibly happen for the next few months, at least until November when the we know who the next US president will be.

  14. #394
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Subprime issue in the financial markets and your shares

    Markts everywhere bad news. Merill Lynch sold to BoA, Lehman Bros chapter11, AIG seeks Capital influx to avoid downgrade. What's next.

    ../azul123

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1015181920

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •