Thread: Zhang Yimou

Default Zhang Yimou

just watched Riding Alone For A Thousand Miles.... pretty good movie..real tear jerker and i would recommend it to anyone who's interested in slightly art house movies...quite a refreshing change from all of his action movies..this one deals more about the human emotions and relationships...

just wondering if anyone has other zhang yimou movies to recommend? i've got raise the red lantern but i haven't watched it yet..perhaps tonight.

Default Re: Zhang Yimou

the movie is great! was recommended to me by my chinese teacher in Beijing.
    his usual eye for cinematography and picture really shows well . The yunnan area shot is really beautiful.

i know! man..i really want to go to yunnan but my chinese cannot make it...o level d7, invigilator spoke to me in english for my chinese oral examination don't think i could go there on my own..need to find a friend who can speak chinese fluently..i'll pretend to be his or her mute cousin

Quote Originally Posted by agentmonkey View Post
    i know! man..i really want to go to yunnan but my chinese cannot make it...o level d7, invigilator spoke to me in english for my chinese oral examination don't think i could go there on my own..need to find a friend who can speak chinese fluently..i'll pretend to be his or her mute cousin
    u sponsor me, i go with u...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

haha..i would, if i was getting more than my ns spec pay!

just watched Riding Alone For A Thousand Miles.... pretty good movie..real tear jerker and i would recommend it to anyone who's interested in slightly art house movies...quite a refreshing change from all of his action movies..this one deals more about the human emotions and relationships...

just wondering if anyone has other zhang yimou movies to recommend? i've got raise the red lantern but i haven't watched it yet..perhaps tonight.
    have you seen The Road Home? that was quite a memorable piece of work i feel

i like ZYM's movies.......usually alot of meaning and values inscribed in his films.... but well, most of the younger generations won't understand let alone appreciate/accept.

anyhow, is this on cines now?

I love 'huo zhe'/Alive. One of the best movies ever and not overly dominated by style.

like his old movies more , like - ju dou and da hong deng long gao gao gua
    don't recently like his recent work though , too comercialize

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    have you seen The Road Home? that was quite a memorable piece of work i feel
    no i haven't...it was released a year or two ago though right? so far i've only managed to get riding alone for a thousand miles and raise the red lantern... is the road home available a laser flair?

Quote Originally Posted by plsoong View Post
    i like ZYM's movies.......usually alot of meaning and values inscribed in his films.... but well, most of the younger generations won't understand let alone appreciate/accept.

anyhow, is this on cines now?
    haha, bro, i belong to the younger generation! no it's not out in the cines...i uhh...well..got it through other means, if you get what i mean...i vaguely remember seeing it at laser flair though..could check it out there! well worth searching for
    Last edited by agentmonkey; 19th August 2007 at 09:32 AM.

no i haven't...it was released a year or two ago though right? so far i've only managed to get riding alone for a thousand miles and raise the red lantern... is the road home available a laser flair?
    what's ''a laser flair'' ?

no it was a 1999 film. chinese name is 我的父亲与母亲

zhang yimou made it as a response to Titanic, making a contrast between epic scale love story and a simple love story that comes from the countryside. very touching film, cinematographically speaking not very adventurous, but beautiful and the story well told.