Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10151819202122 LastLast

Thread: defense for pple sued by odex?

Default Re: defense for pple sued by odex?

Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    Same thing applies. Would any parent want to risk that? If this is the sentence that Odex will use this as an example for the rest to see.
    and we hope some good lawyers will help us rid of the exploitation of the legal system for gains. one doesn't correct one wrong with another

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    either way, i think it's wrong for Xedo (hehehe, everyone loves the new term) to ''ask'' for such a high sum of compensation from the parents when even the court is not going to be so heavy handed on the kids.
    They have since changed their stance, now that apparently more people equipped with the knowledge of the law, plus the context of the situation are being engaged on the issue. Now, they are claiming that it doesn't matter who the licensee was. So they cannot claim for compensation. How do they claim for compensation when there're TONS of popular anime being downloaded which they are not even distributing? Now they're claiming that they're fighting piracy in Singapore. And they're claiming for costs of tracking down the pirates.

So APPA (Anti Piracy of Photography Association) anyone? I've no chinks to start, but I've got the brains. It's a sure win business. Only those without conscience need apply.

Quote Originally Posted by shinken View Post
    They have since changed their stance, now that apparently more people equipped with the knowledge of the law, plus the context of the situation are being engaged on the issue. Now, they are claiming that it doesn't matter who the licensee was. So they cannot claim for compensation. How do they claim for compensation when there're TONS of popular anime being downloaded which they are not even distributing? Now they're claiming that they're fighting piracy in Singapore. And they're claiming for costs of tracking down the pirates.

So APPA (Anti Piracy of Photography Association) anyone? I've no chinks to start, but I've got the brains. It's a sure win business. Only those without conscience need apply.
    the noble route they're preaching is just trying to fix the pr mess they caused. Not gonna fly in the court of public opinion. fighting piracy then whey they don't go after bootleggers and all that.

you need to set up a stock photo site that legally distribute photographs first, leave the website to rot and make it all too easy for people to download the pictures for use (e.g. don't put any watermark on the pictures and upload high-res pictures) engage some expert company to help you track the IPs that visited and communicated with your site and store a list of information. after say 6 months you can start harvesting

btw, most probably graphics related companies will download the images like mad, instead of minors at home, so you don't have to worry about getting the kind of uproar Xedo did
    Last edited by eikin; 21st August 2007 at 06:09 PM.

either way, i think it's wrong for Xedo (hehehe, everyone loves the new term) to ''ask'' for such a high sum of compensation from the parents when even the court is not going to be so heavy handed on the kids.
    Xedo, ----> reminds me of the Star Wars character that was killed by Han Solo in the Mos Eisley Cantina, what was he called? Greedo! Hee! Maybe we should just change their name to Gree-di-o, as in greedy.

_

you need to set up a stock photo site that legally distribute photographs first, leave the website to rot and make it all too easy for people to download the pictures for use (e.g. don't put any watermark on the pictures and upload high-res pictures) engage some expert company to help you track the IPs that visited and communicated with your site and store a list of information. after say 6 months you can start harvesting
    I don't even need that. You give me the license to distribute your photos can? Then I start harvesting IPs of people who visit clubsnap. I don't even need to prove this people download anything or not. If they did, they don't even need to be downloading your photos. I'll just say I'm fighting piracy.

Then we can just start sending threatening letters. Some are sure to have downloaded something, and will kwai kwai pay one. The average mentality is not to question those 'who have law on their side'.

How? Are you in?

I don't even need that. You give me the license to distribute your photos can? Then I start harvesting IPs of people who visit clubsnap. I don't even need to prove this people download anything or not. If they did, they don't even need to be downloading your photos. I'll just say I'm fighting piracy.

Then we can just start sending threatening letters. Some are sure to have downloaded something, and will kwai kwai pay one. The average mentality is not to question those 'who have law on their side'.

How? Are you in?
    what's the split like? i don't want to end up like those artists who don't get a single cent of of this

Quote Originally Posted by deadpixel View Post
    Xedo, ----> reminds me of the Star Wars character that was killed by Han Solo in the Mos Eisley Cantina, what was he called? Greedo! Hee! Maybe we should just change their name to Gree-di-o, as in greedy.

_
    you're gonna shoot first like han is it? or some one pull a George lucas and say that greedo shoot first?

what's the split like? i don't want to end up like those artists who don't get a single cent of of this
    I see what happens to that xedo or watever they're called ok? If their house got burnt down or smtg, or get to the 'wrong side of the law' after this saga matures, then we think of something else ok?

I see what happens to that xedo or watever they're called ok? If their house got burnt down or smtg, or get to the 'wrong side of the law' after this saga matures, then we think of something else ok?
    good idea, watch the show first

Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    you're gonna shoot first like han is it? or some one pull a George lucas and say that greedo shoot first?
    Actually, who did fire the first shot? A number of websites claim that it was Greedo who fired the first shot (but missed) and was then shot by Han a split second later. However, I've watched the original Star Wars so many times over the years but seem to remember hearing only one shot.

_

Quote Originally Posted by deadpixel View Post
    Actually, who did fire the first shot? A number of websites claim that it was Greedo who fired the first shot (but missed) and was then shot by Han a split second later. However, I've watched the original Star Wars so many times over the years but seem to remember hearing only one shot.

_
    then you know lor. the sites and lucas say greedo shot first because they want to make han more heroic which is out of character for him since he's supposed to be a rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    then you know lor. the sites and lucas say greedo shot first because they want to make han more heroic which is out of character for him since he's supposed to be a rogue.
    Ha ha ... trust Wikipedia to have this: Han Shot First

_

Quote Originally Posted by cosycatus View Post
    Dun need to hire a lawyer.

The reason is very VERY VERY simple. In singapore, if you want to take anyone to court, the onus is on you to provide the evidence to prove that someone is guilty. No one is going to do it for you.

ODEX might have your IP, but there can be a very simple defense easily available.

1) If you are on wireless, ODEX have to prove that it is you who download it and no someone who taps into your network. Now, i am not suggesting that for those not on wireless to go and buy one set now and then delete all the anime completely from your harddisk and use this defense...
    BUT then, imagine the amount of hard work that odex have to put in to prove this....case by case. AND it's not going to be easy. IF fact, if u look at it, they have to go by elimination, by proving that it's not YOUR neighbors who are doing it.

In the same way that if u hire out a car and a robber use it to rob a bank and escape, you as the owner of the car is not resposbilite, unless u knowingly lend it out for such a purpose.

Based on this alone, for ODEX to even bring you to court, they have to get this ready....and trust me, they dun have enough funds to do this to every one or EVEN one person for that sake of arguement

Which is why they are going for a scare tactic and trying to settle out of court.
    so say, if ODEX loses this case.
    what impact does it send out Globally for Singapore?
    Will that impact be what the Gahment wants?

Or will Gahment wait this closely, and step in when necessary to make sure a successful precedence is set?

SGD$15 million for ODEX to bite into, is small money compared to the amount of investments which the Gahment hopes to draw from overseas... its in billions and billions......

so IMHO, the real mountain in this case here is the gahment.

who know...ODEX might just be a puppet....
    because for ODEX to run such a campaign,
    it must have in it , coiffers like a huge and deep pocket.

qns, could this pocket have been financed by the Gahment?

if indeed true, dun no matter what anyone says, its pointless to the point of no return....
    Last edited by richliow; 21st August 2007 at 08:15 PM.

this is the first time in my history of posting that my thread spawn pages.

horray.

Quote Originally Posted by cosycatus View Post
    this is the first time in my history of posting that my thread spawn pages.

horray.
    time for celebration

time for celebration
    should thank me & garou also
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

back to topic...defense for pple...just thought of a few points while jogging just now...

1) legality of "evidence" obtained by xedo...i read somewhere that someone did a test using bt and found that the "evidence" is akin to someone seeing u entering a building where murder took place, and accuse you of murder...however no concrete evidence..can someone enlighten me?

2) physical evidence. i think this would have to be the police physically scanning your HDD for evidence of downloaded anime. there are various *ahem* tools that are U.S DOD compliant...not saying anything here

3) xedo acting on behalf of jap coys or on its own? it says it represents the jap coys, but not sure whether the jap coys are even giving a damn to what's happening

4) xedo saying sales fallen due to downloading. arguable coz 99% of the list they put up which they have "distribution rights" are not even on sale.

5) IF xedo does press civil charges though, one impt key concern is which line the judge is standing on. top of my mind is that if judge says xedo has no case, it may seem to other countries that sg does not respect IP, which is contrary to what our garmen is trying to tell the other countries

mi not legal trained hor....just my 2.5 cents worth of thoughs

What happend if you download from an external overseas server (HK/China/Malaysia) and then direct to your home server? Just wondering if it's the same? Are they able to trace that?

Just curious if it's possible............

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla Invades View Post
    What happend if you download from an external overseas server (HK/China/Malaysia) and then direct to your home server? Just wondering if it's the same? Are they able to trace that?

Just curious if it's possible............
    now their method is using bit torrent... so its out of their equation.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.