Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Forced to get of Shears Bridge at the very last min!

Default Re: Forced to get off Shears Bridge at the very last min!

Quote Originally Posted by deckard View Post
    we are second class citizens in our own country!
    SG wants to imitate Monaco. a country for the rich and famous. if you have not reach this status yet... it's just your damn luck. and a lot of us fall into this category. we are screwed in our own country.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwitan View Post
    Are u a singaporean? The choicest locations have been reserved for the Ang Mos, FT and the tourists .
    Quote Originally Posted by deckard View Post
    we are second class citizens in our own country!
    Quote Originally Posted by mohgui View Post
    SG wants to imitate Monaco. a country for the rich and famous. if you have not reach this status yet... it's just your damn luck. and a lot of us fall into this category. we are screwed in our own country.
    ... Just dont understand ppl today.There is never a perfect system in any place.

Nobody can satisfy everybody everytime everywhere. U get disappointed sometimes and some of the days.

Whatever thing is being done, it meant good. We need foreign workers but they create social problem. but can chase them away?

Everything we do there is always the pros and the cons.. we just have to be tolerance.

Not too long ago, ppl were against the barrier set up for an international event, no nosense, organised demo. ANd now everybody come here to do their business because they know that Singapore is safe...

Yappy & happy

Default Re: Forced to get of Shears Bridge at the very last min!

scene from "The godfather 2"

MICHAEL

I saw an interesting thing happen today. A rebel was being arrested by the military police, and rather than be taken alive, he exploded a grenade he had hidden in his jacket. He killed himself, and took a captain of the command with him.

[ROTH looks concerned]

Right JOHNNY.

JOHNNY OLA

Those rebels, you know, they're lunatics.

MICHAEL

Maybe so -- but it occurred to me. The soldiers are paid to fight -- the rebels aren't.

ROTH

What does that tell you?

MICHAEL

They can win.

I have given up shooting all these "national" events ...... it's all bullshlts what these big shots and civil servants said about all these national events are for all to enjoy, the rich, the poor, etc, but what the heck, I have never able to get a ticket for any of these "national events", never, ever! Heard that they are mainly reserved for those grassroot helpers, those well connected, etc...
    Anyway, the Singapore Police and Security forces are too efficient to control all the crowds and they always forget about giving the citizens a couple of hours of real fun and memory by leaving them alone, in the name of safety and security!
    I have always wondered how, where and who are gonna get those "fantastic" shots in these events?..... If you have seen the fireworks in Hong Kong, Shanghai, etc... you would understand my frustration of getting a decent spot in Singapore to shoot .....
    Just try going to any of those old deserted buildings now, and within a couple of minutes all those "security" guys will arrive and ask you to leave the "private property (stateland)" immediately.
    Come on officials, it's just a couple of hours for a lifelong memory!
    Last edited by Canonised; 18th August 2007 at 11:00 AM.
    always the Light, .... always.

Quote Originally Posted by mohgui View Post
    Next time we just have to build our own viewing space station for fireworks.

The 2nd Class Citizens will strike back stronger than ever!

Up there in the space we will tower over those droids so that they won't get delusion of grandeur from our hard-earned fireworks.

The Force is still strong with us!

Quote Originally Posted by Stratix View Post
    Man. I dont know what's going on with Singapore with all these rubbish going on, but truly, this is something that really pisses me off very badly.

Just earlier on (on friday, 17th aug), there's the all so mighty Singapore Fireworks Festival, and like other poor guys here, i dont have the money to book a hotel room. Neither do i have any links with STB or the organizers. so naturally, i went up to Shears Bridge, since i guess that's the only place where i could get nice Singaporean Scenery + fireworks. (Marina East wont cut. i dont drive.)

and so, left work at 5pm, reach that bridge at 6pm. found a good spot and enjoyed the nice breeze while waiting for the show to start.

right at about 8.15pm, some Police officers showed up, and we were told to clear the place immediately! i was like wtf?!

the show start at 9pm, and at 8.15pm, they appear and ask us to leave?! i mean, there was no advisory ANYWHERE, nor any signs nor any personal earlier on to warn us.

man. i went early to camp and right at the last min, this sorta thing happened.

now, i have that very strong impression that fireworks is only meant for the rich, expats, and of course, people who're very darn free to go esplanade bridge to camp. period
    Shears Bridge is the one where cars travel right? how did u get up there? i heard the pavement is very narrow for a tripod... info me more, i m a newbie lookin for special places to shoot~

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    Just try going to any of those old deserted buildings now, and within a couple of minutes all those "security" guys will arrive and ask you to leave the "private property (stateland)" immediately.
    Come on officials, it's just a couple of hours for a lifelong memory!
    Listen to the officials or you have two choices:

You either watch the event in front of telly in the comfort of your home or from behind the iron bars in the comfort of a jail cell.
    Last edited by Sion; 18th August 2007 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwitan View Post
    Are u a singaporean? The choicest locations have been reserved for the Ang Mos, FT and the tourists .

Well, most of us can't afford to pay the rent at them choicest locations!

hi
    did they give any reason at all?
    afaik, closing the bridge/public road entirely is not a trivial affair...
    especially non emergency cases..
    requires ministers approval and all that...
    LTA need ton inform the public
    maybe need to place advert in newspaper as well..
    all other notices are not valid.

what were the police thinking?
    surely through the years, they wld have expected public to line up the bridge as in previous years and pre-empt it.

previous years used to view at marina south
    one fine year... kena blocked at exit to marina south bcos of some events held there..
    probably reserve the whole marina south for a few elits... *sigh*
    fedup so nbr go many years...

this year go.... all cordoned off bcos of the IR thingy...

no effort whatsoever to bridge the digital(finanicial) divide
    consciously or otherside NPD organiser are creating a bigger divide...

Quote Originally Posted by Stratix View Post
    Man. I dont know what's going on with Singapore with all these rubbish going on, but truly, this is something that really pisses me off very badly.

Just earlier on (on friday, 17th aug), there's the all so mighty Singapore Fireworks Festival, and like other poor guys here, i dont have the money to book a hotel room. Neither do i have any links with STB or the organizers. so naturally, i went up to Shears Bridge, since i guess that's the only place where i could get nice Singaporean Scenery + fireworks. (Marina East wont cut. i dont drive.)

and so, left work at 5pm, reach that bridge at 6pm. found a good spot and enjoyed the nice breeze while waiting for the show to start.

right at about 8.15pm, some Police officers showed up, and we were told to clear the place immediately! i was like wtf?!

the show start at 9pm, and at 8.15pm, they appear and ask us to leave?! i mean, there was no advisory ANYWHERE, nor any signs nor any personal earlier on to warn us.

man. i went early to camp and right at the last min, this sorta thing happened.

now, i have that very strong impression that fireworks is only meant for the rich, expats, and of course, people who're very darn free to go esplanade bridge to camp. period

The police want to make clear that the bridge is not meant for public viewing gallery and for some security reason the bridge must be cleared of people viewing the fireworks.
    Think of concepts and work towards it.

Quote Originally Posted by airforce1 View Post
    The police want to make clear that the bridge is not meant for public viewing gallery and for some security reason the bridge must be cleared of people viewing the fireworks.
    anything can be pushed to "security"... come on, shears have been a shooting/viewing location for previous firework festivals. what security are we tokking about.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

we cant even watch it on our telly. this year's fireworks sucks. so little viewing location, so little teams, so picky on who get seats or prime viewing locations, so sucky weather.
    maybe next time should just hold it at bigger viewing vantage points like sentosa where u can view it even from vivo. but the govt wants to rake in money from all the stuff in marina bla bla bla.. i'm starting to blabber
    i guess thats why last year's team ran to malaysia instead.
    Nikon!
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by airforce1 View Post
    probably they are worried that the Sheares Bridge might collapse under the weights of the Canons and Nikons
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...r=HOME_3161105
    always the Light, .... always.

Have anybody thought of going to malaysia? It's just a few hours' bus ride there...

http://www.mifc.com.my/test/mc/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by boombox View Post
    Have anybody thought of going to malaysia? It's just a few hours' bus ride there...

And superimpose the Malaysian fireworks over Lion City skyline?

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    anything can be pushed to "security"... come on, shears have been a shooting/viewing location for previous firework festivals. what security are we tokking about.
    Security against The Tripods Gang, The Ladder Gang, The Eventgelists, The Nikon Cult, The Canonians, The Pyrotechnic Fanatics etc.

Quote Originally Posted by boombox View Post

most hotels full house.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejt View Post
    we cant even watch it on our telly. this year's fireworks sucks. so little viewing location, so little teams, so picky on who get seats or prime viewing locations, so sucky weather.
    maybe next time should just hold it at bigger viewing vantage points like sentosa where u can view it even from vivo. but the govt wants to rake in money from all the stuff in marina bla bla bla.. i'm starting to blabber
    i guess thats why last year's team ran to malaysia instead.
    I went to STB site, apparently they are giving tix free tho those tourists... and we hav to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Security against The Tripods Gang, The Ladder Gang, The Eventgelists, The Nikon Cult, The Canonians, The Pyrotechnic Fanatics etc.

Hahahah.. ladder gang on SB... mabbe an idea for mattlock series... hahaha

The rest, it's all over the bay leh, why SB onli.

funny, why u all choose to shoot from the bridge ? there's lotsa of vibration from the moving traffic.. u want to see "Zorro" effects on your fireworks ?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast