Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Leica D-LUX 3 or Ricoh GR Digital?

  1. #1

    Default Leica D-LUX 3 or Ricoh GR Digital?

    Hi bros & sis. Need some advice here. I'm caught between this 2 digital camera but not sure which to choose.

    Or am I paying something which is over priced? I've use Canon, Sanyo and Sony before looking to get a replacement. My old digital cameras can't take good decent night shoots. Hope you guys can help.

    Not getting SLR cameras, too bulky. Need to travel light. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Leica D-LUX 3 or Ricoh GR Digital?

    Quote Originally Posted by IceCoolBeer View Post
    Hi bros & sis. Need some advice here. I'm caught between this 2 digital camera but not sure which to choose.

    Or am I paying something which is over priced? I've use Canon, Sanyo and Sony before looking to get a replacement. My old digital cameras can't take good decent night shoots. Hope you guys can help.

    Not getting SLR cameras, too bulky. Need to travel light. Thanks!
    Leica...ultimate!
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York*New Jersey*Boston
    Posts
    1,072

    Default Re: Leica D-LUX 3 or Ricoh GR Digital?

    the GR digital has some noise issues.
    doesnt deal with noise too well
    so it might affect your ability to capture good quality photos for your night shoots.
    just wanted to point that out
    Regards, Mark Pang
    www.markpangphotography.com

  4. #4

    Default Re: Leica D-LUX 3 or Ricoh GR Digital?

    i think leica dlux3 is like an expensive pretty sony T-series and GRD is like a small SLR.
    i think it depends on what kind of photography u're into. GRD is pretty much like film camera as its noise resembles film grain. suitable for emo/artistic shots.

    do search on flickr to see photos produced by these 2 cams.
    heres one of the GRD users... http://www.flickr.com/photos/matador_snaps/
    this guy made alot of ppl settle for GRD! he uses GRD + photoshop

  5. #5

    Default Re: Leica D-LUX 3 or Ricoh GR Digital?

    why limit yourself to 28mm with the GRD?

    your choice should be between GX100 and DLux 3.

    I have both the GX100 and LX2. I would say I prefer the GX100 since I'm like the 24mm.

    I'm going to HK soon and will be bring both cam along to backup one another. They share the same battery and uses SDHC.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Seoul, South Korea
    Posts
    395

    Default Re: Leica D-LUX 3 or Ricoh GR Digital?

    I can't speak for the the Leica, but the GRD doesn't seem that great for night shots at high ISOs. Yes, the grain resembles film, but I find that if you need to shoot dim, it looks better in B&W mode on high ISOs. I dont like its look in normal colour mode.

    For dim situations, you might want to look at cameras with good sensitivity performance, for example Fujifilm's F30/F31fd and the new one... I think its F50fd. My wife uses one and I like its output up to ISO800. So good in fact most shots we take are without flash at night.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Leica D-LUX 3 or Ricoh GR Digital?

    Quote Originally Posted by weekh View Post
    why limit yourself to 28mm with the GRD?

    your choice should be between GX100 and DLux 3.

    I have both the GX100 and LX2. I would say I prefer the GX100 since I'm like the 24mm.

    I'm going to HK soon and will be bring both cam along to backup one another. They share the same battery and uses SDHC.

    So, you have a Leica and a Ricoh. Can't wait to see some of the shoots.
    Last edited by IceCoolBeer; 17th August 2007 at 10:06 AM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Leica D-LUX 3 or Ricoh GR Digital?

    Quote Originally Posted by kingofsilence View Post
    i think leica dlux3 is like an expensive pretty sony T-series and GRD is like a small SLR.
    i think it depends on what kind of photography u're into. GRD is pretty much like film camera as its noise resembles film grain. suitable for emo/artistic shots.

    do search on flickr to see photos produced by these 2 cams.
    heres one of the GRD users... http://www.flickr.com/photos/matador_snaps/
    this guy made alot of ppl settle for GRD! he uses GRD + photoshop
    Nice shoots there.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Leica D-LUX 3 or Ricoh GR Digital?

    Seems like Ricoh is the choice here. I don't mind the film like noise. True, the 24mm Ricoh GX100 would be a better choice bcos I'll use it for travelling, candid, landscape shoots.

    Any more thought on these 2 camera? Both selling about the same price. I'm still considering Leica, for its lens. But not too sure if its really that good as people said Leica's lenses are good. And the F-stop for these 2 camera are almost the same. My reason for choosing these 2 are b'cos of its F-stop and high ISO.

    As for Ricoh, I've read lots of blog that it really perform well. Any Leica D-LUX 3 user here? Would like to hear your opinon?

  10. #10

    Default Re: Leica D-LUX 3 or Ricoh GR Digital?

    Quote Originally Posted by weekh View Post
    why limit yourself to 28mm with the GRD?

    your choice should be between GX100 and DLux 3.

    I have both the GX100 and LX2. I would say I prefer the GX100 since I'm like the 24mm.

    I'm going to HK soon and will be bring both cam along to backup one another. They share the same battery and uses SDHC.
    yeah GX100 is the choice! i prefer it more than my dslr and its totally awesome

  11. #11

    Default Re: Leica D-LUX 3 or Ricoh GR Digital?

    Let's be clear about it that these are digicams with small sensor size.

    I was shooting with a 5D with some Leica and Zeiss glasses just before I started shooting with the GX100. The GX100 clearly cannot hold a candle next to the images from the 5D in terms of image quality.

    By itself, the GX100 is a great cam that weights to nothing. I've printed some cropped photos on a S8R prints and they are excellent!

  12. #12

    Default Re: Leica D-LUX 3 or Ricoh GX 100 Digital?

    Any poll of this?

    Leica D Lux 3 and Ricoh GX100.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Seoul, South Korea
    Posts
    395

    Default Re: Leica D-LUX 3 or Ricoh GR Digital?

    Quote Originally Posted by weekh View Post
    Let's be clear about it that these are digicams with small sensor size.

    I was shooting with a 5D with some Leica and Zeiss glasses just before I started shooting with the GX100. The GX100 clearly cannot hold a candle next to the images from the 5D in terms of image quality.

    By itself, the GX100 is a great cam that weights to nothing. I've printed some cropped photos on a S8R prints and they are excellent!
    Just came back from a shoot today, had a D2H and a GR with me. Too bad had to do the shoot at around noon. What I noticed is that the GR tends to overexpose quite often (In summary, the light situation conned the metering on the GR more often than not). On top of that, the smallish sensor definitely cannot fight even with a 4mpix D2H when it comes to churning out nice looking photos with nice dynamic range. Talking about JPEGs on the Ricoh for sure... I'm sure DNGs would be better looking a little.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Leica D-LUX 3 or Ricoh GR Digital?

    Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    Just came back from a shoot today, had a D2H and a GR with me. Too bad had to do the shoot at around noon. What I noticed is that the GR tends to overexpose quite often (In summary, the light situation conned the metering on the GR more often than not). On top of that, the smallish sensor definitely cannot fight even with a 4mpix D2H when it comes to churning out nice looking photos with nice dynamic range. Talking about JPEGs on the Ricoh for sure... I'm sure DNGs would be better looking a little.
    no point comparing dslrs and compacts actually. both different fields. all i can say between dslr and compacts is it all depends what kind of photography you are shooting. dslr better sensor etc not really important for most people cos they only wanna print 4R or jpgs on blog / flickr. so pointless to compare. anyway back to the topic...

    Leica D-Lux3 or Ricoh GRD?

  15. #15

    Default Re: Leica D-LUX 3 or Ricoh GR Digital?

    Quote Originally Posted by kingofsilence View Post
    no point comparing dslrs and compacts actually. both different fields. all i can say between dslr and compacts is it all depends what kind of photography you are shooting. dslr better sensor etc not really important for most people cos they only wanna print 4R or jpgs on blog / flickr. so pointless to compare. anyway back to the topic...

    Leica D-Lux3 or Ricoh GRD?

    Yep. Back to the topic. No point comparing DSLR with Compacts.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Leica D-LUX 3 or Ricoh GR Digital?

    I've email Leica to reconfirm about the ISO b'cos I found some site post ISO400 and some post ISO1600. This is what they came back. Didn't know Leica DLUX 3 can use R adaptor for their R Systems. Hmmm.

    "Question : why on earth would someone want to mount Leica R lenses on a camera like the Digilux 3 ?.
    Answer : because it's so easy and so fun .Leica recently introduced adaptor ring is a simple , purely mechanical piece of precision work. On one side it connects up to the FourThirds bayonet of the Digilux 3 , on the other to the R bayonet of the R lenses. Leica's youngest digital system camera is thus given access to the entire line-up of high-power R lenses.

    R-Adaptor.
    The R-adaptor is remarkably straightforward , without compromising the quality for which Leica is so renowned . The R-adaptor successfully surmounts the obstacle presented by the different lens-to-sensor ration of the two camera systems [ Four Thirds 38.85 mm ; R system 47mm. ]

    Largely comprised of the original R9 bayonet spring ; the R-adaptor carries a bold price tag of 225 euros. Unfortunately , the construct doesn't allow you to use neither the aperture spring function nor shutter priority and programme mode for automated aperture regulation. They all require certain mechanical tappets native to the R bayonet , while the Four Thirds system utilises an electrical motor to control all functions, including the focussing mechanism. The exposure is therefor measured through the working aperture. Its regulation is restricted to aperture priority or manual adjustment.
    What may sound like a relapse into the photographic stone age is actually quite tolerable: depending on the lens and the ambient light , the viewfinder image will remain sufficiently clear even when you stop down . Aperture priority will get job done with no ifs and buys , and the same goes for the metering modes of the Digilux 3. One reason to use the high-speed R lenses in the first place is to exploit their abilities at wide-open aperture , so the limitations regarding smaller aperture are in fact very minor.
    The viewfinder of the Digilux 3 single-lens reflects the size of the sensor and is therefore slightly smaller than the one found in the Leica R. The D viewfinder may struggle a little when focussing manually , but it isn't made any easier when the D Vario- Elmarit is mounted .

    The camera so-called LiveView mode turns out to be an invaluable little helper , allowing you to control your focus and exposure on the camera display using the optional magnifier . At first this may seem strange , holding your Digilux 3 possibly equipped with an R telephoto lens ~ several centimeters away from your body in an attempt to get the focus right . Nonetheless , the end easily justifies the mean.

    But let's bring it back to the present : the R-Adaptor is a highly effective tool which will introduce all those Leica R photographers who were unwilling to make the costly leap to the R8 / R9 with Digital-Modul-R to digital fun with their beloved R lenses . The number of people seriously considering investing in new R lenses as accessories for their Digilux 3 is likely to be small .

    But invert the scenario and the Digilux 3 becomes a tempting solution for budget - conscious analogue R photographers , even if only to pass the time until the issues concerning the Digilux - Modul - R successor have been solves ~ not to mention discovering infinite new aspects of your R lenses with the FourThirds standard."

  17. #17
    Senior Member felixcat8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9,117

    Default Re: Leica D-LUX 3 or Ricoh GR Digital?

    I'll go for the Leica anytime. Their lenses and cams are well know since the early days of photography.
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2



  18. #18

    Default Re: Leica D-LUX 3 or Ricoh GR Digital?

    IceCoolBeer:

    You do know that they are referring to the Digilux 3 (their 'Panasonic L1 equivalent' DSLR) while you are referring to the D-Lux 3, don't you?
    Last edited by tomcat; 21st August 2007 at 08:41 AM.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Leica D-LUX 3 or Ricoh GR Digital?

    I have the dlux-3 for more than half a year now and am extremely happy with the cam. the colors it produces are simply awesome.

    I think if you go over to the Leica Talk forum at dpreview, you will see some really outstanding photos produced by the dlux-3. Look out for those done by this guy by the name of Jim Radcliff.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Leica D-LUX 3 or Ricoh GR Digital?

    Can anyone tell me where to get Leica D LUX 3?
    So far I found 1 at Centrepoint, MaxPhoto.
    Any big stores like Harvey Norman or Best Denki carrys Leica?

    Cheers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •