Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Even the expats are going home...

Default Re: Even the expats are going home...

Just a gentle reminder, there are several thousands of mnc in Singapore. Remove their investment and some of you might be jobless.

On the otherside, it is true that the cost of living has been reconsidered to a higher level in Singapore by foreign expats packages. Expats are more expensive to keep here. This means a tendency to replace the coslty expats by cheaper ones or local workers. This might end up being in favour of those that "serve 2.5 years of NS to defend ourselves from foreign invaders" They might get the expat job by being hired or being promoted within the structure.

All in all, everybody has a different situation. Some might be more affected than other whenever there is a change.

Nowadays it is the rental that is the killer for both local and foreign in SG.
    Last edited by Loupisk; 17th August 2007 at 11:12 AM.
    Even if I do not agree with you, I will always fight for you to have your say.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Aiya why bother talking about such things.

Sooner or later the people who see all sides of the coin will be INVADED by the people who only see one side.

Waste of time. Come come, talk about nightmare on CS and lenscaps and ladders!
    "We are the Borg, resistance is futile, you will be assimilated"

Help!

Quote Originally Posted by dkw View Post

Help!
    Singaporeans can marry the expat single women and thus assimilate them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    I rikes!

Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    how to do that when you lock the thread?!
    Start talking here lor.

I like Pentax lens caps. <3

Help!

Er, I think you have been fooled, the opposite will happen! Fool!

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Er, I think you have been fooled, the opposite will happen! Fool!
    You are a fool for not trying to catch the migrating birds that fly into the shores of this beautiful island.

They are here to experience "Asian culture" like you.

You are a fool for not trying to catch the migrating birds that fly into the shores of this beautiful island.

They are here to experience "Asian culture" like you.
    he can be an SPG: Sarong party Guy!

YWhy is a foreigner who is willing to work cheap a bad thing? All the whlie, many on this forum, including yourself, are complaining about rising cost of living, cost of services such as transport and healthcare. If there are foreigners who can provide equivalent service at a lower cost, are you not the beneficiary? If the hospitals can outsource X-ray services to India so that the Chest x-ray you did last year will be at half the price, is that not desirable?
    If the jobs can be done by locals, they would be, and for many higher end jobs, that is increasingly the case. The reason why foreign workers have such a presence is because there are many jobs Singaporeans cannot and will not do. I don't like it any more than you do, but it does not change the fact.

Actually, I believe it is a fallacy that getting cheaper labour means cheaper prices for end users. If the hospital outsources the X-ray examination services to a lower cost solution, they are more likely to keep the end cost to the patient the same and pocket the costs savings as more profit. Just as with for example construction - Singapore brings in a lot of cheap labour from other countries, however the cost savings from the cheaper labour may not necessarily be passed on. The beneficiaries of cheaper workers is not the end user with lower costs of services/goods, but the business owners and companies with lower costs and thus potentially higher profits.

On the other hand, I do agree that Singapore needs to bring in workers from overseas (from low wage workers to expensive expats) for various reasons (expertise, insufficient labour force size, work that locals do not want to do etc)

Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    how to do that when you lock the thread?!
    He locked it because he was afraid people came to OT his thread by mentioning Nikon lenscaps.

Then he would have to tell this other person to start another thread.

He locked it because he was afraid people came to OT his thread by mentioning Nikon lenscaps.

Then he would have to tell this other person to start another thread.
    So smart!

Quote Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
    Even the expats are going home...
    I find their lack of faith disturbing.

They think they have landed on a moon. They forget about we're just a space station.

They are part of the Rebel Alliance.

They are not Obi-Wan Kenobi and our only hope to greatness.
    Last edited by Sion; 17th August 2007 at 07:47 PM.

I find their lack of faith disturbing.

They think they have landed on a moon. They forget about we're just a space station.

They are part of the Rebel Alliance.

They are not Obi-Wan Kenobi and our only hope to greatness.
    no worries, we have the Empire wif us.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Arrow Re: Even the expats are going home...

The Expats are going to Hong Kong and China.

Quote Originally Posted by Loupisk View Post
    Nowadays it is the rental that is the killer for both local and foreign in SG.
    Jedi Council is aware of that.

We can't keep on reclaiming lands without being geographically merged with Indonesia. What the council proposes is to have floating platforms in the air to build apartments to house the expats.

One thing they haven't worked out is how the hell we are going to get expats flying up there.
    Last edited by Sion; 18th August 2007 at 12:51 AM.

Jedi Council is aware of that.

We can't keep on reclaiming lands without being geographically merged with Indonesia. What the council proposes is to have floating platforms in the air to build apartments to house the expats.

One thing they haven't worked out is how the hell we are going to get expats up there.
    don't we have pigeon holes? there are plenty to go around!!

we should then build our country like weding cakes w/ several tiers to save space. those who have fear of heights stay nearer ground!

Quote Originally Posted by leejay View Post
    If it is really the case that Singaporeans are not willing to do low-end jobs, then why do we see old folks or aunties and uncles cleaning toilets?
    It's not only low-end jobs. The company I work for has problems finding qualified Singaporeans who want to work in middle class to high-end jobs (and HR is trying hard) - it just happens that our main focus is not on work in finance, law, administration, or whatever else is fashionable, plus the nature of work requires a bit more commitment/responsibility and readiness to get hands dirty than a lot of people are willing to take.

Several of our cleaners are indeed retired Singaporeans. I asked them once if they had to do this to survive, and the answer was that they don't really do it for the money. It gives them company, a sense of purpose, and opportunity to mingle with younger people.

Do take note that the big problem is sometimes not about Singaporeans not having the skills or unwilling to upgrade or fussy about jobs.
    Sometimes not, but quite often that appears to be a problem. The unemployment rate in Singapore is currently very low, and people can afford to be picky.

i hope the hordes of low eq, cant speak properly, people in my school go back to farming and rearing their farm animals. i think too much resources are wasted on them. and no, i am not refering to the occasional top indian or european scholars we see, but those that come in the bus loads every morning.socks high high, pants high high. head also very high think they very smart, whole day cut queues only and get into fights...not naming who or where they come from

Quote Originally Posted by deckard View Post
    we serve 2.5 years of NS to defend ourselves from foreign invaders. But now we are being invaded up, down, left, right, centre by foreign invaders. what a waste of 2.5 years!

They bring in business, expertise, work those Singaporean dont like to handle.. so what's wrong when they come.

We make our place good and secure by learning how to fight and have a lot of 'meat'!

We have one of the strongest army in this region.. and you are one of them that make us strong so that nobody dare to bully us...

Yappy & happy

Quote Originally Posted by xtemujin View Post
    The Expats are going to Hong Kong and China.
    The market is in China.. but dont forget there are 500 millions in this region and it is another huge market!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast