Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Even the expats are going home...

Default Re: Even the expats are going home...

More foreigners taking up Singapore citizenship
    http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...294178/1/.html

Some come some go.
    Last edited by Sion; 16th August 2007 at 09:23 PM.

More are coming then leaving.
    Cleanse your thoughts, not by the foods you eat.

Quote Originally Posted by dominator View Post
    More are coming then leaving.
    It won't last once firms start to realize that its more expensive for them to send someone here than opposed to somewhere else say Shanghai.

At the end of the day, it's just competition. Bottom line is still Sporean pay not going up.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    At the end of the day, it's just competition. Bottom line is still Sporean pay not going up.
    Well said.

we serve 2.5 years of NS to defend ourselves from foreign invaders. But now we are being invaded up, down, left, right, centre by foreign invaders. what a waste of 2.5 years!

Quote Originally Posted by deckard View Post
    we serve 2.5 years of NS to defend ourselves from foreign invaders. But now we are being invaded up, down, left, right, centre by foreign invaders. what a waste of 2.5 years!
    Its not like these people come here illegally.

Look, I share your pain. I am doing my 10th high key ICT this year. My boys will have to go through the same thing, employers don't like when their staff go for ICT, so there is a significant burden to bear. But being xenophobic and shutting the doors is not the answer, and your post is way out of line.

It is just the nature of economics. As our workforce matures and the country develops, the cost of living will start to equalise with developed nations and our locals can step up to the jobs, so the premiums paid to expats will become less or non-existent. Expats have had a good ride in SG for many years, but as with the nature of open markets (including workforce markets), where there is a gap, it will be filled. There will be continued demand for expats higher up the value chain with specific skills and experience that are lacking locally, but for middle managers and the like, that will no longer be the case.

Nothing good or bad about it, just economics at play.

Quote Originally Posted by dkw View Post
    Look, I share your pain. I am doing my 10th high key ICT this year. My boys will have to go through the same thing, employers don't like when their staff go for ICT, so there is a significant burden to bear. But being xenophobic and shutting the doors is not the answer, and your post is way out of line.
    I agree with you on this.

Quote Originally Posted by dkw View Post
    excuse me sir. how is this way out of line?

FT are doing all the jobs that singaporeans can be doing. for lowly paid workers to CEOs.
    some singaporeans can't find a job because all the work is taken up by FT who are willing to work cheap because of the X2 factor for malaysians and even more from other countries.

"if you are sick and can't find a job. better jump MRT or 14 floor."- quoted by old auntie yesterdays TV program.

excuse me sir. how is this way out of line?

FT are doing all the jobs that singaporeans can be doing. for lowly paid workers to CEOs.
    some singaporeans can't find a job because all the work is taken up by FT who are willing to work cheap because of the X2 factor for malaysians and even more from other countries.

"if you are sick and can't find a job. better jump MRT or 14 floor."- quoted by old auntie yesterdays TV program.
    Yous said "Foreign Invaders"? "Waste of 2.5 years"? Xenophobic, disloyal and immature. By my book, out of line. By the way, I came here from a foreign country in my childhood, does that make me a "foreign invader"?

Why is a foreigner who is willing to work cheap a bad thing? All the whlie, many on this forum, including yourself, are complaining about rising cost of living, cost of services such as transport and healthcare. If there are foreigners who can provide equivalent service at a lower cost, are you not the beneficiary? If the hospitals can outsource X-ray services to India so that the Chest x-ray you did last year will be at half the price, is that not desirable?
    If the jobs can be done by locals, they would be, and for many higher end jobs, that is increasingly the case. The reason why foreign workers have such a presence is because there are many jobs Singaporeans cannot and will not do. I don't like it any more than you do, but it does not change the fact.
    Last edited by dkw; 17th August 2007 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    It won't last once firms start to realize that its more expensive for them to send someone here than opposed to somewhere else say Shanghai.
    Not true. Shanghai is getting hell of an expensive place to stay. The salary are matching in some case of Singapore. Not all china cities are "that" lower cost of living.

There are some factories that located in China, regrets badly and relocate out of Singapore. Low cost is only part of the equation to a business entity.

Of course, there are several manufactorers that move to elsewhere, not only to china. Singapore could not afford to attract low value / labourers businesses which is not condusive.
    Last edited by kitkat; 17th August 2007 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kitkat View Post
    Not true. Shanghai is getting hell of an expensive place to stay. The salary are matching in some case of Singapore. Not all china cities are "that" lower cost of living.

There are some factories that located in China, regrets badly and relocate out of Singapore. Low cost is only part of the equation to a business entity.

Of course, there are several manufactorers that move to elsewhere, not only to china. Singapore could not afford to attract low value / labourers businesses which is not condusive.
    i didn't mean shanghai specificly it was just a random name i picked off the top of my head but you have a point about the low cost thing and i agree with it.

The foreign countries are sending out their talents as the first line of attack.
    Last edited by Sion; 17th August 2007 at 10:20 AM.

What deckard said, that some Singaporeans (in fact quite a lot) can't find a job due to the influx of foreign workers, does have some truth, maybe to a certain extent.

'If the jobs can be done by locals, they would be, and for many higher end jobs, that is increasingly the case. The reason why foreign workers have such a presence is because there are many jobs Singaporeans cannot and will not do. I don't like it any more than you do, but it does not change the fact. '

This line is only half right. If it is really the case that Singaporeans are not willing to do low-end jobs, then why do we see old folks or aunties and uncles cleaning toilets? Why do I still see Singaporeans working among foreign workers at MNCs? To make ends meet, I think anybody would want to secure even a low-paying job to feed themselves and their dependents. Do take note that the big problem is sometimes not about Singaporeans not having the skills or unwilling to upgrade or fussy about jobs. Even if they are ok to receive the same pay as foreign workers, they still won't get the job. Sometimes it really is because employers prefer young guns from other countries to cut costs or for other factors, we don't know.

The biggest threat we should fear is the GAP between the rich and the poor. With the rise in the prices of everything and the stagnation of the payroll, the poor will get poorer. The frontline to bear the impact caused by foreign workers would be the low-paid people; the next in line would be the lower-middle class.
    Last edited by leejay; 17th August 2007 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by leejay View Post
    Sometimes it really is because employers prefer young guns from other countries to cut costs or for other factors, we don't know. .
    Business is competitive, of course if there is a way to cut cost by hiring foreigners, who wouldn't do it? There are over 100,000 households in Singapore hiring foreign domestic workers (i.e. maids) at a fraction of a the cost of hiring a local. If the law clamped down and said you could only hire locally, how many of those families can afford? I am talking about everyday, you and me type of families.

Quote Originally Posted by leejay View Post
    The biggest threat we should fear is the GAP between the rich and the poor. With the rise in the prices of everything and the stagnation of the payroll, the poor will get poorer. The frontline to bear the impact caused by foreign workers would be the low-paid people; the next in line would be the lower-middle class.
    Wage gap is happening, middle class income stagnation is happening. It is here and now, not somewhere in the future. These are realities of a flat world. How does reducing the influx of foreign workers help that? A temporary rise in incomes as companies scramble to hire locals, and then a long term decline as the same companies relocate elsewhere in search of lower labour costs. I tell you, it is poison, this whole idea of closing our borders, it will kill the country for both rich AND poor.... and the rich could at least leave, so the poor are the ones who will suffer the most.

Aiya why bother talking about such things.

Sooner or later the people who see all sides of the coin will be INVADED by the people who only see one side.

Waste of time. Come come, talk about nightmare on CS and lenscaps and ladders!

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Aiya why bother talking about such things.

Sooner or later the people who see all sides of the coin will be INVADED by the people who only see one side.

Waste of time. Come come, talk about nightmare on CS and lenscaps and ladders!
    how to do that when you lock the thread?!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast