Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 31823262728293033 ... LastLast

Thread: Odex Directors wanna sue anime downloaders in Singapore.

Default Re: Odex Directors wanna sue anime downloaders in Singapore.

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    its not like Odex is Disney lo.
    If that was the case this thing will never end...today is the day they're supposed to go to court for appeal...wonder what happen...

Quote Originally Posted by StrifeYun View Post
    yah loh , how to confirm and verify, what if i likfe to anyhow D/L stuff to make full use of my band width ? D/L 90% then delete away, so what am i guilty at ?
    they still can suit u by reasoning against what a normal person will do...so in this case...you are still guility...

vince123123
    Guests

They still must prove that you have infringed (whether by reproduction, distribution, offering for sale etc). SO far it looks like the only thing they can prove is that the pple connected to a tracker.

Quote Originally Posted by westwest2 View Post
    they still can suit u by reasoning against what a normal person will do...so in this case...you are still guility...

http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2...ry_153203.html
    This pretty much settles it, its become another RIAA case. Goodbye local anime scene, since its obvious the japanese themselves want to use this place as a testing ground for the rest of the world...
    Last edited by garou12; 30th August 2007 at 08:25 PM.

From the article, I feel some of the statistic they quote are quite meaningless. For example, the per-capita rate of downloads. If the population is small, per-capita rates don't really translate into any form of significant numbers at all. But well, the appeal case still has to judge whether BayTSP's results can be used or not. If the talk about BayTSP's methods are real, that so-called 400K+ downloads could be just connected users. They still have to prove they are downloads in progress.

So let's just continue watching.
    Last edited by Prismatic; 30th August 2007 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prismatic View Post
    From the article, I feel some of the statistic they quote are quite meaningless. For example, the per-capita rate of downloads. If the population is small, per-capita rates don't really translate into any form of significant numbers at all. But well, the appeal case still has to judge whether BayTSP's results can be used or not. If the talk about BayTSP's methods are real, that so-called 400K+ downloads could be just connected users. They still have to prove they are downloads in progress.

So let's just continue watching.
    regardless for the japs to turn on their fan base like this...plus its pretty obvious that they want to use this place as testing ground to see if they can go after other countries.

interesting ... they seek help from big production houses of course no problem lah, still doesn't help the poorly paid artists behind the scene ... i wonder if the japanese companies know of Gamesmart

all i have to say is RIP anime scene in singapore. And if this clears the appeals court its gonna be a huge pandora's box not just locally but internationally as well, not just for anime...

By Foo Siew Shyan, Channel NewsAsia

SINGAPORE: Anime distributor Odex has defended its action against illegal downloaders as a form of enforcement against piracy rather than for profit.

Rumour has it that the company earned some S$15 million by taking action against illegal downloads.

Computer users, most of them teens, have been pilfering anime titles from the Web.

In fact, one report even ranked Singapore number one in the world, when it comes to illegal anime downloads per capita.

Odex has uncovered close to 500,000 cases of illegal downloading so far.

To further prove its point, Odex has roped in about 30 Japanese copyright holders who have said they will support Odex in its legal move.

That move saw Odex going to court to force SingNet and StarHub to release the names of its subscribers who have illegally downloaded its cartoons.

The result - a backlash against Odex.

Some people have accused the company of sending 1,000 warning letters, each supposedly called for the identified subscriber to pay between S$3,000 and S$5,000 in fines.

But at a news conference on Thursday, Odex said that there was no fine involved.

300 letters were sent out, it said.

About a third of the recipients settled with Odex for an undisclosed sum.

The rest are being mediated.

The company claimed that any excess money from the move, after deducting costs, will be donated to a charitable cause.

Odex added that no one was forced to pay beyond his/her means.

"This exercise was never meant to be just an enforcement. It's not a profiteering mission to get as much money from everybody. It was conceptualized with a very big picture (in mind). Illegal downloaders can download animes for all they want....five years, ten years, there will be nothing left to download. This is the fear that most strikes us. We want to address that situation," said Stephen Sing, director of Odex Pte Ltd.

That's why Odex still plans to continue what it calls its enforcement process.

Its target - an 80 or 90 percent reduction in illegal downloads.

That seems like quite a stretch, since the company has seen only a 17% drop in illegal downloads this month.

More importantly, Odex may not have the right to pursue its so-called enforcement after all.

Despite the company's success against SingTel and StarHub, a judge has ruled that Pacific Internet does not have to give up the names of its subscribers who have been accused of illegally downloading anime.

This is because the court found that Odex is just a sub-licensee and not the copyright owner or exclusive licensee for most of the anime titles sold in Singapore.

Odex says it will launch an appeal to reverse the latest court ruling. - CNA/ir

Anyone buys this?

This drama has escalated to another level, the way I see it, Odex cannot back down now, there's too much publicity and to back down now would have great consequences for the directors of Odex.

They started something which I think have reacted beyond what they expected. Unless their gameplan is so flawless, I can't imagine how anyone (Odex & anime fans / scene) can come out of this in one piece. Things have definitely changed.

I started this thread initially becoz I felt that something is seriously amiss in the case and so far I still do not believe that Odex is "clean" based on the other information posted here.

Btw, I wouldn't be surprised that the people in Odex are reading online posts / opinions on the case and are reacting to it. By criticising them online, we may have helped them cover their initial loopholes.

Anyway Odex if you are reading this, remember you can't fool all the people all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by FooFighter View Post
    This drama has escalated to another level, the way I see it, Odex cannot back down now, there's too much publicity and to back down now would have great consequences for the directors of Odex.

They started something which I think have reacted beyond what they expected. Unless their gameplan is so flawless, I can't imagine how anyone (Odex & anime fans / scene) can come out of this in one piece. Things have definitely changed.

I started this thread initially becoz I felt that something is seriously amiss in the case and so far I still do not believe that Odex is "clean" based on the other information posted here.

Btw, I wouldn't be surprised that the people in Odex are reading online posts / opinions on the case and are reacting to it. By criticising them online, we may have helped them cover their initial loopholes.

Anyway Odex if you are reading this, remember you can't fool all the people all the time.
    this whole thing has snowballed hasn't it?

well there are still many many unanswered questions, and many many undisclosed information, it's going to be a rough ride for those involved. i wonder if the japanese companies' confidence are going to be shaken if they know about the Gamesmart story, reputation is very important for them ...

Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    this whole thing has snowballed hasn't it?
    You said it, now we'll see how it unfolds... but no matter what the courts says, I think Odex is not as honourable, pure and naive as they want us to believe...

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    well there are still many many unanswered questions, and many many undisclosed information, it's going to be a rough ride for those involved. i wonder if the japanese companies' confidence are going to be shaken if they know about the Gamesmart story, reputation is very important for them ...
    you write them and tell them la, guarantee here they are under lock and key and embargoed so they dunnoe exactly what's going on. Do your fellow countrymen a favor brotha!

Quote Originally Posted by FooFighter View Post
    You said it, now we'll see how it unfolds... but no matter what the courts says, I think Odex is not as honourable, pure and naive as they want us to believe...
    one thing for sure the anime scene here is dead.

you write them and tell them la, guarantee here they are under lock and key and embargoed so they dunnoe exactly what's going on. Do your fellow countrymen a favor brotha!
    you think i what? i don't own any anime shares here you know

you can block alot of things, but you cannot block the internet

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    you think i what? i don't own any anime shares here you know

you can block alot of things, but you cannot block the internet
    i dun think you're anything but a fellow patriot who can do something for your fellow countrymen since you mentioned that you have contacts in the industry and you are versed in the japanese language. speaking of anime shares are those traded in the stockmarket there? interested in knowing how they perform since you mention it.

of course dead, no one will even further want to buy the anime from the local shops. Make the shops rot and die.

i read in the papers that there was death threat letter sent to the director right? How's the update? is he still alive?
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

All thanks to the F@#$ing geniuses at Odex.

Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2 View Post
    of course dead, no one will even further want to buy the anime from the local shops. Make the shops rot and die.

i read in the papers that there was death threat letter sent to the director right? How's the update? is he still alive?
    that one was blown out of proportion but i have to say the ones who did that didn't help their cause.

Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 31823262728293033 ... LastLast