Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1419222324252629 ... LastLast

Thread: Odex Directors wanna sue anime downloaders in Singapore.

Default Re: Odex Directors wanna sue anime downloaders in Singapore.

That's a big IF the AG decides to charge. If he goes after all the copyright infringement people, maybe our courts will be fully booked for maybe the next 2-3 years? (Just a tongue-in-cheek, I dun really know how cases like these works).

And the anime productions houses, I don't think they will really come down here, set up a proxy or representative company just to charge people with copyright infringement. I haven't seen any similar actions by them in other parts of the world where their anime markets are under bigger threats. I suppose they are more concerned about their public image than xedO.

Of course, I dun encourage people to download. Just that like all the rest, I lament the lack of effort by companies to expand the anime market here.
    Last edited by Prismatic; 27th August 2007 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prismatic View Post
    That's a big IF the AG decides to charge. If he goes after all the copyright infringement people, maybe our courts will be fully booked for maybe the next 2-3 years? (Just a tongue-in-cheek, I dun really know how cases like this works).

And the anime productions house, I don't think they will really come down here, set up a proxy or representative company just to charge people with copyright infringement. I haven't seen any similar actions by them in other parts of the world where their anime markets are under bigger threats. I suppose they are more concerned about their public image than xedO.

Of course, I dun encourage people to download. Just that like all the rest, I lament the lack of effort by companies to expand the anime market here.
    no he can just charge all of them together as co-defendants since they all admit to the same offence that way can save the public's time and money.
    Last edited by garou12; 27th August 2007 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    if its kids who sign thencan ask judge to repeal coz they're not old enuff to understand what they sign. If its the parents sign for them...they're screwed...
    pretty much... but depends on how you argue. the ones who have paid Odex upon letters of demand would have difficulties taking the monies back. the ones who have signed could always argue something else.

http://law.freeadvice.com/general_pr..._contracts.htm

The more common defenses to a breach of contract claim are:

(1) One side was not competent to enter into the contract, either due to age or mental illness;

(2) One side had a "free way out" and really never provided any form of "consideration";

(3) One side was under pressure and duress or other undue influence to sign;

(4) One side engaged in "fraud" to procure the contract;

(5) One side prevented the other from fulfilling its/her/his end of the bargain;

(6) The original contract was changed with the agreement of all parties;

(7) There was a mistake of fact or mistake of law prior to signing the contract;

(8) The contract has an illegal purpose or act;

(9) Something happened, through no fault of either side, making the duties under the contract impossible to perform;

(10) The side claiming the breach accepted the performance without claiming a breach had occurred.

i think people do have a way out if they want, esp if based on point 3.
    i find odex's way of demanding money very strange because while people are paying you your so-called damages, why would you want to make people sign as well ? to back up your own sh*t?

besides, why are they even demanding money from users ? where do the money go to after odex collected? back to the owners or sole distributors?

and no... i think those who didnt sign also would be screwed so long downloading is involved - including watching free anime off internet like youtube or crunchyroll etc. i think odex just opened a huge can of worms. if the owners of the anime wanted to, they can sue the whole lot of internet users
    爱是要时间慢慢培养的。。

Quote Originally Posted by furrycake View Post
    pretty much... but depends on how you argue. the ones who have paid Odex upon letters of demand would have difficulties taking the monies back. the ones who have signed could always argue something else.

i think people do have a way out if they want, esp if based on point 3.
    i find odex's way of demanding money very strange because while people are paying you your so-called damages, why would you want to make people sign as well ? to back up your own sh*t?

besides, why are they even demanding money from users ? where do the money go to after odex collected? back to the owners or sole distributors?

and no... i think those who didnt sign also would be screwed so long downloading is involved - including watching free anime off internet like youtube or crunchyroll etc. i think odex just opened a huge can of worms. if the owners of the anime wanted to, they can sue the whole lot of internet users
    it has been mentioned before already Duress is very hard to prove in the courts here. They only view extreme situations as duress such as being locked in a room deprieved of food water toilet and sleep and then yelled at till sign.

I already mentioned the money thing and asked where is the excess amount is going since its been shown that their online pi is not as expensive as they claimed it to be.

Just a question, if it becomes a criminal case, other than the possible jail sentence, does the fine goes to the state coffers or the victim of the case?

Just a question, if it becomes a criminal case, other than the possible jail sentence, does the fine goes to the state coffers or the victim of the case?
    the state. The victim will get what the defendent is ordered to pay by the court outside of the fine.

BayTSP got free demo. You don't suppose.... ?

Quote Originally Posted by StreetShooter View Post
    wa! cheapo!!!
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

wa if that's true and its what they use...

Will the results from the program expire after 30 days or not?

Anyway, maybe someone can contact BayTSP for a quote, then we will be able to know how much exactly is the cost of using their service already.

it has been mentioned before already Duress is very hard to prove in the courts here. They only view extreme situations as duress such as being locked in a room deprieved of food water toilet and sleep and then yelled at till sign.

I already mentioned the money thing and asked where is the excess amount is going since its been shown that their online pi is not as expensive as they claimed it to be.
    nay... can fight one. i read a sample of the letter and it's really quite frightening to layman like the poor kids and their parents. esp when they attached the details of when u downloaded, and what eps you downloaded.

pls lah, odex should just stop fighting this stupid battle of theirs. i think even non anime-lovers also unhappy with the way they're dealing with the kids/ parents. i'm still waiting for their letter because i did watch youtube. hmmm
    爱是要时间慢慢培养的。。

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
    爱是要时间慢慢培养的。。

I think watching on youtube is a bit harder to trace right? Is youtube using some form of p2p streaming? If not, if someone wants to know the users watching a particular video, they have to ask youtube to release the logs from their servers. And youtube usually takes down the video instead of releasing IPs.

nay... can fight one. i read a sample of the letter and it's really quite frightening to layman like the poor kids and their parents. esp when they attached the details of when u downloaded, and what eps you downloaded.

pls lah, odex should just stop fighting this stupid battle of theirs. i think even non anime-lovers also unhappy with the way they're dealing with the kids/ parents. i'm still waiting for their letter because i did watch youtube. hmmm
    can fight is one thing but the court will say why you never go engage lawyer since you have access and time to do so before meeting with odex...how you answer? I too scared to do so? judge will tell you too bad then.

I think watching on youtube is a bit harder to trace right? Is youtube using some form of p2p streaming? If not, if someone wants to know the users watching a particular video, they have to ask youtube to release the logs from their servers. And youtube usually takes down the video instead of releasing IPs.
    ISPs would know anything and everything you do on your pc via internet.. like our server would know everything we do on our pcs

the case that Odex is putting up now is, they claiming against those who 'downloaded' the free anime. downloaded isnt just downloading the chapter/ episode into your pc, it also includes viewing free anime. i think that includes people who surf youtube

difficult or not, i think Odex should just fold up.
    爱是要时间慢慢培养的。。

can fight is one thing but the court will say why you never go engage lawyer since you have access and time to do so before meeting with odex...how you answer? I too scared to do so? judge will tell you too bad then.
    exactly... no lawyer thats why co-erced to sign on the darn papers
    爱是要时间慢慢培养的。。

vince123123
    Guests

I believe there's a specific exception in the Copyright Act which excludes liability for browsing of websites. I think YouTube may fall under that exception - which could be (one of the many reasons?) why Odex has not yet targetted Youtube watchers.

exactly... no lawyer thats why co-erced to sign on the darn papers
    no lawyer but the defendent's access to one was never blocked. so no fly kite here. now if their office was on Pulau tekong...

no lawyer but the defendent's access to one was never blocked. so no fly kite here. now if their office was on Pulau tekong...
    this is what Odex has done - they made use of the fact that many people are afraid of legal matters - kena letter of demand then just pay and hopefully the matter ends as that. unfortunately even if they were to pay Odex, they cannot escape the law. that's what odex was saying - that even if odex doesnt want to pursue against the users, the law still goes after the users. duhz
    爱是要时间慢慢培养的。。

juz browsed BayTSP webby. It seems that most of their works are targetting uploaders and issuing of Take Down notices. How does this translate to downloaders info.

*edit* and yeah.. they do provide demo.
    Last edited by CYRN; 27th August 2007 at 05:02 PM.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1419222324252629 ... LastLast