Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 111619202122232631 ... LastLast

Thread: Odex Directors wanna sue anime downloaders in Singapore.

Default Re: Odex Directors wanna sue anime downloaders in Singapore.

1 upz for the Learned & Wise Judge Mr Earnest Lau Indeed!!!

He can be Singapore Justice Bao!

Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    need to wait and see what happen in 13 days. IF appeal falls thru for them, they're finished.
    And probably Singtel along with them - to my mind (and kudos to Judge Lau for coming out in the open) they showed NO interest to protecting their customers.

A case of arrogance or total apathy - or something very typical of local companies, that they don't believe in developing a personal relationship with the customer?

Quote Originally Posted by drakon09 View Post
    And probably Singtel along with them - to my mind (and kudos to Judge Lau for coming out in the open) they showed NO interest to protecting their customers.

A case of arrogance or total apathy - or something very typical of local companies, that they don't believe in developing a personal relationship with the customer?
    i wouldn't say local. Just big firms that get too big for themselves and lose touch with their customers like GM and IBM...

Honestly, in this day and age, I don't really believe that IP addresses can be counted conclusive proof of the identity of people logging onto torrent trackers. Many people these days are using wireless routers in their home network and many don't even enable WEP or other security on their networks. Any person in the router range can piggyback on these networks, and he/she will just show up as another IP address logged to that particular account.

Unless of course the ISPs also log MAC addresses, then maybe the downloads can be traced to a particular computer. Even that isn't foolproof, cos there are ways to clone MAC addresses.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    Erm... dat doesn't really mean u can continue downloading leh.

P/S: Are u in the IT line as well? *ahem*
    paiseh, i dun watch gundam seed nor gundam seed destiny... cos too kiddish for me, i am still stuck on the UC era...

2 weeks more to Another Century Episode 3 : The Final... have u got yours yet?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prismatic View Post
    Honestly, in this day and age, I don't really believe that IP addresses can be counted conclusive proof of the identity of people logging onto torrent trackers. Many people these days are using wireless routers in their home network and many don't even enable WEP or other security on their networks. Any person in the router range can piggyback on these networks, and he/she will just show up as another IP address logged to that particular account.

Unless of course the ISPs also log MAC addresses, then maybe the downloads can be traced to a particular computer. Even that isn't foolproof, cos there are ways to clone MAC addresses.
    Seriously, you say wireless not secured, kinda weak defense...

A bigger defense if i was to use is the IP masking... for eg, alot of IT savvy ppl if you guys know, when we enter a website, can identify you which country you are from... then they have pages specific for the region you are in, so if you wanna go in as like for eg, US citizen, how? change your IP lor...

So let say what if some joker mask their IP using your IP and use it to download massive amount of BT... suay liao lor...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

It's only an example, but seriously, if you go to those really dense HDB estates, you will be surprised at the number of unsecured networks you can access. One of my neighbours' network got hijacked last year, some idiot logged into his unsecured network and changed the permission list and then his router password. So my neighbour got locked out of his own network.

Quote Originally Posted by Prismatic View Post
    It's only an example, but seriously, if you go to those really dense HDB estates, you will be surprised at the number of unsecured networks you can access. One of my neighbours' network got hijacked last year, some idiot logged into his unsecured network and changed the permission list and then his router password. So my neighbour got locked out of his own network.
    blame himself lor... i still trust my wired network... i dun on my wireless unless necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    paiseh, i dun watch gundam seed nor gundam seed destiny... cos too kiddish for me, i am still stuck on the UC era...

2 weeks more to Another Century Episode 3 : The Final... have u got yours yet?
    Erm... Nope.

Erm... Nope.
    makes me wonder why now suddenly odex letter's switch letter heads...

NLNT!

Oh! Notice the discrepancy liaoz and den they suddenly change letterhead?

Ppl already question their integrity & motive liaoz, and if they keep changing pattern and chut pattern to suit their own taste and think they can get away with the questioning by public, I can tell u, whatever's left of their so-called 'altruism', integrity will all go down the drain.

They will never be able to raise their heads high up in the Business Community liaoz.

Oh! Notice the discrepancy liaoz and den they suddenly change letterhead?

Ppl already question their integrity & motive liaoz, and if they keep changing pattern and chut pattern to suit their own taste and think they can get away with the questioning by public, I can tell u, whatever's left of their so-called 'altruism', integrity will all go down the drain.

They will never be able to raise their heads high up in the Business Community liaoz.
    there's that thing about AVPS president now saying he authorize odex to go after downloaders...though i fail to see the point since AVPS prez is odex prez...their credibility in the biz world should have been gone the minute their previous co, gamesmart got exposed for selling pirated games. also how did they get that downloader's list of downloads in that sample letter i posted if they never engage bay???
    Last edited by garou12; 25th August 2007 at 03:44 PM.

their previous co, gamesmart got exposed for selling pirated games.
    u serious? .....
    u mean like the thief going to police station making report about a robbery in his house?
    always the Light, .... always.

there's that thing about AVPS president now saying he authorize odex to go after downloaders...though i fail to see the point since AVPS prez is odex prez...their credibility in the biz world should have been gone the minute their previous co, gamesmart got exposed for selling pirated games. also how did they get that downloader's list of downloads in that sample letter i posted if they never engage bay???
    Correction.

AVPAS President is a neutral party.
    AVPAS Vice President & Secretary are from Odex and from the website, it seems that it purely consist of Odex and not other distributors like Poh Kim, TS Video, etc.

What's more the registered address for AVPAS seems to be Odex's office itself.

So, set up a Anti-Video Piracy Association for their own interest or to serve the interest of the Nation?

Seriously, I'm really having my doubts big time over the entire thing right down to the people involved!

Correction.

AVPAS President is a neutral party.
    AVPAS Vice President & Secretary are from Odex and from the website, it seems that it purely consist of Odex and not other distributors like Poh Kim, TS Video, etc.

What's more the registered address for AVPAS seems to be Odex's office itself.

So, set up a Anti-Video Piracy Association for their own interest or to serve the interest of the Nation?

Seriously, I'm really having my doubts big time over the entire thing right down to the people involved!
    neutral party huh? that mean he's their figurehead? no it's really puzzling if singnet just roll over and not fight, why did odex say they had to pay the isp for the info?
    Last edited by garou12; 25th August 2007 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    u serious? .....
    u mean like the thief going to police station making report about a robbery in his house?
    yea u look back a couple of pages you can see the link about gamesmart...you will see 2 names that are from odex.

http://sgcafe.com/showthread.php?t=36440&page=2

Vince123123 post alot of legal analysis there about the case. Very insightful...Vince if you see this you're my hero together with judge lau!

Quote Originally Posted by odex.com.sg
    The average amount of compensation paid by those who have settled is about $3,000 to $5,000. At present, no damages have been claimed, and the copyright owners are only seeking reimbursement for the expenses that Odex has incurred on their behalf in pursuing these enforcement matters, as part of an early settlement before claims are filed in court.

Settlements before action are very common in practice. Far from amounting to extortion, they represent a sensible way of redressing wrongs and grievances, and allowing the parties a way out of unnecessary litigation. Should the copyright owners’ attempts (through Odex) to amicably resolve matters be rejected by any downloader, then the copyright owners are free to commence legal proceedings against the downloaders to claim all remedies that they are entitled to claim under Singapore law, including damages, an injunction, and legal costs.
    tink those whom signed the papers better know what they have admitted.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

vince123123
    Guests

Lol thanks, you even found me all the way over there.

http://sgcafe.com/showthread.php?t=36440&page=2

Vince123123 post alot of legal analysis there about the case. Very insightful...Vince if you see this you're my hero together with judge lau!

Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 111619202122232631 ... LastLast